AMA or Avalon?

ducklite

Currently looking at a Danube cruise Budapest to Bucharest, possibly late summer 2019.

Both lines seem to offer similar amenities, cabins, and itineraries at similar prices.  But as we know it can be the small things that will make or break an experience.

I'd like to hear thoughts on the two, particularly if you've sailed both and have a preference for one over the other.

We are later 50's, experienced travelers who will possibly do our own thing in many ports but still like the ability to take a tour when it interests us.  (We typically find that we can cover a lot more ground on our own than a tour with a guide trying to herd 30 people along.)  We  We will be booking the least expensive cabin as we've found on the small ships with port intensive itineraries that we use the cabin to sleep and shower.  We like inspired food with quality ingredients, however we don't need exotic or gourmet meals.   We strongly prefer an elegant casual dress code that doesn't require jackets or ties.  My husband has no problem putting on a collared shirt, slacks, and closed toed shoes at dinner, but doesn't want to lug a sport coat around if he doesn't need to.

We won't ride bikes, so that isn't important.  I have food allergies that can easily be worked around by a good kitchen.  We like a comfortable bed with quality linens and extra pillows.  The ability to get a pot of hot tea delivered to our room as soon as we wake up each morning (and we are often up around 6:00 am) is a major plus.

We are also acutely aware of the possibility of low rivers and would like to hear about how each line has handled this.  We will likely be booking our own airfare and hotels and will be "cruise only" passengers.

Thanks!

Edited by ducklite

I’ve sailed on both lines, and wouldn’t hesitate to use either again. I would give the edge to Ama, but I do believe that Ama is slightly more expensive.  I don’t believe either offers room service, but you can send your significant other to fetch you a fresh cuppa from where the early riser breakfast is set up or the coffee room. 

• Like 1

The cost difference between the two is only a few hundred dollars, not enough to sway our decision.  I'm going to spend some time over the holidays digging deep into reviews for each line/boat to help make the decision easier.  Thanks for your response!

• 1 month later...

We have travelled with both, and would do so again without concerns.  We have only done 1 cruise with AMA, and 3 with Avalon (#4 with them in March) - as Avalon tends to have better prices for the itineraries/dates we are interested in.   We almost always book lowest category - and I do not believe either offers room service. 

We find Avalon very relaxed - and have found that we truly enjoy the package they offer.  One thing they have offered in the past (different from other cruise lines) is the opportunity to take the "included" excursion later in the day - if there is an optional that is only offered in the morning.  We have not had that on any other cruise line (our cruise in March is our 14th on the rivers).

We were to do Bucharest to Budapest with them in October, but the cruise was cancelled due to the low rivers.  All monies returned quite quickly. 

We have done Bucharest to Budapest in the past with Viking - and were looking forward to doing it again with Avalon.  We booked the tour that included Transylvania before boarding the boat - and we were to board in Fetesti instead of Georgiu --> so we would start at Km 0 on the Danube.  We may try to book this itinerary again, but already have 2 vacations booked for next year, so it would like not be until 2010. 

Hope this helps.

Fran

• 1 month later...

Can't compare as I haven't done AMA but we are booked for our 4th Avalon.  Bucharest to Budapest in the Fall.   That'll be the fourth  Avalon in five years, so that should tell you something.  Plus, Cruise Critic itself chose Avalon as the best cabins in the fleet, so there's that!