Trip Report: Breakaway Baltic July 22 with teen and tween!

KittyloverCA

We were on this cruise too and also did the Escape room - I wonder if we were in the same group as there was a family with a son and younger daughter. We are Mark and Debbie from the UK. If you are the same family then we were at a table on the far side of the room with another couple and a father and his son - we didn't escape (its hard!!!) I don't want to give any spoilers!!

We were on this cruise, and the escape room was one of the top activities our 12yo wanted to do. We never found it on the dailies or to be open at the Spiegel Tent.

We were on this cruise, and the escape room was one of the top activities our 12yo wanted to do. We never found it on the dailies or to be open at the Spiegel Tent.

It really wasn’t advertised, I knew about it and signed up as soon as the box office opened on the ship. I think they only did it the first sea day. Sorry he missed it! I guess it might have already been full once you embarked. I was thinking they’d have it both sea days but I don’t think they did. Anyway, it was hard!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. I valued something about this number. For me the ship doesn’t feel busy too. Only at some times at the garden cafe but found every time a seat.

But sorry, don’t want to disturb the report.

I was very curious about how full it was booked as well. I didn't get the feeling that it was fully booked, but really had nothing to go by. We embarked in Warnemunde, so on July 31st as we left Copenhagen with the next set of new cruisers who got on there, we noticed a remarkable drop in the crowd in the atrium and buffet that seemed like more than 50% fewer people for that next sailing (which is still in progress).

Yes moderno buffet bfast is free and so much calmer than the main buffet

THIS is an understatement! :D Moderno buffet is sooo much calmer. It quickly became our go-to every day before leaving port.

The O'Sheehans breakfast was ok too. I never quite understood the the frenzy at the buffet. The Garden Cafe food was mostly mediocre at all times, although there were a few good standouts from time to time (especially grill night). The three dining rooms seemed always half-full at best. I only assume most people like the immediate satisfaction of grabbing bad food at the buffet over ordering from a menu and waiting. Granted, the service at dining rooms was always slow. It was nearly impossible to get water refills.

THIS is an understatement! :D Moderno buffet is sooo much calmer. It quickly became our go-to every day before leaving port.

The O'Sheehans breakfast was ok too. I never quite understood the the frenzy at the buffet. The Garden Cafe food was mostly mediocre at all times, although there were a few good standouts from time to time (especially grill night). The three dining rooms seemed always half-full at best. I only assume most people like the immediate satisfaction of grabbing bad food at the buffet over ordering from a menu and waiting. Granted, the service at dining rooms was always slow. It was nearly impossible to get water refills.

yes garden café OK if you want to grab something quick to eat and have other plans for the evening

some people like a leisurely meal In resturants choosing from menu but downside is slow service

My kids were crazy about the buffet so as a compromise they ate dinner there and we parents went to more civilized venues for dinner.

Hello all, we are just back from our wonderful Baltic BA vacation, so having learned so much from everyone here, I wanted to report back in detail...ask away!! I may try to add pix later but I need a little time. I also have dailies and youth club schedules.

About us: Travelling from California with a 13.5 yo boy and 10 yo girl. We have previously been on 2 DCL cruises, as well as an NCL Alaska cruise when the kids were really little. It was the kids' first trip to Europe.

Excited to read how your kids fared on this trip. Next summer we are doing the same itinerary, also our first trip to Europe, and have only done DCL cruises in the past. Although my kids will be a bit older than yours - my son will be 16 and my daughter will be 12. My daughter has mixed feelings about the trip right now, lol.

Off to keep reading......

Day 1:

Arrived in Copenhagen in the evening, checked into Ibesens hotel, very well situated in Norreport neighborhood. Lovely hip hotel, outfitted for us with a big bed and 2 twins. we immediately went to look for food (it was close to 9pm) and ended up at Sliders which has exactly what you'd expect from the name and was good. At that moment we just wanted to eat and wanted something the kids would eat, so it fit the bill.

after everyone went right to sleep. Downside of Ibsen's during a heatwave, no A/C, like most places in Denmark, so we had to keep the windows open and the little fans on, and there is quite a bit of noise from people dining/gathering outside. The windows are very good at keeping out noise but it was just too hot.

was the location of this hotel good for walking everywhere - the walking tour, Tivoli Gardens, and canal ride? I'm doing 2 days pre-cruise and want to stay somewhere central, where we can mainly walk. Although no AC is NOT an option for me, so if I have to stay further away for AC I will. But I'm wondering if this was good location wise.

was the location of this hotel good for walking everywhere - the walking tour, Tivoli Gardens, and canal ride? I'm doing 2 days pre-cruise and want to stay somewhere central, where we can mainly walk. Although no AC is NOT an option for me, so if I have to stay further away for AC I will. But I'm wondering if this was good location wise.

It was. Great location. Though I think mostly the corporate type hotels will have A/C which might not be in that area. I thin’ it’s not typical to need A/c there but we were unlucky with a heatwave

Excited to read how your kids fared on this trip. Next summer we are doing the same itinerary, also our first trip to Europe, and have only done DCL cruises in the past. Although my kids will be a bit older than yours - my son will be 16 and my daughter will be 12. My daughter has mixed feelings about the trip right now, lol.

Off to keep reading......

Ask away! My son (the 13.5 yo) loved it, he especially loved any guided tours we did as he’s interested in history etc

My daughter, it was a bit over her head but she enjoyed most of it anyway, and loved souvenir shopping

W

Yes we packed SO wrong for this trip. Why did I even bring jackets? With that space I could have brought more shorts and tank tops! Everything we had just became disgusting, I

just curious - did you check the 10 day forecast right before your trip and were the high temps not in the forecast?

Now I'm nervous for my trip next July. Although I'm used to humidity, particularly how awful its been here this summer (Boston). AND I go to FL/WDW every August, so I know hot & humid. The cool temps in the Baltics is something I've been looking forward to!

just curious - did you check the 10 day forecast right before your trip and were the high temps not in the forecast?

Now I'm nervous for my trip next July. Although I'm used to humidity, particularly how awful its been here this summer (Boston). AND I go to FL/WDW every August, so I know hot & humid. The cool temps in the Baltics is something I've been looking forward to!

Yes, we did and were expecting maybe upper 70s...to be fair we are NOT used to humidity (being in Nor CA which is perpetually on fire due to lack of humidity). I can’t say it was any worse than Boston in the summer, but I suffer there too! For us it added probably 15 degrees of discomfort! And it really never rained so no relief from that

Helsinki Suomenlinna island

DSCF5409-1758x1200.jpg

so did you think Suomenlinna was kind of boring? I'm thinking it sounds like a lot of the islands with old forts we have here at home so the kids may not be too impressed by it.

so did you think Suomenlinna was kind of boring? I'm thinking it sounds like a lot of the islands with old forts we have here at home so the kids may not be too impressed by it.

Didn’t love it but my husband put us on a forced march. And it was super windy that day which I dislike. Would have preferred exploring the city or the open air museum....

Yes, we did and were expecting maybe upper 70s...to be fair we are NOT used to humidity (being in Nor CA which is perpetually on fire due to lack of humidity). I can’t say it was any worse than Boston in the summer, but I suffer there too! For us it added probably 15 degrees of discomfort! And it really never rained so no relief from that

And someone else on our cruise (I think on this thread) mentioned it didn’t seem humid to them at all but we’re from TX...so it’s relative I guess

And someone else on our cruise (I think on this thread) mentioned it didn’t seem humid to them at all but we’re from TX...so it’s relative I guess

That was probably me, commenting on the heat was not as bad as Texas. But the humidity was definitely bad, and the Baltic buildings seemed to mostly use open windows as their air conditioning. Upon returning to ship, the showers were a priority! Air conditioning on the Breakaway often worked TOO well, and that's ok. :p

It was unseasonably warm - but given the choice I was glad it was warm rather than raining. There were some big storms a few weeks previously and I thought it was going to be a cruise of thunderstorms.

A/C isn't that common in the Baltic area as its not usually needed - so if its a must for people in hotels then its best to check

We stayed at the Radisson Royal -its next to the Tivoli and stop 1 of the HoHo - definitely has super-blasty A/C - and a fab breakfast:p

Ask away! My son (the 13.5 yo) loved it, he especially loved any guided tours we did as he’s interested in history etc

My daughter, it was a bit over her head but she enjoyed most of it anyway, and loved souvenir shopping

Mine are exactly the same. I already told DD that she could be in charge of picking out souvenirs for people back home and she loved that. That will probably be her favorite part of the whole trip, lol.

We stayed at the Radisson Royal -its next to the Tivoli and stop 1 of the HoHo - definitely has super-blasty A/C - and a fab breakfast:p

excellent, I will put that on the list. I read that some hotels advertise A/C, but they only have it in the lobby and common areas...NOT the actual guest rooms. So I have to be sure to ask about that.

Hi Kittylover,

thank you for your trip report!

We just returned from the Breakaway Baltic cruise that sailed July 31. We had an amazing time.

I am in a bit of hot water, though, so wondered if you might be able to help..

Did you happen to buy the embarkation photo that had the map, itinerary, ship facts around the small photo taken at embarkation?

I was supposed to do so, but when I got home, it saw it was not included in the 20 picture package that I bought. My traveling companion was quite disappointed. If I could get a copy of the surround, I could replace the inset photo with one of ours. If I could get it from the ship, I would, but there is no communication channel to the onboard photographers, so I thought I would see if a fellow cruise-critic member could hep me out and send me a digital version of it.

Thanks!

Julie

No, I’m sorry! We didn’t buy any pictures!

Hi Kittylover,

thank you for your trip report!

We just returned from the Breakaway Baltic cruise that sailed July 31. We had an amazing time.

I am in a bit of hot water, though, so wondered if you might be able to help..

Did you happen to buy the embarkation photo that had the map, itinerary, ship facts around the small photo taken at embarkation?

I was supposed to do so, but when I got home, it saw it was not included in the 20 picture package that I bought. My traveling companion was quite disappointed. If I could get a copy of the surround, I could replace the inset photo with one of ours. If I could get it from the ship, I would, but there is no communication channel to the onboard photographers, so I thought I would see if a fellow cruise-critic member could hep me out and send me a digital version of it.

Thanks!

Julie