Booking on board?

we have booked on board before and I think deposit was $50 a person or something.

Wife is on enchantment currently and they are saying $250 a person to book.

Has this changed recently? Why would you book on board now? I see no advantages

When booking at the Next Cruise desk the deposit should be $100 per person on a non-refundable fare. If they are trying to book a refundable fare the $250 per person is correct. You also get extra on board credit when you book on board. We always do it to get the low deposit and extra OBC. Royal dropped the low deposits for a while but then brought them back. We were on Harmony three weeks ago and booked that way.

Am I crazy though? I swear we booked for $50 and it was refundable and we could switch it to other ship if we changed or sometbing. I assume that's just gone away

You are correct, that's the way it used to be. They changed it about a year ago.

I don't remember it ever being $50 when we did it, always $100 per person, but it certainly could have been at some point in time. The current policy has only been in effect since about February or March of this year (2018). After they came up with the non-refundable deposits the low deposits were dropped for a while. Last fall we were on Rhapsody and no low deposits were available so we booked our next cruise on Celebrity where they were still there.

I don't remember it ever being $50 ...

They would have some half-price deposit promos from time to time, which would come out to $50 for those short cruises that normally had $100 deposits.

We will be on RCL later this year. From what I recall, $200 OBC is offered for booking 7 day onboard. Is this in addition to any "sales" that may be offering OBC on the website at the time? I recall speaking to someone at the office last year but don't recall anything offered other than the $200 OBC, even though the sailing was over 1 year out.

They would have some half-price deposit promos from time to time, which would come out to $50 for those short cruises that normally had $100 deposits.

$50 for a 7 night inside cabin was the normal deposit at next-cruise - until they rolled out the non-refundable option.....:(

I made a couple of bookings on board last year that were 7 days and only had to pay $50 total, not sure what promo was going on at the time.

$50 total for two people?

We will be on RCL later this year. From what I recall, $200 OBC is offered for booking 7 day onboard. Is this in addition to any "sales" that may be offering OBC on the website at the time? I recall speaking to someone at the office last year but don't recall anything offered other than the $200 OBC, even though the sailing was over 1 year out.

Anyone? Thanks.

Yes, the OBC from booking on board is usually combinable with other sales promos.

Am I crazy though? I swear we booked for $50 and it was refundable and we could switch it to other ship if we changed or sometbing. I assume that's just gone away

When you book on board you have 30 days to switch ships or dates without penalty.

Just a quick thread hijack for a related question...

Are there any benefits for booking a future Celebrity cruise onboard a Royal ship, or are the reduced deposits/OBC only for Royal Caribbean bookings?

Booking Celebrity on Royal is just like booking onboard Celebrity. You get the low deposit, extra OBC as well as whatever promotion Celebrity is running at the time.

If you book a non-refundable deposit fare, then you get a reduced deposit of $100 per person. If you want a refundable deposit, then you pay full deposit.

For Royal, is there still any OBC for booking on board (ref or non ref?)? I do not think so , but DH says there is.(???????)