Best Beach on Tortola????

kltcruiser01

Definitely Brewers Bay. Safari taxis transport groups of 20+ passengers for ~$8pp each way and will return to pick you up. You can also take private taxis for just a little more.

You will probably need your own gear.

Thank you very much blue blue water !!

How long does it take from the pier to the beach (NCL Bliss)? Does it have restaurants and bathrooms ? Any entrance fees ? Chair and lounges?

• 2 months later...

Cruiselover I gave you some incorrect info earlier! It is a 20 minute taxi over to the nicer beaches on the north shore, but for restaurants and beach bars and lounges with umbrellas you’d have to go to Cane Garden Bay which is much more crowded and does not offer good snorkeling. Sorry if I confused you with that post...

Brewers is much more laid back and offers snorkeling, but the only beach bar (Nicole’s) is still rebuilding from Irma, and depending on when you are there may be offering only drinks and snacks. They should have some lounges but probably no umbrellas, although there is some natural shade. The restroom is also a bit more rustic than the public restrooms at CGB. But it is one of the nicest beaches with that old Caribbean feel that you will experience on your cruise.

So you have a choice between a busier beach with more amenities, or more of that Carib vibe with fewer comforts. We’ve not been here since Irma so can’t give you the details you need. But if you want to ask about Nicole’s and the lounge situation at Brewers there is a thread on the TTOL BVI forum you can ask that question on. TTOL is a great source for all things BVI. You’ll have The best results if you join TTOL before posting there.

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/175410/beach-updates.html#Post175410

I should add there is another beach option with a vendor selling food and drinks, and you’d have to check on the lounge situation. Last we were there there were just older lounges for free on a first-come basis, but you probably would not see any of your fellow cruisers there. This is Smuggler’s Cove. You would need a driver to return for you as taxis do not normally venture there. So a bit more adventurous than you are probably looking for.

Regarding a taxi to Brewers or CGB, there will be several loading up for CGB and you wouldn’t need to reserve one ahead of time. For Brewers, if you all want to taxi together you might want to let the taxi coordinator or the ladies at the information center know you have a group going there and they can help with a taxi.

If you were considering an island tour with a private driver and a chance to enjoy some beach time I would suggest A.C.’s Taxi, Arnold and his staff come highly recommended.

http://www.info-res.com/actaxibvi/

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 12:14 PM, blue_water said:

Cruiselover I gave you some incorrect info earlier! It is a 20 minute taxi over to the nicer beaches on the north shore, but for restaurants and beach bars and lounges with umbrellas you’d have to go to Cane Garden Bay which is much more crowded and does not offer good snorkeling. Sorry if I confused you with that post...

Brewers is much more laid back and offers snorkeling, but the only beach bar (Nicole’s) is still rebuilding from Irma, and depending on when you are there may be offering only drinks and snacks. They should have some lounges but probably no umbrellas, although there is some natural shade. The restroom is also a bit more rustic than the public restrooms at CGB. But it is one of the nicest beaches with that old Caribbean feel that you will experience on your cruise.

So you have a choice between a busier beach with more amenities, or more of that Carib vibe with fewer comforts. We’ve not been here since Irma so can’t give you the details you need. But if you want to ask about Nicole’s and the lounge situation at Brewers there is a thread on the TTOL BVI forum you can ask that question on. TTOL is a great source for all things BVI. You’ll have The best results if you join TTOL before posting there.

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/175410/beach-updates.html#Post175410

I should add there is another beach option with a vendor selling food and drinks, and you’d have to check on the lounge situation. Last we were there there were just older lounges for free on a first-come basis, but you probably would not see any of your fellow cruisers there. This is Smuggler’s Cove. You would need a driver to return for you as taxis do not normally venture there. So a bit more adventurous than you are probably looking for.

Regarding a taxi to Brewers or CGB, there will be several loading up for CGB and you wouldn’t need to reserve one ahead of time. For Brewers, if you all want to taxi together you might want to let the taxi coordinator or the ladies at the information center know you have a group going there and they can help with a taxi.

If you were considering an island tour with a private driver and a chance to enjoy some beach time I would suggest A.C.’s Taxi, Arnold and his staff come highly recommended.

http://www.info-res.com/actaxibvi/

Thank you very much again bleu water!!! What is the price for a round trip to Cane Garden Bay from the pier (Ncl BLiss)? and it 20 mins to CGB right?

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone recommend going to Apple Bay / Sugar Mill Hotel? It looks super cute with Old Caribbean charm, and it looks like they just re-opened and maybe would be open to offering a day pass of some sort? We wouldn't have a problem making it worth their time by ordering drinks and food at the restaurant. We don't want to go anywhere TOO far from the cruise ship pier so Smugglers and both Long Bays are probably out. Husband gets annoyed with me when I choose the secluded beaches. While he doesn't want tons of action or people, he wants at least one bar to get drinks and a snack, so it looks like the other option is Brewers. But I was just wondering if anyone would say Sugar Mill is a good option.

4 hours ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

Would anyone recommend going to Apple Bay / Sugar Mill Hotel? It looks super cute with Old Caribbean charm, and it looks like they just re-opened and maybe would be open to offering a day pass of some sort? We wouldn't have a problem making it worth their time by ordering drinks and food at the restaurant. We don't want to go anywhere TOO far from the cruise ship pier so Smugglers and both Long Bays are probably out. Husband gets annoyed with me when I choose the secluded beaches. While he doesn't want tons of action or people, he wants at least one bar to get drinks and a snack, so it looks like the other option is Brewers. But I was just wondering if anyone would say Sugar Mill is a good option.

The small beach there is for hotel guests, and I’ve never seen them offering day passes. The hotel has been open for some time, but they just opened the Tramonti restaurant on the beach side and you can go there.

Long Bay, West End is a very short drive to the west from SM, just over the knoll from Sebastian’s restaurant and hotel. Actually if your driver takes the south shore road and crosses over Zion Hill Rd you will be within 1 minute of LB.

And Apple Bay by Sebastian’s is another beach spot between the Sugar Mill and LB. The waves can be bigger here depending on the seas, but if Sebastian’s restaurant is open you have that, and there is a store right across the street where you can buy drinks, and they can call you a taxi for your return.

Has anyone been to Brewers Bay recently? We are planning on spending the day there in late Jan. IO have been to CGB twice before and although I love it, we want to snorkel. I am hoping they have loungers to rent and a good bar. I hear Nicoles is open, but hopefully someone who was there recently can confirm. happy sailing all

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 1:52 AM, cathi007 said:

Has anyone been to Brewers Bay recently? We are planning on spending the day there in late Jan. IO have been to CGB twice before and although I love it, we want to snorkel. I am hoping they have loungers to rent and a good bar. I hear Nicoles is open, but hopefully someone who was there recently can confirm. happy sailing all

Go

Brewers will welcome you.

8 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Go

Brewers will welcome you.

Yeah I am pretty sure this is where we will go. I love CGB, but I hear such great reviews about BB and I hear it is less crowded and better snorkeling. Thanks

On 1/3/2019 at 8:52 PM, cathi007 said:

Would you update us after your trip?  Thanks!

22 hours ago, cathi007 said:

Yeah I am pretty sure this is where we will go. I love CGB, but I hear such great reviews about BB and I hear it is less crowded and better snorkeling. Thanks

If lucky when snorkelling you'll see the Tarpon.  Also when in the sea you be able to see/watch the pelicans dive.  It amazing how big their beak sacks are.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1

Would we have a hard time getting a taxi back from Long Bay (West End)? I'm open to Brewer's but Long Bay looks prettier. If there's a place where we can grab a bite at or near Long Bay that will work too. I just know Smuggler's would be out because husband gets cranky when there's no food 🙄

Read the last few posts in this thread for feedback on Long Bay WE..

And Nigel is selling drinks and at least hotdogs at Smuggler’s. We miss Miss Patricia’s cheeseburger in paradise and BBQ and great tropical drinks though...

I’m going to ask a very stupid question: exactly what is/are “the Baths”? I’m picturing some kind of hot springs or something but I’m surely wrong because I haven’t seen that term mentioned anywhere. First time to Tortola and I’m clueless. 

hey guys, just got back from my trip. I prebooked a taxi since we were a big group (http://www.info-res.com/actaxibvi/

Smith is very reliable and nice guy.

we were supposed going to CGB, but Smith the taxi driver suggested us going to Long Bay east side. So voila we ended up there! and guess what? it's gorgeous beach!!!! Crystal clear water, white sand, but a little rocky and broken shelves as you approach to the water. It has amenities(toilet, clean water, food, drinks, chair lounges and umbrellas for rent) and it's quiet! hassle free. 

Edited by cruiselover168

WOW... Another gorgeous, off-the-beaten-track beach now with all those amenities...

I’d read that cruise lines were now offering excursions to LB (Beef Island) and including lounges, but had no idea it had been built up that much!

So sad to read...it won’t be quiet now...

Edited by blue_water

On 1/14/2019 at 2:14 PM, cruiselover168 said:

hey guys, just got back from my trip. I prebooked a taxi since we were a big group (http://www.info-res.com/actaxibvi/

Smith is very reliable and nice guy.

we were supposed going to CGB, but Smith the taxi driver suggested us going to Long Bay east side. So voila we ended up there! and guess what? it's gorgeous beach!!!! Crystal clear water, white sand, but a little rocky and broken shelves as you approach to the water. It has amenities(toilet, clean water, food, drinks, chair lounges and umbrellas for rent) and it's quiet! hassle free. 

A picture taken on Jan 8 2019

long bay east.jpg

• Like 1