Alaska Questions

jewelhux

Hi all,

My husband and I have done several cruises to Mexico/Caribbean. I’ve wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise for awhile but my hubby wasn’t too excited about the “less than tropical” temperatures. Tonight he gave the green light because we both now have cameras with nice zoom lenses and he’s excited about the photo opportunities.

My question is which ship, which sailing and what month do you recommend to make the most of the photo opportunities?

You will get a lot of different opinions on this question. My family and I will be on Ovation in July 2019. If you truly want to get great pictures, you can't go wrong with a one way North or South bound between Vancouver B.C. and Whittier or Seward. If you go on Princess or Holland America, they are both able to go into Glacier Bay which is beautiful. If it is your first time, I would suggest a Vancouver departure instead of Seattle because you spend more time in Alaska and don't have to stop in Victoria B.C., although Victoria is a nice place to visit.

It may be worthwhile for you to ask in the Alaska board as well to see what advice you get there. In terms of month, I highly suggest July and August, but the weather in Alaska can vary a lot so you still may get rain whichever month you choose. I hope that you have a great time, Alaska is incredibly scenic.

Julie & Richard

There are several considerations for when you cruise the inside passage. If it is just you two, May & September, the start and end of the season, will have fewer children. The later in the season you travel, the more and larger the mosquitos, known as Alaska’s state bird, will be. No matter when in the season you will need a warm coat for small boat excursions and sometimes just to go out on the deck, The earlier in the season, the more snow will be around. It does get into the 80’s and low 90’s inland in the summer

Our last Alaskan cruise was in mid-May from Vancouver to Seward. From Seward we took the train to Anchorage for the night. The next morning we picked up the mini-motor home which we had reserved in December and drove all the roads and highways that we could for almost two weeks. I felt that the most wonderful aspect was waking up in the morning to new, pristine snow on the mountaintops around you. One drawback to that trip was the gathering of the eagles. They know, can probably see, when the salmon start upriver and there are suddenly hundreds everywhere you look. This happens in mid-June and we had to leave the day the salmon came in.:') It is a wonderful spectacle to witness.

If I can give any other assistance please e-mail me at vkgreen6254 at gmail dot com

Kay (&Steve)

If you can spring it, HAL out of Vancouver in June. Otherwise Princess. Make sure the itinerary includes Glacier Bay. If seasick is a problem, you can do a roundtrip out of Vancouver and never need meds. Go whale watching in Juneau and take the train-up/bus-back excursion in Skagway; if you don't have the $$$ for Misty Fjords in Ketchikan (we didn't!), go to Totem Bight for many eagles (and totems, and a walk in the woods).

We never saw a mosquito except inland at Denali, where they were average size but armor plated -- would swat squarely, lift hand, and watch insect fly away!

Background: have done 7-day northbound out of Vancouver (June), 7-day roundtrip out of Vancouver (June), and 14-day roundtrip out of Seattle (August); all HAL. Whales were much more active (breaching etc) in June; and saw more eagles. The 14-day cruise went to Hubbard Glacier instead of Glacier Bay; it was also impressive.

On most HAL ships, even the insides have sofas; on Princess must book mini-suite or up for sofa. A lot of people say, choose Alaska trips for itinerary -- unless you are doing the 14-day, if you are doing a 7-day (either R/T or one-way) the ports are the same (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway)! So I say, choose a comfortable and elegant ship!

ETA: yes I know this is the RCI board, but truth is just truth.

Tonight he gave the green light because we both now have cameras with nice zoom lenses and he’s excited about the photo opportunities.

My question is which ship, which sailing and what month do you recommend to make the most of the photo opportunities?

Hello,

I have done about 15 cruises to Alaska on many different ships and cruise lines. To be honest to get the great photo opportunities you want I would suggest you book some different excursions depending on what you want for pictures. Wildlife I would look into a July cruise as the bears are more lively at that time. . June and July for landscape. Flower are blooming and abundant.

Some tours to look at for wildlife are as follows

Ketchikan----------------AnAn Bear observatory Great place for bears and birds

Misty Fjords cruise, Great landscape and some harbor seals

Juneau -------------------Taku Lodge, Great place for bears also a great salmon meal comes with it.

Wildlife cruise, You get a variety of wildlife on this trip

Skagway ----------------Train for landscape or the train and bus for landscape and few other things. Not as much

opportunities for wildlife here.

As far as cruise with RCI goes we did the 8B land tour last year starting at Fairbanks spending two days then the train to Denali then spent two days there. Then on to Tallkeetna for a day. I recommend the Jet boat to Hells Canyon. Back on the train to Anchorage. Spend part of the day before you are bussed to the ship for your cruise.

If Alaska is a one time trip don't rush it. Most try rush it and become disappointed and tired from the very quick and long days.

As far as camera equipment the one recommendation I have is make sure you have at least a 300MM lens. To get those up close looks.

Whatever you decide to do Have a great time.

George

Do not go too early if you want to see salmon. Mid July til mid August are good for salmon runs — which usually means eagles and bears.

We just go back from Vancouver northbound and then 7 days land tour.

Our Princess cruisetour went to Glacier Bay and College fjord. I highly recommend these for glacier viewing. Both were calving in mid August 2018

We are high loyalty cruisers with Royal, but we prefer Princess glacier itineraries and Princess lodges in Alaska.

On August 26th we saw beautiful display of the northern lights in Fairbanks. We stayed a few extra days in Fairbanks and got really lucky with a clear night to see the northern lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have only been twice and cannot give the same info as to those that have been there so many times. BUT, we have done our homework and spent many, many, many hours on the Alaska Port of Call boards. That is where you really should go to ask your questions, not just from a RCCL board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

The people that post there are just a wealth of knowledge and aren't partial to any cruise line.

But If I had to make any comments as I am also an avid photographer, if you want to see wildlife forget those early, cheaper cruises in April and May. The darn animals are still sleeping. Even early June isn't the best time for bears. If I had to recommend a time, it would be mid to late July, maybe even early August when the salmon are really running. You can literally go to any stream and reach in and grab some.

We have done a round trip out of Seattle and a one way, Vancouver to Whittier. On the one way you get farther north and the mountains and glaciers seem to be more spectacular, in particular College Fiord. But, on any cruise, do try and make it to Glacier Bay. It is truly spectacular.

Just a hint, they used to have a book, Toursaver, that had a lot of BOGO tours and stuff that you do privately. We used it when we went but I'm not sure if it is still available. Worth it's weight in gold.

Tours and excursions are very expensive, especially if you do them thru the ship, but many people do private tours et al and save a bunch of money, depending on what you might want to do. Again, visit the Alaska POC board and ask your questions there.

Cheers

Len

I agree that late July/early August cruises are better. Just be prepared, they are also more expensive for that reason! We did one then and again end of May. Big difference! You want to go when the salmon are running as it brings out the wildlife. We have rented a car in Skagway both times and used Murray's guide to drive up the Yukon Highway. We have seen bears both trips on the side of the road. The flowers are blooming and you still see the snow on the mountain tops in July.

Definitely go to the Alaska boards and get information. I also would suggest sailing out of Vancouver if possible. We used HAL and NCL for those cruises in Alaska and HAL does a much better job IMO. They bring a naturalist onboard that give lectures. Also, they went deeper into Glacier Bay (of course it was July instead of May) but overall I have heard HAL and Princess do Alaska best.

Jewelhux

Please don’t go to Alaska expecting to see the Aurora. Fairbanks is just below the Artic Circle and the dark of night is short even in August.

Celebrity Millinium also brings a naturalist, and the last trip we were on they took the smaller inside passage where we could see the shoreline both [prt and starboard. Wildlife left and right!

I’m agreeing with everyone who says HAL - we went last year in early August and had unseasonably warm weather. There are fewer children on board HAL ships (although we had six small children with us - there weren’t many others) and one of the great features of our ship was a retractable roof over the main pool so we could swim in any weather. Glacier Bay was the highlight.

Hi all,

My husband and I have done several cruises to Mexico/Caribbean. I’ve wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise for awhile but my hubby wasn’t too excited about the “less than tropical” temperatures. Tonight he gave the green light because we both now have cameras with nice zoom lenses and he’s excited about the photo opportunities.

One of our best trips was a 14 night with HAL ,7 days land ,7 on sea.On land we saw so many wonderful sites.Our favorite was Denali National Park.

We also panned for gold .That was something I always wanted to do .The land trip was by bus and train .We had a tour guide who was a college Professor from Oregon .He spent 6 months a year in Alaska . Instead of brochures he gave everyone books .