Category "IS" Guarantee, anyone done this?

We booked a cabin on the Carnival Triumph, category "IS" guarantee. Has anyone ever booked this type of guarantee and if so, were you upgraded? If not, what type of cabin did you get booked in? Thanks!

Carnival Triumph Here We Come!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;06;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We originally booked a gty. IS (inside stateroom), but we upgraded to a balcony guarantee. I'd say your chances of an upgrade are very good, but don't be surprised if it's within the same category (inside), but just up a few decks on the ship. (i.e. 4A to 4E)

I know there have been many upgrades outside the original category, if they have that available, so you might go from inside to an ocenview, too!

Have fun!

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - '94

Royal Majesty - '96

Countdown to VICTORY

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

• 2 months later...

There are so many variables with regards to upgrades. How early did you book? When are you traveling? How many rooms are "yoked" together in a party? Etc.

My friend and I booked an October cruise almost a year ahead of time--paid for an inside guarantee and ended up two decks higher in an oceanview. Have always been upgraded at least 2 classes when booking 6-8 mos in advance. Later than that, I've not had the privilege of being upgraded.

My advice is this: If you're going to be content without the upgrade, stick with what you've got. If your heart is set on being upgraded and you'll be majorly disappointed if you're not, go ahead and pay for it.

Happy Cruising!

What exactly is an "IS" guarantee (inside stateroom)..Well, I know its an inside stateroom and all but what level is that considered? 1A, 4A, 6A,etc???

I'm thinking its maybe the 4a's but not too sure.

I booked an IS and yesterday when i received my docs it was a 4A. So i did not get an upgrade but only expected this type of cabin. By the way i booked back in January and have been on 5 previous cruises with Carnival so maybe it does not matter when you book or how many cruises you have been on. It is all the luck of the draw

inside cabins are all 4's the letter after the 4 states what deck you are on.

A- Riveria B is Main etc etc. 6 is an oceanview and again the letter states which deck you are on. you can book a high 4 and be on the higest deck possible and get upgraded to the 6A which is a ocean view Riveria Deck. (some people dont think this is an upgrade at all)

There really isnt rhyme or reason to getting upgrades, Its all the luck of the draw. If you book an inside gaurantee you can get any of the decks. Some consider moving up a deck an upgrade where others feel that moving up in category is trully an upgrade. ( moving from an inside to an ocean view)

I would like to see how people are booking for summer cruises what their upgrades are.,

So if you book an IS guarantee on Carnival, you won't get a 1A? Is that for sure? Is it in writing somewhere? The reason I asked is that on the cruise I'm interested in, the price is the same for 1A (specific cabin) and IS guarantee (though I noticed that IS is higher for some other cruises). We really don't want to do the bunk bed in 1A, but other than that, we'll be OK with any old 4A.

Thank you, serene56. I didn't know cat4 GTY is available as an option since it wasn't listed on the cruise I was looking at. If so, it would make sense that IS can include 1A. Why it can sometimes cost more is beyond me, but the pricing is often odd anyway.

depending on how well a sailing is you will see that oceanviews are selling for less then an inside. Or balconies are less then oceanvews. Make sure you check ALL the options.

Most see a category as a guarantee. If there are hardly any more insides left they wont allow you to book as a guarantee only a certain cabin.

• 2 months later...
So if you book an IS guarantee on Carnival, you won't get a 1A? Is that for sure? Is it in writing somewhere?
I'm way late on this response, but if anyone else has the same question, I quote the Carnival website's description of category IS guarantee:

"Includes stateroom categories: 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D, 4E, 4F and 4G"

So it sounds to me like you would definitely not get an 1A upper/lower if you booked category IS.

That quote happened to be from the Conquest, but I know it says the same thing for Miracle and suspect it says the same thing for the other ships too.

Check the Carnival website and select an IS guarantee room as if you were were going to book it. The description is on that page.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked a guaranteed IS stateroom on the Carnival Legend last January 04 to cruise in February 04. We were upgraded to an extended balcony room!

If you want to save lots of $$ and don't mind taking a chance that you won't get upgraded, I would recommend it.

Archived