BLISS Alaska Maiden Voyage Travelogue

Motegi

I'm asking both of the Bliss cruisers - how's the post-Juneau glacier viewing? Second-guessing myself about Tracy Arm excursion, wondering if it's good enough from the Bliss. Please share pix or opinions! thanks

We booked the Tracy Arm excursion but wonder if Big Ship changes location what happens to excursion

Another request :) Is there a possibility you get a photo of the kids menu that they use in the specialty restaurants - that are free - I have a very picky 10 year-old and I'm debating on buying a specialty package for him. Thank you in advance -

WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR MK hooded hat - is that a jacket or a vest? super cute!!!!!

We will try to ask for a kids menu when we are at Cagneys later this week and I’ll post the picture here for you.

The MK is a hooded vest. I believe that we found it at a Nordstrom Rack. Or perhaps it was at Saks Off 5th. We got it about a week before our cruise.

I'm asking both of the Bliss cruisers - how's the post-Juneau glacier viewing? Second-guessing myself about Tracy Arm excursion, wondering if it's good enough from the Bliss. Please share pix or opinions! thanks

We booked the Tracy Arm excursion but wonder if Big Ship changes location what happens to excursion

The Tracy Arm Excursion is TOTALLY WORTH IT!!! Unless you are doing the Misty Fjord excursion in Ketchikan already I would highly recommend the Tracy Arm Excursion in Juneau.

I will post photos later (once I get the 1000+ sorted out) but we saw two humpback whales up close, two bears, four bald eagles, three harbor seals, countless waterfalls, and large blue icebergs literally bumping against the side of the boat. And the best part was spending over an hour within 150 - 200 yards from the face of the glacier and witnessing multiple ice calving. And they had free coffee and hot cocoa as well as donut holes to keep us warm and fed during the voyage. There was a naturalist on board who explained everything and they stopped for each animal sighting to allow everyone to get photos.

The Bliss came up behind us but stopped maybe 1/2 mile from the glacier. You could still see it but only from a distance. The excursion boat was MUCH MUCH closer.

Ocean Blue

The Review:

We chose the specialty dining package as one of our Feel Free perks when we booked our cabin.

And since we are sailing into a region well known for its seafood, we decided to choose OceanBlue as one our dinners.

The service was a little slow at the beginning with no drink order, water, or bread for some time. Having reservations for the Havana musical in two hours we reached out to the next person that walked by. She said she would talk to our waiter. That waiter never came. But eventually the female waitress ended up taking over our table. It was smooth sailing afterward!

Here is a new question for you - how long is it daylight there? I have never been to Alaska and I know they are daylight a good chunk of the day/evening. Thanks a million!

The night sky at 11 pm.

A7924_F9_B-6_BBE-4043-_B78_E-_D454_D0_CA6_D9_A.jpg

We will try to ask for a kids menu when we are at Cagneys later this week and I’ll post the picture here for you.

The MK is a hooded vest. I believe that we found it at a Nordstrom Rack. Or perhaps it was at Saks Off 5th. We got it about a week before our cruise.

Thank you for possible getting me a photo of the Specialty kids menu - AND I'm googling the MK vest ;) - So have you just worn jeans on your trips off to the ports? I was only going to pack 1 pair - but due to the rain, I may need more?;p

Enjoying your review. Alaska Fish House. This is where we are embarking for halibut fishing in Ketchikan in July. They will cook your catch, but we are hoping to catch and have them ship it home for some good halibut on the grill when we return.

The Tracy Arm Excursion is TOTALLY WORTH IT!!! Unless you are doing the Misty Fjord excursion in Ketchikan already I would highly recommend the Tracy Arm Excursion in Juneau.

I will post photos later (once I get the 1000+ sorted out) but we saw two humpback whales up close, two bears, four bald eagles, three harbor seals, countless waterfalls, and large blue icebergs literally bumping against the side of the boat. And the best part was spending over an hour within 150 - 200 yards from the face of the glacier and witnessing multiple ice calving. And they had free coffee and hot cocoa as well as donut holes to keep us warm and fed during the voyage. There was a naturalist on board who explained everything and they stopped for each animal sighting to allow everyone to get photos.

The Bliss came up behind us but stopped maybe 1/2 mile from the glacier. You could still see it but only from a distance. The excursion boat was MUCH MUCH closer.

Is it called The Tracy Arm Excursion. I’m going on the Bliss in September and I can’t find that shored listed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is it called The Tracy Arm Excursion. I’m going on the Bliss in September and I can’t find that shored listed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is the name of the excursion. Someone posted that it wasn't showing up on the September 8th cruise. Not sure what date you are booked, but the small print does say it stops in September, not sure when, because of earlier darkness and more ice. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I've been following along since you started this thread and just wanted to pop in to thank you for the travelogue and amazing pics. You are a GREAT photographer!! Appreciate the pics and ship info. AND the Seattle info. You are an active young couple! Hubby and I have been to Seattle twice but this will be my mom's first visit. She's 88. She is just a wee bit excited about the whole trip. LOL! :D(We're on the last Bliss Alaska cruise of the season - Sep 22.)

Did they make you wear life vests or was it optional?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Tracy Arm Excursion is TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

I will post photos later (once I get the 1000+ sorted out)

I CAN'T WAIT to see your pics. Thanks for all the info. We booked this excursion today! July 14th sailing. Just wondering about how many ppl were on the excursion?

The Tracy Arm Excursion is TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

I will post photos later (once I get the 1000+ sorted out)

I CAN'T WAIT to see your pics. Thanks for all the info. We booked this excursion today! July 14th sailing. Just wondering about how many ppl were on the excursion?

Teppanyaki Specialty Dining

I have to say this was hands down the BEST teppanyaki dinner I’ve ever had anywhere. Both the entertainment and the food were incredible. All of the chefs sing and tell jokes the entire time. The food was delicious and perfectly prepared from start to finish.

And to top it all off we got to see a whale outside our window while we were eating!

55318247-6881-4_C5_C-9_E7_D-_E28129_A9_F137.jpg

5_D7_C80_CB-_AF69-42_A7-9_E08-815_E69132008.jpg

66552_B57-_C5_AE-4323-_BF92-332_BEBA19_EA2.jpg

71_C53102-7_E9_A-4506-8783-5_D1467077162.jpg

E8_B7_F31_E-6_B58-4_F2_E-_BCD5-_D127_BCA8_C95_F.jpg

EBDF714_C-9_F20-4_DE1-825_D-57_C434_E470_EE.jpg

When I booked this for our August cruise the rep told me the excursion would allow up to 125 people

That’s probably about accurate. I recommend to get a seat on the second level if you want to be able to go outside or be able to easily get on the uppermost open deck. If you don’t want to go outside or if the weather is bad then stay in the lower level nearby one of the windows.

Also be sure to dress warmly if you want to spend time outside. It was surprisingly MUCH colder on this excursion than it was out on the glacier with the sled dogs. I think it was the wind sweeping through the fjord off of the glacier that was so frigid. Heavy coat, think pants, gloves, face mask or scarf and warm shoes would all be recommended.

This was the excursion boat. It looks tiny next to the Bliss but it was actually quite large. Three decks. Bar. Multiple

Bathrooms. Open decks on second and third floors.

E2_B1_B416-97_E7-4234-_BDAA-723_A8_E17_F08_A.jpg

This is how close we got to the icebergs

9_BED9841-210_D-48_E1-9_F35-_EC9684832_A69.jpg

This is how close we got to the glacier. And we even got a little closer. Plus we stayed there for at least an hour if not more!

4_EEA6_E28-_F3_E3-477_B-_A4_F9-0_DE0_AF15214_B.jpg

This is how far they took the Bliss:

53_C1379_E-_AB69-4_C89-_B8_F7-_F110_AE988010.jpg

0390_B1_B5-531_A-4548-_AC61-0_D0_F6_C7_FD6_CC.jpg

Our approach back from the glacier to the Bliss to reboard at the end of the excursion:

432_EE113-_B158-413_B-_A6_BE-38803_B39_F57_E.jpg

Laser Tag!

Make sure to reserve a time at the box office along with the GoKarts and the shows on boarding/embarkation day. Many of these things fill up and the night in Alaska can be cold and windy. I recommend to do GoKarts and LaserTag on embarkation day or on the first sea day.

Laser tag was a literal blast!!! You will get teamed up with others unless you bring your own team. We were divided into two groups of eight. Then they assigned one worker to each team to give us the safety briefing and to coach us during the competition. And what a competition it was! Pam and I were totally out of breath after each of the two 10 minute rounds. Our team won both rounds and Pam and I got first and second place in points for our team on the second session! Bring your running shoes and grab a Starbucks beforehand for some energy!

The Team!!!

95_AB9_FF1-20_F7-41_C0-8325-_B779566_F89_F6.jpg

The Weapons

CEBDFB2_B-_C702-4_D4_C-81_EC-52_D7_B8858_F56.jpg

The Course

663733_AA-752_B-4294-_A0_CE-64_DD422_F5_EAF.jpg

0661_FAAC-8510-4_E2_C-8_D90-555_C9395_E763.jpg

The Map

60_F4_D26_B-0570-4308-_B29_B-63_E8_D0_C24983.jpg

The VICTORS!

128_C20_E7-322_D-4712-9_CF1-_F4_FD812288_DE.jpg