Port Bayone to N.Y.C for sightseeing

Missus Makkem

I'm not sure there is an easy (inexpensive) way to get from Cape Liberty to Manhattan on your own, especially for a few hours. If you are under a time constraint, I would see what the options the cruise line offers.

I would not want to get off at Southhampton and try to see London on my own.

I'm not sure there is an easy (inexpensive) way to get from Cape Liberty to Manhattan on your own, especially for a few hours. If you are under a time constraint, I would see what the options the cruise line offers.

I would not want to get off at Southhampton and try to see London on my own.

Thanks

if you ever do Southampton to London on your own

trains takes 90 mins into Waterloo & every 30 mins

booked early £12

We are perthed in Bayonne November18 Celebrity Silouette,

what is the best way of using public transport from the port to N.Y.C. for a few hours and then return to port,

any help much appreciated

I don't know how long the Silhouette will be here for, but from past experience when the ships use Cape Liberty as a port stop, there always seems to be many options for transportation right at the 9 11 Memorial next to the ship. Cabs are there. UBER is always an option. I'm sure Celebrity will have excursions planned for anything local such as NYC, Ellis Island, or the Statue of Liberty, for example. November 18th is a Sunday, so connections to NYC will take more time. I would not do NYC that way, since you would probably waste so much travel time, it would not be worthwhile.

It looks like the OP is on a transatlantic that arrives at 3 pm on Sunday, Nov 11, and sails at 5 pm on Monday, Nov 12.

Here are the public transit and cab information details:

1) Shuttle, cab or Uber to the 34th St or 45th St Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Station. Celebrity should offer some sort of shuttle to keep passengers happy. They're selling a NYC port day that is actually in Bayonne, NJ.

2) Light rail - https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0100.pdf

3). PATH - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

4). To go to midtown - light rail to Hoboken, PATH to 33rd St. Check PATH alerts to ensure weekend midtown service is running. Midtown service is suspended for 15 weeks starting July 13, so construction should be complete by Nov 11. Alternate route - go to WTC and take NYC subway

5) To go to downtown (WTC) - light rail to Exchange Place, PATH to WTC

6) To return from midtown - PATH to Hoboken, 8th St Bayonne light rail train to 34th St or 45th St.

7) To return from downtown - PATH one stop to Exchange Place. 8th St Bayonne light rail train to 34th St or 45th St.

Beware: if you're thinking of going to the SOL from NJ, it's about a mile walk from the Liberty State Park light rail station to the ferry. Take an Uber.

Other strategies: For Downtown Manhattan Uber to Exchange Place and PATH to WTC or vice versa - better balance of time and money than Uber to Manhattan. Late night advice - at Exchange Place find the Hyatt hotel and wait there for transportation. From midtown go to Grove St and wait at the Residence Inn next door for transportation.

PATH - $2.75 - buy ticket from machine - no validation required - trip cost is deducted from amount loaded to the ticket

Light rail - $2.25. Senior fare (62+) $1.10 - buy ticket from machine and validate it in another machine.

PATH trips are accessible via elevator and/or escalator at the major stations. Light rail runs on the street with stations with ramps.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Edited by 138east

I just cruised out of Bayonne last week on Celebrity Summit. We arrived in NJ the day before. We took a taxi into NYC to see "Aladdin". The taxi cost us $90 each way, so if you take a taxi, it could be pricey!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Forums mobile app

Uber or car service back and forth between NYC and NJ, taxis can refuse to take you because they can’t pick up return passengers.