Magic from Miami to Ft Lauderdale 5-5-19

lasvegascruising

I am ready to book the Magic leaving from FLL on 5-5-19 but just discovered that she is moving from MIA to FLL that day and the sail time is 9pm. I understand that she will disembark guests that morning in MIA, move over to FLL and start embark at 3pm(this time was told to me by a Carnival employee). Thoughts anyone? My choice will be to fly in the day before from Las Vegas(this is a travel all day situation) and stay the night in FLL. I am pondering what to do the next day, 5-5-19, considering the earliest embark is 3pm. Hotel check out, luggage, etc. I would really appreciate any advice and/or experience anyone has had with such a situation. I almost feel like embark day, 5-5-19, at 3pm is a waste of a day. I will be paying for that day as part of my cruise fare but won't be on the ship until the very earliest 3pm. Also, hubby and I like to purchase "cheers" and this feels like a waste of money for day one. Please help me with my thoughts and give me reasons why this is okay or why it is not.

To answer your question about what to do between hotel check out and 3pm... you could do a tour or something. Your hotel should be able to hold your bags for you so you're not lugging them around. I would do an early tour though.. even if embarkation is 3pm, check-in probably starts sooner. For me, getting onboard around 3pm wouldn't be a wasted day unless it were a very short cruise. Regarding Cheers, you used to be able to wait until the second day to purchase so that might be your option there.

Whether the whole thing depends on a lot of factors.. if it's an itinerary and/or ship I've been really wanting to do, I'd probably stick with it because the issues would probably be somewhat inconvenient, but nothing I can't live with. If it were another shorter cruise to say the Bahamas, I'd probably look for another itinerary just because it's so readily available.

• 2 weeks later...

Traveling from LAX to Ft Lauderdale is definitely an all day affair. A suggestion would be to check into hotel and plan for a relaxing sun and fun day at the hotel. Your only talking about a couple of hours difference before boarding. . Get an extended check out , Sleep late, enjoy the pool and amenities Then head to the port. To rush to get in a tour or sightseeing expedition before boarding to me is rush, rush, rush. I'm going on a cruise to relax.

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses. I think I will find out more about boarding times once I can actually pick my boarding time but that won't be for a few months. I have booked a hotel one block up from Las Olas Street(Fairfield Inn by Marriott) and thought we could wander around down there until time to check out of the hotel(hopefully can get a late check out). I also have my eye on a hotel in Dania Beach(Springhill Suites) but not sure if this location has much to see and walk to. Since we are going to be in Ft Lauderdale for the morning and into the afternoon, I want to have a little something to do. Does anyone have thoughts on the two hotels I have my eye on?

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses. I think I will find out more about boarding times once I can actually pick my boarding time but that won't be for a few months. I have booked a hotel one block up from Las Olas Street(Fairfield Inn by Marriott) and thought we could wander around down there until time to check out of the hotel(hopefully can get a late check out). I also have my eye on a hotel in Dania Beach(Springhill Suites) but not sure if this location has much to see and walk to. Since we are going to be in Ft Lauderdale for the morning and into the afternoon, I want to have a little something to do. Does anyone have thoughts on the two hotels I have my eye on?

I have no experience with those hotels, but would be interested to hear other peoples comments and what you think once you stay, because I need to find a hotel for our large family cruise out of Ft Lauderdale in April 2020. We always stay on 17th St, but not sure my family is willing to pay about $300 a night, which it usually is during high season, and since our cruise falls on Easter week, I’m sure the prices will be jacked up.

We have stayed at the Springhill in Dania a couple of times. It is convenient for our purposes. There is a Walgreens just across the parking lot and across the street is a strip mall with a couple of restaurants (we like the Chinese one) and a grocery store. There are not attractions to walk to. We have gotten a rental car when we are arriving on a very early flight and go to a movie or to the nature center in Ft Lauderdale. The car takes care of those pesky luggage storage issues for us.

We have stayed at the Gallery One Doubletree. A short walk across the bridge has you at the beach. The other way a Starbucks and a Publix are across the street from a large, nice indoor mall. The hotel has a pick up for the ferry so there is plenty to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums