Questions About Viking Ocean vs Food Allergies

Karen_Travels

Aloha!

I'll be traveling on Viking Ocean for the first time in November. I'm familiar with how Viking River handles food allergies (review the menu a day ahead of time to pick foods for lunch and dinner in the main dining room - often with a personal chat with the chef prior to or during meals).

It sounds like the process is basically the same on Viking Ocean. The difference is Viking Ocean has more eating options and the Restaurant is rarely open for lunch. I'm wondering if this means I will need to bring food for lunch like I did while traveling on Celebrity. (At least I lost weight while traveling with Celebrity so there's that! ;))

If you have allergies, did Viking make any effort to identify foods that would be safe for lunch and/or at any of their other eating venues? Were you able to find someone who was knowledgeable to ask about the ingredients in the food, other than in the Restaurant and two specialty restaurants? Were you able to order allergen-free foods through room service?

I need to avoid gluten/wheat, dairy, soy, and corn so it's a challenge! This is one of the reasons we've mostly stuck to cruise travel over the last few years. That ways I can usually get at least a meal or two per day that's safe to eat.

Oh, and yes, I've notified Viking about my allergies and I'll remind them again once we're closer to departure.

Thanks, in advance, to anyone who is willing to provide insights on this!

Kind Regards,

Karen :D

There is always a manager on duty in the buffet who will answer questions for you and check recipes etc.

There are always hard boiled eggs at breakfast along with fresh fruits, smoked fishes, oatmeal (?), steamed rice, just to name a few of the items on the extensive buffet. The MDR is rarely open for lunch but there are still plenty of choices in the buffet including salads, fresh fruits and veggies. Lots of healthy choices without sauces and other sources of hidden allergens.

On our recent cruise they were proactive re dietary requirements especially around food allergies. The would ask when taking your order but of course in the buffet you can choose for yourself and they would be more than happy to advise on any ingredients if you asked.

Karen I did respond on the other thread but world cafe will get your food separately, change gloves etc. I have also had the manager get my food from the kitchen or supervisor it is separate. I have not been sick. I have ordered room service and was fine too at breakfast. When I first get on the ship, I talk with the head chef and introduce myself and ask questions. Go on the galley tour and ask questions.

However I ordered very plain and love fish and salads and fresh fruit.

We travel with a friend who has a 2-page list of allergies. Our travel agent sends it to Viking prior to our cruises and our friend meets with the chef and manager when we board. She reviews the dinner mdr dinner menu rather night before each meal and they work out what she will have. If we are going to a specialty restaurant they will bring that meal to her or, if possible, modify the specialty restaurant meal for her. During the day, she goes to the world cafe and they work with her on what she can eat.

It all goes very smoothly and I’ve been very impressed with how much time and effort is spent to accommodate her situation.

Thanks for all the great information everyone! I really appreciate it.

geffrick - Glad to hear you were able to get food that was safe. Taking the galley tour is a great idea! I did that on my last Viking River cruise but by then I was already on a first name basis with the chef (he was fabulous!). On the bigger ship I'm sure I'll have more of a learning curve to figure out the best people to ask at various venues and times of day. I'm curious on the room service. Is that ordered over the phone or do they have an option through the TV? Just wondering since it sounds like there are so many options for scheduling things through the TV menu. It seems like it might be easier to do in writing rather than over the phone.

I prefer to be a bit more adventurous eater (but it's too bad I don't like sushi) but usually plain food is the only safe option.

Krisval - Oh, my. I feel for your friend! It's difficult enough with my allergies. I'm glad she was able to eat safely there. Those must have been interesting conversations with the ship's staff. I like to look at the challenge of ordering allergen-free food as free table-side dinner theater! :') It sounds like your friend was able to get substantial food for lunch, not just raw vegetables and fruit, is that right? Usually anything cooked has a high likelihood of being covered with butter or margarine but Viking seems more allergy-aware. On Celebrity the only buffet items I could count on for lunch were a salad with no dressing and some fruit. :loudcry: I need more protein than that, particularly with a busy sightseeing schedule.

So far it sounds a lot better than Celebrity (no surprise) although Celebrity did have bread I could eat. Viking River did not but I'm hoping Viking Ocean will. Viking River doesn't really have room in their galley for baking. Sounds like I should still plan to bring some peanut butter and GF bread but that I should generally be able to find a few decent lunch options on the ship.

Any other insights would be appreciated!

Thanks again!

Karen

Our friend had no trouble with getting food prepared exactly as needed (olive oil, no butter, only certain vegetables, seafood and proteins she could eat, sometimes a special dessert just for her). She has been on several ocean and river cruises with us and has always received individual attention. We usually sit in the same location for dinner in the VO main dining room, so have the same staff each time- this helps cut down on the amount of time explaining the food situation. She also quickly identifies staff in the World Cafe she can rely on to work with her on any special orders. A similar experience on the river cruises- talk with the chef, work with the restaurant manager, and buddy up to the staff.

Our friend had no trouble with getting food prepared exactly as needed (olive oil, no butter, only certain vegetables, seafood and proteins she could eat, sometimes a special dessert just for her). She has been on several ocean and river cruises with us and has always received individual attention. We usually sit in the same location for dinner in the VO main dining room, so have the same staff each time- this helps cut down on the amount of time explaining the food situation. She also quickly identifies staff in the World Cafe she can rely on to work with her on any special orders. A similar experience on the river cruises- talk with the chef, work with the restaurant manager, and buddy up to the staff.

Kris, is that because there are 10 of you (and only a few tables large enough to accommodate you all) or because it was arranged during the allergy meeting?

Still, it should be possible for anyone to arrange it so that they are always seated in the same place and are waited on by the same team night after night. Add it the list when you talk with the chef and restaurant manager.