Travel with 1 year old on epic

booboosheep

Hi. I have cruised before with celebrity and rccl. This is our first ncl cruise. But this time it will be with our 12 month old. He is a super chill kid and quiet, just loves to watch people and his surroundings. Plus grandma and pa are coming too. 

Does anyone know what kind of pack and play they provide? Will they provide bedding ,sheets etc? Sorry my consultant seems to ignore me.

Has anybody tendered with a stroller? We love walks and will be in grand cayman and hope i can just get off the ship and take a stroll for a bit.

Any advice on what i def need on thst ship. Thanks

I myself have not had to use a stroller on a tender but I've seen other people do it. After you come down the ramp onto the tender boat, they seem to leave the strollers before you walk down the steps to get to the seats. it didn't seem like anybody had a problem with that ( meaning it wasn't awkward or cumbersome) and from what I remember seeing, they secure the stroller so it's not flying all over the front of the tender.

I have tendered with two strollers actually (two adults two wee ones) - the tender crew on both ends are always very helpful.

Can't help with the Epic pack'n'play set up but what we were provided in the past on Jewel / Jade / Sun were fairy robust but not with specialized bedding - just white sheets and normal pillows. We always brough those special little pillows and blankeys with us. 

15 minutes ago, cdnsteelman said:

I have tendered with two strollers actually (two adults two wee ones) - the tender crew on both ends are always very helpful.

Can't help with the Epic pack'n'play set up but what we were provided in the past on Jewel / Jade / Sun were fairy robust but not with specialized bedding - just white sheets and normal pillows. We always brough those special little pillows and blankeys with us. 

Similar:  Not Epic, but still NCL.  We had pretty much the "regulation style" Pack n Play type set up, with just a white sheet folded over a pad on the bottom.  I don't remember about any "blankeys" being provided, but we had brought our own bedding, including sheets, so we just swapped the folded white sheet out.

Everything was nicely straightened up again each day for us.

RM

We sailed the Epic in 2013 when my nephew was 8 months old. Not sure on the type or brand name of the pack 'n play, but NCL did provide one. It fit nicely in front of the couch, though I don't recall it taking up the entire length of the couch. They provided sheets, but I don't think they provided anything else. My sister had brought his blanket along, so I think they used that. My memory is fuzzy since it was 5 years ago and I don't have kids.

We had to put in the request for one with our PCC before we sailed, and it was in the room my when sister and BIL arrived. 

We sailed with a 10 month old on the Epic and they provided a Graco Travel Lite which is a smaller pack n play. When we were on Dawn they had a regular basic Graco pack n play. They don't have fitted sheets for them, they just fold up a sheet for the bottom. We take a quilted pack n play sheet to add a little cushion and a couple of regular pack n play sheets to put over that. They worked fine on both versions we've gotten from NCL.

We've tendered with a baby but I think I just wore him in the Ergo the whole time. I think a smaller umbrella style stroller (like a Chicco or Summer 3D Lite or Maclearan one with a small basket and sun shade, not necessarily the $10 bare bones kind) would be fine for a tender, but you'll want to have it folded up and be carrying baby until you get off the tender.

• Like 1

We cruised with a 6-month old on the Escape this past April. We brought our own pack-and-play for a few reasons: we were driving to the pier, the pack-and-play was familiar to our baby, and we wanted to have a fitted sheet as opposed to a folded regular sheet.

For our next cruise on the Gem, we'll probably bring our pack-and-play again as long as we have room for it in the car. If we were flying, we wouldn't bring it.

I'd call NCL's reservations desk and ask that a pack-and-play be provided, and they should have one ready for you.

We went with a baby carrier and a stroller, and that worked out really well. The baby carrier was clutch for muster drill, and the stroller was great for walking around the ship.

If your baby is a people-watcher, he's gonna love cruising. We had a great experience and can't wait to go again. It's different than cruising pre-baby, obviously, but it's so relaxing when nobody has to cook or clean for a whole week! So worth it.

We used Maclaren Techno XLRs, which are an umbrella style but a bit more substantial. They also have a lay-flat setting and when Thing 1 was over 3 (thus Splash Academy age) we'd put the younger Thing 2 to sleep in the stroller, walk a few laps of the promenade to ensure he was good and out and then headed off to the specialty restaurants for a proper couple's meal while he slept beside us in his stroller. They also have a very convenient side handle for tendering - I could actually carry two of them in one hand.