1/2 Day Snorkel Trips in St. Martin and St. Thomas?

mandm2

My husband and I will be on the April 2nd, 2006 Explorer of the Seas cruise and would like to know if there are any recommendations of 1/2 day snorkeling trips on either island. Since we've never been to either, we don't want to spend the whole day on a snorkeling trip. Also, if anyone has suggestions on how to spend the rest of the day on each island, that would be most welcome!

Cheers!

Marie and Simon

Captain Nautica snorkel excursion in St. Thomas is dynamite! Snorkeling is much better around St. Thomas than St. Martin. Go to a beach (many love Orient beach) at St. Martin. Taxis are very easy there, right at the end of the pier with lots of signs to point the way. Or stay in town as the whole of Phillipsburg fronts a long, white beach!

In St Martin,we got off early,took the water taxi to the downtown area..Spent the morning on the beach,then did some of that fabulous shopping..Then back to the ship for a quick bite at the Promonade cafe,then off on our snorkel..I will have to look up the name...But I think it was the one offered through the ship....

The snorkleing was fair..But the crew on this boat were great..It was a first rate snorkle rig...2 decks,covered on half,with little cubbies under the seats for everything... They were the MOST organized crew I have been with in over 20 years of snorkling...They had a deck,that dropped down into the water for very easy on and off...and fast...they broke everyone up into groups..based on experienced..Our guide was great and had us all diving down and playing with lobsters and starfish...

When you were done..you just swam up to the boat and let a wave wash you on board...Then they open up the top deck,let the gate down..and let us dive off the top of the boat....

It was a lot of fun...

I don't usually recommend ship's excursions, but the Buck Island snorkel excursion is a really good one. There is good sea life over at Buck Island. It is 1/2 day and then you can do what you want for the rest of the day.

If you want to have fun on St. Maarten, the America's Cup Regatta is a fantastic excursion! We did this last time there and had such a great time. You can only do this through the ship, too. (Darn) I got to man the helm of the Stars and Stripes back into the harbor! Here are some pictures from that excursion: http://community.webshots.com/album/528943965HpvFnj

Has anyone ever been on the Golden Eagle Island Sailaway on St. Maarten? This is our first cruise leaving on the 28 on the Jewel OTS and seem to be second guessing all of our choices. I think I am readikng too much! Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

Has anyone ever been on the Golden Eagle Island Sailaway on St. Maarten? This is our first cruise leaving on the 28 on the Jewel OTS and seem to be second guessing all of our choices. I think I am readikng too much! Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

Mike,

Have done the Golden Eagle and it was quite pleasant. It's a large sailing catamaran and they take you to an island on the French side where you can snorkle, swim or lay around the beautiful beach. They provide sandwiches and the beverages are non-stop. Be aware that the beach is clothing optional and full & partial nudity is likely.

mandm2,

as 39august said, the Captain Nautica excursion through the ship is awesome. They ony take about 12 people and their boats are the same kind the Navy Seals use. They have twin 225HP outboard motors and get you to St. John in a hurry. We were snorkeling at our first reef while other tours were still enroute. Our 2nd stop was at Honeymoon Beach, which is travel brochure picture-perfect. Before our return they gave us some yummy shrimp cocktail. The excursion leaves form the pier where the ship docks, so there is no travel time to & fro. Can easily do the morning excursion, return to your cabin for clean clothes and then go shopping or whatever interests you.

]My husband and I will be on the April 2nd, 2006 Explorer of the Seas cruise and would like to know if there are any recommendations of 1/2 day snorkeling trips on either island.

We'll be going on the same cruise in June.

We've been to St. Thomas before and plan are going to Coki Beach Click here: Coki Beach Dive Club / About Us and Our Beach right when we get there. You can ask any of the open air van drivers that are waiting for you right off the ship. Bring some dog biscuits for the fish. We usually do Charlottle Amaile shopping but this trip we are going to try the stores right near where the ship docks.

Have fun!

Archived