Chacchoben or Kohunlich?

NCTribeFan

Will be in Costa Maya in December and trying to choose between Chacchoban and Kohunlich (MSC ship tours).  The description of Chacchoben says that you can climb some of the pyramids.  If that's the case, I'll opt for that one since the ride to and from Kohunlich is rather long, although I'd love to see the masks. 

Surprisingly, this will be my 34th cruise (I think!) and I've never had a port call in Costa Maya so would like at least a little time to explore there.

So, can anyone confirm that it is possible to climb pyramids at Chacchoben?  Another thread about various sites stated no climbing there.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe you can climb the ruins at Chacchoben anymore. You might confirm with Native Choice. That is the one that will be most crowded since it is the closest and most of the ship tours go there. But it is a long way to Kohunlich, so it just depends on what your priorities are.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Chacchoben with Native Choice, now this was 4 years ago so it might've changed since then - although it does not seem to have changed from the info on their site. They got us to the ruins before the big busses got there so we had the ruins to ourselves and we were able to climb (it was rainy so pretty slippery).  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...