Accessibility in St Kitts

doug618

Hello-

We will on the Adventure of the Seas this Dec with my in-laws. My father-in-law has difficulty walking and rides a scooter. This is first time in St Kitts. Can anyone tellus how far is the distance from ship's gangway to taxi stand? Are there accessible taxis available? What recommendation for activity that is accessible friendly on the Island.

Thank you.

Attaching some pictures of the ship's pier to show the distance. There has been a taxi stand in front of the building at the end of the pier both times we visited St. Kitts. The pier itself isn't as short as some ports but it is on the shorter end of piers we've experienced. I do not know the exact distance, but it level.

I don't really have much to recommend since our first time was a "rain out", with maybe an hour at a beach. On our last visit to St. Kitts, we were able to get a cab for a private tour of what we wanted to see and then a few hours at a beach afterward. We went to Brimestone Fortress, but there are steep steps to get to the top for the views and to explore the fort, so I don't know if that would be possible for your father-in-law or not. Where the taxi's park, there are still some nice views and pretty sure there are some walkways, so that would be possible, but to get to the top to actually see the fort, you have to deal with those stairs. There are other things to see as well that might be easier for your group. I do recommend Timothy Hill overlook, the narrow point of the island where you can see both the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean sea. On our last visit, we went to Shipwreck Beach Bar and Grill, which sits above the beach, is "open" and has beautiful views overlooking the water. There are stairs to access the beach. Entrance to Shipwreck is on the same level as where a taxi would let you off, but the parking area is sandy, so I don't know if that would be a problem. Food/drinks are reasonably priced. If part of your group wants to enjoy the beach, there are loungers/palapas that are free to use as long as drinks and/or food is purchased. Many stop and just sit at the tables for a drink/bit to eat while taking in the views.

Hopefully others will be able to help with more things to see and do in St. Kitts. It would probably be easy to get a cab for a few hours for an island tour to point out the sites as there is much more to do than Brimestone and beach.

View of the pier in St. Kitts from our ship as we sailed out (to give you a "visual" of the length)

enhance

View from near where we got off the gangplank looking down to the end of the pier to where the taxi stand is, which is right before you enter the building. Pier is concrete and level.

enhance

Timothy Hill overlook for views of both the Atlantic and Caribbean

enhance

Shipwreck Beach Bar/Grille - great views and reasonably priced food/drinks.

enhance