TIPPING - AUTOMATIC OR TRADITIONAL - how to go?

miandsh2000

WOW - the other thread got out of hand and i never really got my questions answered. topic kind of went off course. my question is: should i go with the automatic tipping or switch to traditional tipping? i can see pros with both. with automatic tipping, the $10 a day per person seems cheap and less headache. with traditional tipping, its more personal and heart felt and they get their money right the vs. waiting for it to come in their paycheck.

let me hear your thoughts.

before the posts start going crazy, this is not a question of whether to tip or not - it a question of whether to do automatic or not.

I also think that traditional tipping is more personal and heartfelt. These people just spent X amount of days cleaning after you and waiting on you. With traditional tipping you can adjust the tip to the amount of service they provided and give them a few words of appreciation. They take a lot of pride in their work so I'm sure they would like to know they made a difference in your cruise experience.

I asked our Cabin steward to answer me honestly in this one... what did he prefer?

He said he liked the automatic tip. It insured the 10.00 per person, per day. He surprised me when he said that many people do not tip that way.... they may leave 20.00 total in the cabin at the end of the cruise etc.

Our family of four used the automatic tip - we made up our mind on the fifth day - when we figured our service levels were perfect for the recommended tip - nothing more, nothing less.

The good thing is you can change your mind at any point up until the last full day.

Cathy

dolphin.gif

Ecstacy October 1992

Destiny October 1999

TRIUMPH May2003

TRIUMPH AGAIN! May 2004

Returning to the TRIUMPH on MAY 15TH!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;15;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

http://community.webshots.com/user/catrin0917

My nephew and I was on the Carnival Glory and we had a great time, I like to pay traditionally so that I can see how the service is...if you pay automatic and receive poor service you will feel cheated after having such a great time...Traditional is the way to go for me.... icon_smile.gif

My nephew and I will be cruising Oct.4, on the Carnival Glory...I can't contain myself I'm ready to sail....

good thoughts.

are there any ex-crew out there that would like to comment.

anyone know if the auto-tipping gets pooled and divided evenly or do the people that actually tend to you get the money that is charged to your S&S? seems it would be pooled - but you never know these day what they can do with computers.

also, anyone have any bad experience with trying to change your account from auto to taditional with the pursers desk?

I like the automatic tipping. I simply figure it in on my price for my vacation. Also, I hate to carry cash and since there are six in our family, tips are several hundred dollars. It is just more convenient.

I like the automatic tipping, although we have also done traditional in the past. We have never had a reason to adjust it down and often add some extra for exceptional service.

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

The tips are pooled. We have been told by ship employees that even if they receive cash they must turn it in tO be pooled between everyone. There are cabin assistants as well as cabin attendants and they must share.

Having said that, I asKed what happend if they only turn in what the suggested amount was and not any extra and I was told that they are usually short because not everyone even gives the suggested amount. They loose either way.....If they turn in less money than is expected, it is taken from their salary to spread out amoung the rest of the "service" staff.

DON'T YELL AT ME.......THIS IS JUST WHAT WE WERE TOLD WHEN WE ASKED CREW MEMBERS WHAT THEY WOULD RATHER HAVE!

Count down to sailing time for Carnival Triumph

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=4>

<param name="day" value=24>

<param name="hour" value=16>

</applet>

Count Down to Norewgian "Sun"

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=10>

<param name="day" value=16>

<param name="hour" value=16>

</applet>

Sensation 2000

Sensation 2001

Fascination 2001

Monarch of the Seas 2002

Triumph 2004

Norwegian Sun 2004

The bottom line, with this question as well as many other things in life is..."What feels right for YOU?"

You need to do what your heart tells you...you don't need everyone else's opinions because they are so varied you'll only get confused anyway!!

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

LMHSRN - Did I understand you right? They have to turn in their cash too. Is this split between the team or entire staff? Oh, kind of off topic but I noticed you live in Cape Coral. I use to live there, went to Caloosa Elem. and Middle.I hear it has grown a lot since then.

Halos - couldn't have said it better! What is right for one isn't always right for another. Each side has good reasons to support their beliefs.

Yes, you understand me. We have been told by more than one employee that they have to turn in all cash to be split between all service staff.

Carnival has an idea of how much each person gets so they have a good idea if someone is holding back. The automatic charge also was to help elivate some of the staff keeping part of the cash. If it is automatic, they never touch it, therefore it is all turned in (so to speak.

This is how the assistants get their tips.....cabin assistants, buffet servers, etc.

Days till Triumph Sails with us on board

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;4;24;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Time until the Norwegian Sun Sails

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;16;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sensation 2000

Sensation 2001

Fascination 2001

Monarch of the Seas 2002

Triumph 2004

Norwegian Sun 2004

That is kind of sad. Some crew members work harder and are more considerate. I hate to think that we just tipped our steward and assistant $60 extra and they had to share it with someone else. I can kind of see the auto. tipping getting split. But I feel if I'm doing both then what I give over is between me and that person.

You're right Britt-Britt.

Maybe they should do it differently...you know how if you go to a restaurant and your party is 8 people or larger, a 15% gratuity is automatically added on...and you can tip additional if you see fit? Well, maybe the cruise lines should add the gratuity right to the cost of the cruise (don't bash me too hard on this one!!! icon_eek.gif) and then if the service person deserves more, you give them extra and THEY get to keep it without pooling it.

Just a thought.

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

[This message was edited by halos on 04-03-04 at 11:25 AM.]

I like the automatic tipping. But, I usually take envelopes along with me and if I have had more than average service, I give extra at the end of the cruise. It is my understanding that the personel don't have to share the extra tips that they are given.

Marilyn

MumsyO

Next cruise: Sensation, May 6, 2004

HAL, Amsterdam, Aug. 1, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till I'm howling with the Hounds!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;2;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle 2/13/05

I didn't think anyone did traditional tipping on Carnival any more. Their new recommendations don't make it very easy to figure it out, they kind of lump some of the categories together.

But for those who do still like the traditional method, the calculator below will be a help in preparing the envelopes...

Theron

Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western

Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili)

Cruise Tip Calculator - Calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

Archived