Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

1 hour ago, turtlemichael said:

Question: Is anyone familiar with what sort of shuttle transport is provided by Silversea from our wharf in Whites Bay, Sydney to Downtown? I guess it could be a bus or a tender across to Darling Harbour or Circular Quay? Inquiring minds want to know 🙂 Many thanks.

In 2016,  a shuttle bus dropped you near the aquarium in Darling Harbour.  In 2018, SS provided a water shuttle that dropped you near the Oversea Passenger Terminal near Circular Quay.

Edited by DCCruiser57
Revisions
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, threeforthree said:

In 2016 it was a shuttle bus.

2 minutes ago, DCCruiser57 said:

In 2018, it dropped you near the aquarium in Darling Harbour.  I believe it was the same but I don’ t remember for sure.

Yes it was a shuttle bus to Darling Harbour in 2016 as well

Thanks DCC57!  I agree with Turtle!  Water shuttle would be my vote too!  I do seem to recall that for 2016 Captain Cook had  water shuttle service available from White Bay to Circular Quay for a fee.

Thanks Joe!  I would like the chance to see the Lady Muse although I’m not very keen to sail on her.

Mysty 

On the 2 times we have been

Good  rooms great-service great but only from those who we knew- food super

Not good No MDR Too many guests 200 more makes a difference- 

More people less chance of talking and booking for dinner )give me whisper anyday

Joe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Thanks DCC57!  I agree with Turtle!  Water shuttle would be my vote too!  I do seem to recall that for 2016 Captain Cook had  water shuttle service available from White Bay to Circular Quay for a fee.

Sydney Harbour is under pressure with too many users and there is great demand for docking space for cruise ships. There was a plan to turn Garden Island (the current Naval base in Sydney Harbour just before you get to the Opera House) into a new cruise terminal. The federal government has declined to give up Garden Island wanting to keep it for the Navy. I am sure they have their reasons but that would be a very good location with enough room to keep everything in the one place.

It seems most likely now that it will be built on Botany Bay near the airport. No more views of the bridge and Opera House but excellent views of planes landing, container ships docking and the oil terminal.  This isn't finalized yet but they are even suggesting that ships might sail into the Harbour, see the Bridge and Opera House and then sail straight out again down to Botany Bay to dock!:classic_ohmy:  This article details the problem. Sorry if I seem like the news correspondent of this thread but this sort of stuff strikes me that it may be of interest to cruisers.  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-29/sydney-harbour-cruise-ships-in-botany-bay/10048796

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

This isn't finalized yet but they are even suggesting that ships might sail into the Harbour, see the Bridge and Opera House and then sail straight out again down to Botany Bay to dock!:classic_ohmy:  This article details the problem. Sorry if I seem like the news correspondent of this thread but this sort of stuff strikes me that it may be of interest to cruisers.  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-29/sydney-harbour-cruise-ships-in-botany-bay/10048796

Turtle please don’t apologize for providing interesting insights and background!  It all aids with our understanding our world, the various challenges other places are facing and how the challenges are being met.  So thank you for that!

We are probably among the first to have our bags collected. The Fedex man arrived on time this afternoon (Monday) and our bags are now on their way to San Francisco.  And our TA has received the silver box this morning and we should have it Tuesday or Wednesday.  We leave home next Monday so it is all good. 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

We are probably among the first to have our bags collected. The Fedex man arrived on time this afternoon (Monday) and our bags are now on their way to San Francisco.  And our TA has received the silver box this morning and we should have it Tuesday or Wednesday.  We leave home next Monday so it is all good. 🙂

That's excellent news Turtle!  One less item to deal with in your prep for the launch!  🙂

7 hours ago, mysty said:

Great news HunE!  After a weekend off from packing I need to get energized to finish it!  Pick up on Thursday.  EEEEEK!

Good luck, Mysty!  We are fortunate because our pick up isn’t until the 27th. I am going to try to finish packing this week so that I can relax and enjoy Christmas.  I love to travel, but I hate to pack. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HunEBear said:

Good luck, Mysty!  We are fortunate because our pick up isn’t until the 27th. I am going to try to finish packing this week so that I can relax and enjoy Christmas.  I love to travel, but I hate to pack. 

Thanks HunE!  I don't mind the packing.  I use the process to imagine the scenario in which the outfit will be worn.  Helps me do a final edit on my selections.  If I can't visualize the outfit "in situ" it goes back in the closet.  🙂  I just don't like the looming deadline.  I'm sure it will all work out.  :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mysty said:

I use the process to imagine the scenario in which the outfit will be worn.  🙂

Excuse my late night attempt at witticism (after a bottle of very decent red) but you do not have an outfit for every scenario mysty? My concession to style is to change my socks 🙂 🙂 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Excuse my late night attempt at witticism (after a bottle of very decent red) but you do not have an outfit for every scenario mysty? My concession to style is to change my socks 🙂 🙂 

Turtle I like to think i do have an outfit for every occasion.  And multiple options for every occasion.   The trick is to choose the mostest bestest outfit since I don't have unlimited suitcase space.  Only time will tell whether I have met that challenge.  And good to know that you change your socks!  🙂   I'm sure Turtle 2 is relieved as well!  Ha Ha!

• Like 1

Mysty

Tips for the day 

If as I suspect the  number  power outlets is  still  1 or 2 then I suggest a mulit-gang strip is essential and a adapter for its exclusive use. More than once I have plugged a camera and forgot to put it back in no photos next day. I then ask a friend and I get some great  pic's or in one case a movie I also mark each plug with its name.

Speaking of photos I bring a laptop and edit my photos every day and in the words of an old engineer

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP

I copy photos to laptop then back up those that pass muster to a spare hard drive and then to a cloud (thank goodness for a decent broadband connection).

when going home put the hard drive in i case and   carry laptop.

In the words of a famous Rabbit

That's all Folks    

Joe

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your words of wisdom Joe!  I basically do exactly as you outlined for photos.  I also bring a multi outlet extension cord.  The system worked well for the last go.  Of course, change is a constant so I will adapt.  🙂

29 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Plenty of socks to go with my slippers and sandals and flip flops lol

OK Turtle...not to be a party pooper but.....sandals and socks are a questionable fashion choice.  And they wouldn't be terribly comfortable with flip flops.  Maybe try the no sock option.  🙂  You could use your extra socks as storage options for the turn down chocolates.

• Haha 1