Few hours in port, must dos?

RNsoon2beNP

Vacationdreamer:

The walk to San Felipe is long (I’d say about 35-45 minutes) and it’s not for someone with mobility issues. You’ll be walking mostly uphill, along cobblestoned streets and less than smooth sidewalks. The last 5-10 minutes of the walk (the grounds preceding the fort from where the street ends) is about the only portion of the walk that’s straight and flat

In comparison, San Cristobal is a much easier 5-10 minute walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Vacationdreamer:

The walk to San Felipe is long (I’d say about 35-45 minutes) and it’s not for someone with mobility issues. You’ll be walking mostly uphill, along cobblestoned streets and less than smooth sidewalks. The last 5-10 minutes of the walk (the grounds preceding the fort from where the street ends) is about the only portion of the walk that’s straight and flat

In comparison, San Cristobal is a much easier 5-10 minute walk.

Thank you.

I’m so sad for our late day port times. I need to dig into more research.

We are also in SJ for those weird hours. With a family of 9 (three adults and 6 "kids" ages 6-18). I am very disappointed as I have always wanted to visit PR. If the forts close at 4PM what other options might we have?

It's too bad you're pressed for time right out of the gate when you arrive. But like I said before, gather everyone and disembark as soon as they extend the walkway. There will be tons of taxis waiting for you right in front of the pier. Grab one of the passenger vans and tell them to head straight to El Morro. It should be around $9-$11 per trip (not per person) for up to 5 passengers, $2 extra each for a 6th and 7th. Since your a party of 9, you're better off getting two vans. You can the enjoy the rest of the city after 6pm when the fort closes. There will be a lot (if not most) of the stores and restaurants open later than usual while the ship is docked. Get organized for a prompt exit from the ship and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

It's too bad you're pressed for time right out of the gate when you arrive. But like I said before, gather everyone and disembark as soon as they extend the walkway. There will be tons of taxis waiting for you right in front of the pier. Grab one of the passenger vans and tell them to head straight to El Morro. It should be around $9-$11 per trip (not per person) for up to 5 passengers, $2 extra each for a 6th and 7th. Since your a party of 9, you're better off getting two vans. You can the enjoy the rest of the city after 6pm when the fort closes. There will be a lot (if not most) of the stores and restaurants open later than usual while the ship is docked. Get organized for a prompt exit from the ship and you'll be fine.

Thank you! This is very encouraging.

Have you visited El Morro? Would it be reasonable to take a taxi to El Morro and visit until closing and then walk back to the pier? Would this afford us any opportunity to enjoy San Juan, or is the area between the two not much to see?

Thank you! This is very encouraging.

Have you visited El Morro? Would it be reasonable to take a taxi to El Morro and visit until closing and then walk back to the pier? Would this afford us any opportunity to enjoy San Juan' date=' or is the area between the two not much to see?[/quote']

I visit El Morro at least one or twice a year. Sometimes we go in, others we fly kites and have an improvised picnic on the grounds of the fort. I love San Juan and I enjoy walking around every once in a while.

With your time frame I would say that yes, your best bet is a taxi for everyone to El Morro and take your time walking back. Everywhere you look there's something to see. Museums might be closed by the time you leave El Morro but you can enjoy the architecture, the colors of the buildings and the history around you. Most plazas have a meaning so look around for a plaque with the history of the plaza. You might want to even eat some local food on one of the many restaurants. If you do, try mofongo (fried, mashed plantains with a bit of oil or butter and garlic). It's the Puertor Rican dish you can't miss

I visit El Morro at least one or twice a year. Sometimes we go in, others we fly kites and have an improvised picnic on the grounds of the fort. I love San Juan and I enjoy walking around every once in a while.

With your time frame I would say that yes, your best bet is a taxi for everyone to El Morro and take your time walking back. Everywhere you look there's something to see. Museums might be closed by the time you leave El Morro but you can enjoy the architecture, the colors of the buildings and the history around you. Most plazas have a meaning so look around for a plaque with the history of the plaza. You might want to even eat some local food on one of the many restaurants. If you do, try mofongo (fried, mashed plantains with a bit of oil or butter and garlic). It's the Puertor Rican dish you can't miss

That sounds excellent. I have so many friends from Puerto Rico; I can’t wait to see it!

• 2 weeks later...
The topic was what to do with a few hours in San Juan, so yeah, it’s pretty on topic.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did not mean to sound rude with my reply and if I did, I apologize. The Fajardo Bio Bay tours are only done at night and it's an 1:20 drive from the ports each way. So the activity is more viable during a pre/post-cruise stay that on a port stop, unless you're in one of those freaky stops that come in at 4 or 5pm and leave after 10pm. That's the reason I meant to say it's not something to do with just a few hours stop.

• 4 weeks later...

So good to read all of this helpful info for a late stop in San Juan. Will be on NCL Jade first 10 days of March, we dock in San Juan at 3:00 p.m. and sail at 10:00. Sounds like we will have ample time to walk to Old San Juan and explore San Christobal and enjoy a few of the shops, etc. We were a bit concerned that we wouldn't have time to do much.  Thank you all! 

• 3 weeks later...

As Stinger has said, an evening stop in San Juan can be very special.  I agree with his suggestion to head up to El Morro via taxi the moment the gangway opens.  You'll have plenty of time for a reasonable visit before it closes.  Alternatively, you can walk directly to San Cristobal.  Both forts are wonderful.  Save one for next time.  After your visit, walk through the streets of Old San Juan in the evening as the sun sets.  A wonderful walk down San Sebastian to one of the local establishments such as La Taberna Lupulo for a cold micro-brew would be about a perfect evening for me.  From there, a downhill stroll back to the port area and it's wonderful promenade before re-boarding the ship.