London Hilton Property

We're staying just one night post cruise in London and want to be close and in walking distance to where the action is. London Eye??? We were in London more then a few yrs ago and did see a good bit. We'll, also, do a post cruise tour after we get off the ship to Windsor, etc. and get dropped off at our hotel. Last time we stayed in Hyde Park at The Double Tree. The HO HO bus picked up right outside the hotel, but, a lot time spent on the bus to get anywhere. It was ok because it was our first time and we had more time then less then a day.

We'll be using Hilton Honors Points. Any suggestions???

What do you want to do or see? That's probably the primary question.

I'm a Marriott guy not a Hilton guy, but there are both in most parts of London. Our last few visits to London we've stayed in the Park Lane area. That's convenient to Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace & Kensington Palace, and the shopping on Oxford Street and Regent Street, and not too far from Picadilly Circus and even Trafalgar Square. It's also convenient to Paddington Station if you want to take the Heathrow Express back to the airport. So that covers a lot of ground. If you're wanting to do the Eye as a primary event, then the County Hall area is maybe a little better, but it's so easy to get there by Tube that I don't know.

If it were me, with my interests (as stated, plus a strong pull to Jermyn Street...), I'd probably look at the London Hilton on Park Lane. But, again, I know that part of London well and enjoy what it offers...

What do you want to do or see? That's probably the primary question.

I'm a Marriott guy not a Hilton guy, but there are both in most parts of London. Our last few visits to London we've stayed in the Park Lane area. That's convenient to Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace & Kensington Palace, and the shopping on Oxford Street and Regent Street, and not too far from Picadilly Circus and even Trafalgar Square. It's also convenient to Paddington Station if you want to take the Heathrow Express back to the airport. So that covers a lot of ground. If you're wanting to do the Eye as a primary event, then the County Hall area is maybe a little better, but it's so easy to get there by Tube that I don't know.

If it were me, with my interests (as stated, plus a strong pull to Jermyn Street...), I'd probably look at the London Hilton on Park Lane. But, again, I know that part of London well and enjoy what it offers...

We were thinking the London Eye or possibly Picadilly Circus. It's going to be late afternoon until we check into our hotel and probably will get something to eat, maybe at a pub. If the weather cooperates, maybe go on the London Eye.

Conrad St James. Nice place right by Buckingham Palace and Westminster, and Tube station directly across the street..

Thanks, yes, it does look nice, but I don't think I have enough points.:(:(

Hi...there is a Hampton at Waterloo. I assume you can use Hilton points but I don't know! If not, it's a sensible price for London. Good location within walking distance of Waterloo station and a nice stroll (a lot along the Thames) to the Eye. Refurbished rooms, great staff and good choice at buffet breakfast.:p Just a thought. :p

Hi...there is a Hampton at Waterloo. I assume you can use Hilton points but I don't know! If not, it's a sensible price for London. Good location within walking distance of Waterloo station and a nice stroll (a lot along the Thames) to the Eye. Refurbished rooms, great staff and good choice at buffet breakfast.:p Just a thought. :p

That's one of them that I was considering but not sure of how close it was. I think there's also a Double Tree, too??? Thank you!

That's one of them that I was considering but not sure of how close it was. I think there's also a Double Tree, too??? Thank you!

It's about a 15 minute walk (0.7 miles) to the London Eye from the Hampton and 30-40 minute walk to Piccadilly Circus (1.5-1.7 miles). Per Google Maps.The Double Tree is further from either of them. It's about a half hour walk from the Park Lane Hilton to the London Eye, or 15 minutes by bus or about 12 minutes by tube to Westminster and walk across the bridge.

If the Eye and Piccadilly Circus are your two main draws, any of those will work. You have been to London before, so I'm not sure what else you want to see. Park Lane is close to Paddington, so the Express is easily in play; the Waterloo area involves the Tube or a car service.

A plan would be to drop your bags at the hotel. If the weather's good, go to the Eye (I'm not sure if you can book on your phone; if there's a concierge desk at the Hampton, you might get your tickets through them to save time). If memory serves, there's a coffee shop at County Hall, which you might need by that point. Cross Westminster Bridge and either turn right along the river or probably better through Whitehall to Trafalgar Square. If you go uphill on the right side of the National Gallery (away from Nelson), and stay left, there are pubs and restaurants on your left for a bite, and you can go through Leicester Square to Piccadilly Circus. Depending on your interests, time, and exhaustion, you have a number of options, through Green Park, through St. James Park, or along Horse Guards, back to Westminster Bridge, and to Waterloo and your hotel. Just recognize that's probably a little more than 3 miles...

Just one option to look at that hits the two locations you've mentioned. And some idea of distance.

Hampton is pretty new and reasonable but obviously at Hampton level rather than Hilton brand. Which doubletree weee you looking at I can’t think of one near Waterloo (certainly not that side of the river)?

The Double Tree Westminster was the other hotel that Hilton lists as close to the London Eye. It's at the same Point Grade as The Hampton near Waterloo. We don't plan to take the Tube or any transportation because of just getting to our hotel late afternoon because of doing a tour off the ship.

We do want to do the tour to Windsor and Stonehenge post-cruise because we didn't get there on the last trip or we would just take the 2pm flight home and not stay in London a night. I know that staying at Heathrow would be an option, but we don't want to be stuck in a hotel when London is out there! It would be nice to spend a few nights post cruise, but we still have work, plus, would rather fly home on a Sunday then a Monday.

I appreciates everyone's responses! You guys know a heck of a lot more then me! Thank you!!!

I just looked again at your original post. I'd forgotten you were talking post-cruise. This is mid-September? You'll get into London around 3-4 p.m.?

If the weather looks good, you could do the Trafalgar Square-Leicester Square-Piccadilly Circus area first, and hit the Eye towards twilight. My only hesitation on that is if the weather looks good at 3-4, you ride the Eye. The weather changes in London. Everything else I mentioned before is public space, so you're good until dark, and that won't be too early in mid-September.

Oh, and Windsor is wonderful! And I'm one of a small percentage here that really enjoyed Stonehenge. Are you doing a private tour or a bus tour? If a private tour, at least allow a half hour to an hour for the Salisbury Cathedral. It's amazing, AND has one of a handful of original copies of the Magna Carta.

I just looked again at your original post. I'd forgotten you were talking post-cruise. This is mid-September? You'll get into London around 3-4 p.m.?

If the weather looks good, you could do the Trafalgar Square-Leicester Square-Piccadilly Circus area first, and hit the Eye towards twilight. My only hesitation on that is if the weather looks good at 3-4, you ride the Eye. The weather changes in London. Everything else I mentioned before is public space, so you're good until dark, and that won't be too early in mid-September.

Oh, and Windsor is wonderful! And I'm one of a small percentage here that really enjoyed Stonehenge. Are you doing a private tour or a bus tour? If a private tour, at least allow a half hour to an hour for the Salisbury Cathedral. It's amazing, AND has one of a handful of original copies of the Magna Carta.

I was looking at Londontoolkit for the post cruise tour. I'm open to suggestions for that, too It'll be the 29th of Sept that we'll be in London post-cruise. I thought about doing Windsor pre-cruise, but I remembered our last transatlantic flight how tired I was that day of arrival. Yes, it would be a waste of time going on the London Eye if the weather was bad! Thanks for your suggestions! I appreciate it!