Circle C

PaisleyAnn

We are taking our son on his first cruise next May on the 5-day Carnival Valor. I have not seen many reviews on the Circle C club for 12-14 year olds. Would love to hear more about it and what kind of activities they plan. Mostly, did your kids enjoy it or would they rather not participate?

Our son is an only child (14 years), and on the cruise it will just be the three of us (mom, dad and son). I’m hoping he’ll find some fun with the club and perhaps meet some new cruise friends.

Also does anyone have Circle C schedules from previous trips? We are doing the 5 day western Caribbean out of New Orleans, but I’d be happy to show him any of the ships’ schedules to get a general idea of what’s offered.

My kids, now 12(son) and 14 (daughter), are taking their 17th cruise next month and have pretty much grown up loving each stage of the camps. However, that ended for my daughter when we got to Circle C. She loves going the first night to make friends but said none of the girls ever return the rest of the week. My son LOVES Circle C though and says it is his favorite ever. It seems most of the activities center around video games and playing games so if your son loves those type of activities (I remember A LOT of Mario Kart playing and tournaments) then he will love it. :)

Circle C is not open as much as the 2-11 camps. It usually starts around 11am or 1pm (depending if it is a port day) and then maybe an hour or two in the afternoon and then not until the evening. Also, some of the nights the actual camp area is closed because they all go to shows together. Both my kids loved the late night ice cream social in the Lido deck they hold at least one of the nights.

My son was not a fan of the kids clubs when he tried them at age 12. He went off and did his own thing and had fun around the ship. He loved it. He would wake up around 9 each morning and leave the room and we wouldn't see him again until around midnight when he came in. The exception is of course port days, he'd get off the ship with us and we'd do our thing off the ship but on sea days he had a blast.

Our kids did Circle C on our first cruise this summer. Both loved it, not for the organized activities but instead to hang out with their new friends. Be sure to have him go to the icebreaker on the first night - the kids rapidly sort themselves into groups and it'll be hard to break into that later in the cruise. They still e-mail and text with those friends three months later. They would hang out in the Circle C lounge to play video games when it was open, otherwise they'd wander the ship, spend time in the pool, etc.

On sea days they met up after breakfast and we didn't see them until evening. We ate as a family in the MDR at 6 and they disappeared again afterwards until 11-12 pm.

If you read my reviews, I'm sure at least at some point I discussed Circle C. Our son went on his first cruise when he was 12, and has been on 3 more since then. All while he would have been in the age group for Circle C. Two of them were with another couple and their son (who was a year older, but still in the same age group), but our son had never met him before, so it's not like it was 2 friends hanging out. Our son met other kids each time and hung out with them, and sometimes our friends son joined them, with a group of friends he had made.

Basically, the most important thing to do is go on the first night. That's when everyone meets, they get to know each other, see who they want to hang out with. And after that, it's a lot of those groups just hanging in the club. The schedule isn't always followed, as it depends on the number of kids and what they really want to do. Mine would play the video games, eat, swim, etc... And as long as we didn't have something really early the next day (like in Alaska), he could stay until the end (midnight or 1 a.m.). And he always had to be back before dinner to clean up & change. But the club closes during that time too. Be sure to set the rules you want as well (no going in other's rooms, nobody in your room, no going into unauthorized places, etc...). Some parents required their child to check in every so often, but we did not. We would always see him at least twice during the day without fail, as we found the same spot to hang on the deck.

My kids went to Circle C last January as a 12 yr boy and 13 yr girl. They loved it! They met kids to hang out with. Sometimes they did the planned activities but a lot of times they just met up with other kids at Circle C at night and then hung out. We got the plan where we could text each other on the ship and kept in touch while they were with friends they had met. We are going again in Dec and they are both excited to go to Circle C.

You have gotten spot on advice here. Often that first night. they will do ice breakers like Apples to Apples. Kids will form their group that first night, and often they won’t return to camp much of at all after that, particularly if they are the athletic type.

My oldest has run the gambit and is now 20 and enjoyed the video games and found friends with his interests - think anime, Pokémon etc. My youngest is the athlete and at 14 with 15+ cruises under his belt has also done it all. He meets friends and then we usually find him up on sports square playing basketball, putt putt, water slides etc.

So, as you can see my kids are VERY different and both had no issue meeting people and making friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our son is an only child as well. He went on his first cruise last year. He was 12 at the time. We are going again this year and he can't wait to go back to Circle C. He met a variety of friends and had fun hanging out and doing the scheduled activities. Video games, karaoke, dancing, organized activities were just some of the highlights. Going on the first night is key so he can get a feel for everyone. I hope he has a great time!

Our daughter also has been to the circle c and club 02 places and really enjoyed them. Just as others have said make sure they are there the first night for the meet and greet. They pretty much figure out that night who they want to hang out with for the week.

My son loved camp since he was three years old. Once he aged out of that part, he did not really get into the other clubs. When he was 12, he either had family members his age or did not hang out when it was just the 3 of us. He is an independent kid, preferring to play games and hang out doing stuff, he will meet other kids but did not stay in the teen room. He is used to being alone at home, outside of school, there are no other people his age that he is around. That said, he went the first night on this last cruise but didn’t go back. We were on the breeze so he found plenty to do during the day and at night, he watched movies, ate pizza and ice cream and used the pools. He is sociable but not really outgoing but will talk to other teens if he encounters them. I really wanted him to enjoy the clubs more but maybe he will like the next age group, he is 14 now. I agree with everything here and just let them find what works best for them. But I would insist on them going that first night just to see how the club is and who they might meet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m appreciative of everyone’s feedback- thank you!

Quilcruisers - your son sounds just like mine. He’s also very independent but not overly outgoing, but he can usually find someone in a group to hang out with. Other times he’s perfectly happy just being by himself. I hope he can make some new friends on the cruise to enjoy the vacation with.

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2018 at 1:40 PM, kctwinmommy said:

If you read my reviews, I'm sure at least at some point I discussed Circle C. Our son went on his first cruise when he was 12, and has been on 3 more since then. All while he would have been in the age group for Circle C. Two of them were with another couple and their son (who was a year older, but still in the same age group), but our son had never met him before, so it's not like it was 2 friends hanging out. Our son met other kids each time and hung out with them, and sometimes our friends son joined them, with a group of friends he had made.

Basically, the most important thing to do is go on the first night. That's when everyone meets, they get to know each other, see who they want to hang out with. And after that, it's a lot of those groups just hanging in the club. The schedule isn't always followed, as it depends on the number of kids and what they really want to do. Mine would play the video games, eat, swim, etc... And as long as we didn't have something really early the next day (like in Alaska), he could stay until the end (midnight or 1 a.m.). And he always had to be back before dinner to clean up & change. But the club closes during that time too. Be sure to set the rules you want as well (no going in other's rooms, nobody in your room, no going into unauthorized places, etc...). Some parents required their child to check in every so often, but we did not. We would always see him at least twice during the day without fail, as we found the same spot to hang on the deck.

Hi, 

What time does the first night meet and greet start?? I have a reso at the steakhouse at 6, but don't want my son to miss this.

TIA

Here is a copy of the Circle C Funtimes on the Carnival Fascination.  It is a few years old, but from our experience the camp schedules and activities have been relatively consistent over the years.  Notice the "Meet & Greet" on the schedule for the first night of the cruise.  This is the first night activity everyone above has been recommending, and I definitely recommend it also. It's so much easier making friends on the first night than it is later on in the week when the groups of friends have been formed. 

Circle C Schedule.pdf

2 hours ago, Faelia said:

Hi, 

What time does the first night meet and greet start?? I have a reso at the steakhouse at 6, but don't want my son to miss this.

TIA

It's typically scheduled after the early dinner, 8:00 or 8:30.

• Like 1