Girl overboard on Magica

Liner

thecruisers723 - I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. Your statement about sacrifice really hits close to home. DH actually was downsized out of his position with his company just before Christmas, so financially we absolutely shouldn't be going on this Spring break cruise. However, it hit us that DS is 17, a senior in h.s., and this will probably be our last Spring break together. Next year, I'm sure his break and our daughter's won't coincide anymore. Unlike a lot of people, we actually do spend a lot of family time together on a cruise. We always spend shore time together, as well as our breakfast, dinners, and some of the shows. DD and I enjoy virtually all of the same things, so we spend all of our time together while DH follows us around and watches, amused, from the sidelines.

No matter what type of vacation you take (land or cruise or whatever), it's just awesome that you're getting away as a family, and yes, sometime when our kids are older and more mature, hopefully they'll appreciate our sacrifices.

I remember our last family vacation to Disney when my eldest son was 17 and his younger brother was 15. Neither of them wanted to leave the hotel. They just wanted to sleep and whine because we made them come with us. My Mom and I flew to Florida a week ahead of DH so we could get the Disney thing out of the way first. Fortunately, my DD was 10 and enjoyed herself immensely.

The second week of the vacation is when DH flew to Miami to meet up with us before our short cruise to the Bahamas. The best part of the trip for my sons was when we pulled into the hotel parking lot in Miami and they witnessed a drug bust. I never heard the end of how I could really pick a hotel. I figured the hospital/convention center area would be a safe one. My boys complained about the food--no Egg McMuffins, Tunafish, or anything else on the menu they liked. Pizza was terrible--I'll give them that. Worst of all, was when my oldest boy got seasick. He'll never go on a ship again. That's okay because my other son and DD love to cruise with us.

In early February, we will have our next generation meeting us in Disney. Can't wait for my son to hear his sons complaining and whining this time.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

That's funny about kids complaining about the food on the cruise. We took all 4 of our kids on a cruise 3-1/2 years ago. Before we went, we ranted and raved about the food and how awesome it was. But every meal in the dining room, nothing seemed to appeal to them and they thought the food was just ok. I'm sure that will all change for them some day too. And yes, by then, they'll get to listen to their own kids complain. And we can quitely smile to ourselves when we get to see or hear about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just found this site, while searching for info about Lynsey O'brien. We were also on the cruise when Lynsey went overboard and it was just horrible! The cruise in general was awful! We have cruised 6 times before(3 Royal Car., 2 Carnival, 1 NCL) and loved them all, but this cruise was the cruise from h#**! We had our 2 teens with us(son 18, daughter 13) and we finally talked our friends into going on one. This was their first and they took their 3 boys, 15, 17, & 19 yrs. The first night there was a lot of noise in the room next to ours. It was teens, both american speaking and european accents. We wondered where the parent was? They woke me up. Then the next day we saw and heard an older lady in the room that had an accent(Irish, as we found out later). We feel that whatever happened to Lynsey happened next to our room. We were on Deck 7. There was several teens going in and out of that room and other rooms on Deck 7. Our friends had a balcony room right next to ours, and 3 of our boys were in an inside cabin about 5 down the hall. I have read most of the posts about the incident and I agree, that a lot of rumors were flying, but we know what we heard and saw. Sad thing was that Costa didn't seem to care. No one asked us anything, and when we tried to tell them what we heard and saw, they took our names and room numbers. Never heard from them! Then on Saturday after the deembarkation speech we talked to Max, the cruise director. He seemed shocked about what we told him we heard! He again, took our room numbers and then there was a message to meet with Manuel at the Guest Relations desk that afternoon. So, Weds night after we said goodnight to our friends and kids, we went to bed around 12:30am(after we turned the clocks back). I was startled awake by screaming and yelling in the room next to ours! It sounded like they were tearing the room apart! It was like they were trying to keep the girl from doing something to herself. She was not in her right mind the way she was screaming! It was not 'partying with family in the room.' They were not having fun. They were trying to prevent something. We looked into the hall and the lady across the hall had called security and so did our friends next door. One man came and the american speaking boy said that "he'd take care of it, that he promised everything would be ok" and the security guy left. He didn't even check ID's! He was no sooner our of site and it started again. This time there were other people in the hall and I called security. THe same guy came back. This time the teen boy said he'd go get 'their parents'. We don't know whose parents that was. A couple came with the boy, pretty quickly. We were right by the rear elevators and stairway and he must've run down to Deck 5 where all the lounges were. The couple had their wine glasses in their hands. They looked as if they were being inconvenienced! Meanwhile, those of us that had early morning excursions were trying to get some sleep! Then they all left and some of the kids told us they were sorry. I did not see a young girl in the group(the 11yr old), but there were some boys that looked about 12 or 13 and there was a few older teen girls too. We went back to bed only to be woke up about an hour later to hysterical screaming in the hall! "She jumped! Oh my god she jumped! She's going to be dead!" I heard the teen boy say it and I heard the older woman that was in the room next to us (at times) screaming! It was horrible! I had heard running in the hall and on the stairs too about the same time. I heard a calm mans voice say that they were turning the boat around. I turned on the TV and watched the ships route channel, and we were slowing. I flipped on the video cam channel and I could see 2 spotlights shining off the front of the ship. I then went on to my balcony and watched for hours as I could not sleep! I figured someone would come help search and no one did! Not till well after the sun was up. I never saw a helicopter and we only saw a few boats off in the distance once we were heading towards Cozumel. I believe that the lifeboat was put in the water (again we only saw 1) to retrieve the lifejackets. For 7+ hours that ship was the only thing in those waters!(it only took 3-4 hours to get to Cozumel once we left the spot) I was totally outraged that the reports on the net said that immediate help came!! As far as the ship doing a full search, we were never asked nor was our room searched. I think they did a horrible job looking for that girl regardless of how she went overboard! So, the next night our kids were on our balcony and they heard the neighbor kids saying that the ship shouldn't have been serving a 15 yr old drinks. Then they said that she leaned over to vomit, and thats when she fell. The boy said he thought she hit the lifeboat below and ran down to check and she wasn't there, then he ran back up and thats when(I'm assuming) we heard all the screaming! I was on my balcony for hours and I did see that there were several other people out on deck 7. I could look down and didn't see anyone on Deck 6 out, and I looked up to 8, and didn't see anyone either. The cruise lines basically kept it all hush hush, so we didn't know where it happened.

As far as the kids on the ship? I never met a ruder bunch of teens and kids! I hate to say that they were 'foreign', but there was a line of american speaking people at the hamburger bar and this kid that couldn't speak english, butt right in front of the boy in front of us! Did he not see a line? Then I wondered where were his parents? I said something to him about it and he said something in his language. That was the last day of the cruise and I had about had it with the rude passengers! Anyway, when we go on vacations as a family, we spend time together! And when we go with our friends, we all have a great time together! Our kids didn't want to do anything without us. It was almost as if some people take their kids and just turn them loose! It was supposed to be a great cruise and it turned into the nightmare vacation! We did try to make the best out of it.

KenII, The amsterdam guy was something else!! Our kids loved his 'rap', but his outfit and pelvic thrusts were hillarious!! We were in the 1st row of the balcony, stage right. Did you see the young lady that was travelling with him??(daughter or d-in-law) She was in her 20's, and she was topless on the back of the ship the first day at sea! Of course our teen boys spotted her and when they told us moms, we didn't believe them. We went back to see and she was gone, but in the photo's there she was!! I couldn't believe that they took her picture and had it there for all to see!!

As far as Grand Cayman, when we finally talked to Max, he told us that the port was closed due to bad weather anyway on Friday, so we were glad that we got to spend the day in Cozumel anyway. When we talked with Manuel, he seemed surprised by what we said and he didn't tell us that it wasn't on our deck. I asked if the family got off the ship in Cozumel and he said no, that they were at the atrium bar waiting to speak with him next. When we went out to the atrium, there they all were. The couple that came to the room, the older lady, and the teens. Drinking and chatting with each other. I was shocked at how they looked! I would have not wanted to be on the ship, but I guess we don't know what we'd do unless it happened to us.

I see a lot of the posts that have done Costa cruises. I can't even begin to compare them to Carnival or Royal. There was no comparison! There was hardly a selection when it came to food! Where were the salad bars? Where were all the desserts? Our room stewards and dining room staff were quite freindly along with the bar staff, but the guest relations and esp. the excursions staff were rude and not helpful at all!

Well, I'm not sure if I had enough room here. I have so much more to say. I'm sure I'll be leaving more posts. Thanks for listening to our version of Lynseys accident.

I found this on http://www.cruisejunkie.com Events at sea. This is a terrible tragedy, I will sure be watching my kids, I am actually a little nervous.

Here is the report.

A 15 year old female passenger from Ireland was reported to have jumped overboard at 2:10AM as the ship was making its way toward Cozumel. Reports from those onboard suggest the girl had been served many drinks at an onboard bar and was intoxicated. Shortly after she jumped, passengers threw lighted life vests into the water, the ship reversed direction, and a search was undertaken. The Mexican Coast Guard assisted in the search but the young woman wasn't found.

From a passenger:

The young girl was extremely drunk. We (and others around us) called security many times because of the noise…they even came up at least 3 times to her room. She was partying with other kids in her family in that room.

She jumped overboard (or fell when she bent over the rail to vomit). We know this because ser sister came screaming down the hall: “My sister jumped overboard! Help!” I thought it was more drunken antics until security got there and she started talking with them. My two-door-down neighbor heard her tell security that she got in a fight with her boyfriend earlier and also that the bar cut her off.

A passenger sent several photos of the search -- there's not much to see, but for those interested they can be viewed by clicking here.

That's a very,very sad story,but I dont see cruise line problem here.PARENTS WHERE ARE YOU?????I dont belive they would serve drinks to teens.Nobody wants to loose job,I asume some of the teens been 19 and bought the drinks for everyone,or they had it in cabin(maybe even from parents),or they had some drugs(smoke).I have 15 years old DD,she always having fun with friends on ships,but belive it or not we go chek on her every hour(hope she dose not read this board),and she MUST tell us where she is going.Her security is my responsebility not cruise lines.

Ponygirl135 I did not get it:cool: you did not like the cruise because of what happend or because of the food?

Hi Goldenbonny,

We didn't like the cruise for more reasons than just the food. That was a big part though! Most of the staff was rude and didn't seem to know their job. The paper that comes to your room with tomorrows information didn't have the weather forecast for most of the days. I only remember seeing it for 1 port! Friday of the cruise after dinner the seas were pretty rough. We went to ask what the forecast was at the guest relations and the guy went to get a paper. I told him it wasn't in it! Then he says that he didn't know what to say, but that its usually pretty rough around Jamaica. I laughed! We were heading north to FL from Cozumel. What a joke! They also had NO ping pong balls or foosballs for the kids to play on the 2nd day of the cruise. Why have the game tables if you don't have the accessories! Our waiter was nice in the dining room, but he never came back to ask how our meals were or to even tell us about the next nights dinner, like we've had on other cruiselines.

The mini bars in the rooms were stocked with lots of alcohol. I don't drink much and we don't use the mini bars, but there were several bottles of rum and other liquors that anyone in the room could drink. I think it would be easy for a kid to get drunk on a ship without parents around.

I'm really looking forward to another cruise, just not ever on Costa again!

Oops, yes I meant english speaking, as here in america. We knew it was an english type accent, but didn't know they were Irish until after the incident happened. I thought it almost sounded like an australian accent. We have read all the reports of what happened on the internet through searches. I know now that you can't believe all you read since we were on the ship and alot of the reports are lies! But one report said that Lynsey was travelling with her family and a group of freinds from other countries that meet for a vacation.

I know my kids and I will never forget Lynsey. My son had seen her in the hall that day and he still can't believe it happened.

I was asking myself,was this your first cruise?

You are the one who needs buttlerservice very badly. then you can blame the buttler!

What a shame ,no weatherreports.no ping pong balls.It really must have spoiled your cruise.

Foreingers and topless sunning (lucky you have the pictures)

Its really awful, oh yes, and also not the usually Amerian food!

Next time - I - should take a 6* cruise,only Americans allowed !

BTW the price is 6x higher for sure ---- and sometimes -----

there are also people aboard, who can behave different!

That's cruising!

Meeting other people ,other cultures with an open mind and not

insulting then. Read your own review once again.

When you dislike all of this,take a hotel in your own state,

There is no place like home!

Europe january 25

I was asking myself,was this your first cruise?

You are the one who needs buttlerservice very badly. then you can blame the buttler!

What a shame ,no weatherreports.no ping pong balls.It really must have spoiled your cruise.

Foreingers and topless sunning (lucky you have the pictures)

Its really awful, oh yes, and also not the usually Amerian food!

Next time - I - should take a 6* cruise,only Americans allowed !

BTW the price is 6x higher for sure ---- and sometimes -----

there are also people aboard, who can behave different!

That's cruising!

Meeting other people ,other cultures with an open mind and not

insulting then. Read your own review once again.

When you dislike all of this,take a hotel in your own state,

There is no place like home!

Europe january 25

LOL:p My last cruise on costa some people complaine about food:confused: ,we been just fine,of course its always can be better,but after we went this year on NCL Spirit:eek: WE KNOW WHAT IS BAD FOOD ABOUT,but people on this board loved it(24 hours humburger and fries place probably made it),so maybe its really just americans-europians point of view.:confused:

Hi Goldenbonny,

We didn't like the cruise for more reasons than just the food. That was a big part though! Most of the staff was rude and didn't seem to know their job. The paper that comes to your room with tomorrows information didn't have the weather forecast for most of the days. I only remember seeing it for 1 port! Friday of the cruise after dinner the seas were pretty rough. We went to ask what the forecast was at the guest relations and the guy went to get a paper. I told him it wasn't in it! Then he says that he didn't know what to say, but that its usually pretty rough around Jamaica. I laughed! We were heading north to FL from Cozumel. What a joke! They also had NO ping pong balls or foosballs for the kids to play on the 2nd day of the cruise. Why have the game tables if you don't have the accessories! Our waiter was nice in the dining room, but he never came back to ask how our meals were or to even tell us about the next nights dinner, like we've had on other cruiselines.

The mini bars in the rooms were stocked with lots of alcohol. I don't drink much and we don't use the mini bars, but there were several bottles of rum and other liquors that anyone in the room could drink. I think it would be easy for a kid to get drunk on a ship without parents around.

I'm really looking forward to another cruise, just not ever on Costa again!

So maybe NCL its for you,they dont have any mini bars(on Spirit):p and after you will try food there you will cruise only Costa(just in case)))))

How can be the forecast in daily paper if they print it night before,:confused: it must be on your TV channel,because its change!!!

We were on the Costa Magica 1/15/06-1/22/06 and after hearing what happened to that girl I am really upset about all the teens that I saw in the nightclub- which doesn't even have a DJ until 11:30PM. These teens were I would guess between the ages of 13-17 and where getting drinks from the bar. The parents were nowhere to be found and the cruise line didn't seem to be checking id's either. Their Magica card- or parents magica card seemed to do fine- that is what they put thier drinks on- its used as a credit card. These kids really don't know what is best for them. Why do the parents allow their daughters to where things that you might see a hooker wearing- do these girls know what guys expect from two 13 yr old girls grinding on each other.

It is the cruise lines fault for giving drinks to underaged kids--really how hard is it tro ask for their id?? But the main blame has to go to these parents that are off doing whatever they want and not keeping their kids under control. Will thier daughters have to get raped or jump or fall overboard to get someones attention. This problem is only going to get worse unless we as a society start to set boundaries for these kids-- remember even thought they think they know all-- they are just kids that need structure and love- and to be told no once in a while. Ok- I'll get off my soap box. It just really upsets me to know that girl was killed because of mistakes that we could learn a lesson from -- yet I saw first hand that most just went on with life as usual.

All you guys are soooo funny!! I just finished reading all the messages from today and you made me laugh so hard. Some people sound so passionate. Should we Costa lovers tattoo a C on our arm??

I feel so sorry for those people that had a bad experience on Costa or any cruise company. I guess a lot has to do with the cabin you get. We had an interior cabin on the 7th deck and we were surrounded by adults like us, so we slept like babies.

Parents, please take more care of your children when you are cruising with them. One night, it was 2:30 a.m. we took the elevator to go to our room and a little girl between 4 and 5 got on the elevator by herself, who knows where she was going, maybe looking for her sibblings that left her alone in the cabin?? that's scary.

usmanjar

So maybe NCL its for you,they dont have any mini bars(on Spirit):p and after you will try food there you will cruise only Costa(just in case)))))

How can be the forecast in daily paper if they print it night before,:confused: it must be on your TV channel,because its change!!!

I was on the New Years cruise. Our first night was not so bad in the disco. But when the teens found their way they would not leave until they played oldies..LOL... We watched as several teens would take drinks left behind by adults. New years! I held the bottle and would not dance cause the kids were shopping... I seen the bartenders run off the kids that asked... Kids would beg us to buy.... Yes, many (all) were drunk at 1, 2 am. And for some of you with your kids on these cruises dont think that this is not true that your kids wouldnt steel drinks from people that are up to dance. ya better think again. It was so easy for most teen girls to get the drinks cause of all the older guys from other contries that dont have law to keep them from giving to minors. No security guards! The disco did not open until 10pm... why couldn't they open the disco before 10 with no drinks allowed and then kick out the kids later for the adults to enjoy... Sorry for them but seems to be the place where they want with the music that is the best and the drinks are availble there when you are not looking! (Give your kids a cerfew be on vaction but please be a parent first) Other wise the room 8a 6443 was excellent, always cleaned, the employees was working 12 hours a day for 3300 people, always with big smiles! This ship is beautiful, the balcony has two chairs and a table and the rail is glass high up, you would have to be showing off to get up there. I'm so glad that they messed up our reservations and upgraded us well, It only took us 3 days to get our dinning reservation straight so that we could eat in the main dinning and not at the nasty buffet! I will not eat pizza, salad, or pasta, olives w/vin for at least anther month or few... Do all cruises swimming pools and hot tubs close at 8pm? This cruise can get better if they change the food and get some activies for the teens to do. And if you go on this cruise, Get your hair done by the Italian guy.. Every one loves my hair!!!! and tip him well!!!!

Archived