Gluten Free on Sirena

Bernergirl

I am interested in hearing other cruisers experiences with eating gluten free on Sirena.  I there a variety of dishes to chooses from for entrees, dessert?  Is there oatmeal at the buffet at breakfast?  This is our first time on Oceania in 6 years and we have been on Azamara where they have adapted dishes for many evening meals.  There were always several choices at the buffet at lunch and items were labeled and if I had a question a sous chef appeared very quickly. I am not celiac though I will be sick for 3-4 days after eating more than just a little gluten.  Just a read a few reviews "Overall the ship did a good job of providing gluten free food options, but it could have been better. Every single meal we had to ask the chef to point out what she could eat instead of simply putting a "GF" label on the cards describing each dish. She only was contaminated once when given inaccurate information. For the most part the servers and food preparers at the stations need additional training in preparing gluten free meals. They could also do a better job of having gluten free choices rather an a cookie at the tea or one dessert (if you were lucky) Tired of hearing fruit plate, salad and dry chicken." like this one that have me very cautious about booking our TA.  

Any input is very appreciated,

Alice

I would  suggest contacting special services dept   or have your TA  do it  making sure  it is noted in your file you need GF

If eating in the buffet you will need to check with the Chef  to be sure  the items are GF  before  consuming anything

You will get menus  a day or 2 before to choose dishes  that you want & they do their best to  keep it GF

Better to advise them ahead of time that be ill on your cruise

What LHT28 said - let them know ahead of time.  We have been on 6 O cruises and I haven't been glutened yet...although I do stay alert lol.

The buffet items are not labeled - but ime the chef is happy to walk you through and point out what works and what does not.

More 'gluten free on O' info on this thread from over the summer.

Not sure about availability of gf oatmeal - I am an eggs and bacon breakfast person.  I would guess the 'regular' oatmeal is not certified gluten free, but I do not know.  You can order gf pancakes in the GDR at breakfast, but not all servers know that they are available.

5 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Gluten free soy sauce isn’t usually available in the Terrace at dinner when sushi is on the menu. I typically bring me own.

is it there  at other times??

If  so  why not just ask them to put it out?

I'm about to take my third cruise on Oceania (Regatta and Riviera).  I have MANY food allergies including gluten.  I've done quite well.  I make sure that I notify guest services early and check in with the dining staff when I board. I get the dining room/specialty restaurant menus the night before and can choose my items in advance or head to the buffet.  Even with my limitations, I find great things to eat.  I ask for GF toast in the morning before I order my eggs as it takes a bit of time.  I've had NO reactions on either trip.  I even enjoyed my meal at Toscana.  🙂  You just need to plan ahead and ask for help.