Things to do on Royal Caribbean cruise for handicap?

mamabearjp

My grandparents are taking a cruise in a few weeks to Grand Cayman. My grandfather is in a motorized scooter. We just recently took this same cruise on Carnival (they are taking Royal Caribbean). We had to tender to Grand Cayman and I wasn't sure if motorized scooters can make that trip? I wasn't sure how that worked if they can do it? And if so, does anyone know what they can do while they are there? Are there taxis they can take? Recommendations of maybe a place to eat or something fun to do? I was hoping they could take a taxi and go eat somewhere pretty famous and then get back to the ship. It's such a beautiful place I hate for them to miss out on it! But understand there's only so much that can be done. Any suggestions would be much appreciated so I can pass them on to my grandma.

Thanks so much!

It will depend on the weather/surf and which kind of tender they use, as to whether a scooter will be able to make the trip. He will also need to be able to walk, even with assistance to actually get on and off the tender. If the scooter is small enough and light enough for someone in your party to lift, you may be able to bring it. Or, a lightweight wheelchair might be a better option to take ashore....assuming he can walk a few steps.

Thank you. I wasn't sure how it would work. They went to Alaska last year and had a wonderful time. They don't expect to be able to get off (and are not upset about it at all :-) ) I just thought if I could shout out here and maybe someone would have an idea. I will let them know about that place to eat if they get the chance :-) They went this week so we'll see how it goes. Haven't been able to talk to them yet since they've been on.

• 3 months later...
On 8/28/2018 at 9:02 PM, mamabearjp said:

My grandparents are taking a cruise in a few weeks to Grand Cayman. My grandfather is in a motorized scooter. We just recently took this same cruise on Carnival (they are taking Royal Caribbean). We had to tender to Grand Cayman and I wasn't sure if motorized scooters can make that trip? I wasn't sure how that worked if they can do it? And if so, does anyone know what they can do while they are there? Are there taxis they can take? Recommendations of maybe a place to eat or something fun to do? I was hoping they could take a taxi and go eat somewhere pretty famous and then get back to the ship. It's such a beautiful place I hate for them to miss out on it! But understand there's only so much that can be done. Any suggestions would be much appreciated so I can pass them on to my grandma.

Thanks so much!

If I remember correctly, tenders can't accomodate electric wheelchairs or scooters. You have to use a portable wheelchair, and be able to walk on and off the tender.

11 minutes ago, clean1owner said:

If I remember correctly, tenders can't accomodate electric wheelchairs or scooters. You have to use a portable wheelchair, and be able to walk on and off the tender.

Per above is very true!  

It would certainly be easier and probably more enjoyable for them to just stay on the ship.  

Not everyone gets off the ship there so they would not be alone.  :classic_wink: