Turtles in December?

beckylj22

We will be cruising the ABC islands at the end of December. Is there a chance we will see sea turtles or do they move on by then? I've tried googling and I see they nest May-December, but do they stick around awhile after nesting? We are taking our 4 kids and they love sea turtles, but I don't want to get their hopes up if there isn't much of a chance of seeing any.

3 hours ago, bup1224 said:

Playa Piskado (Playa Grandi) the turtles are almost always there

Seconded. 

The tour my Wife and I just took a week ago made a stop there and we saw turtles from the dock, other folks snorkeled with them right from shore.  Fishermen's scraps keep the turtles coming in daily from what we were told.

Agree with all of the above.  We rented a car and went there first before all the tours showed up.  Was amazing as we were pretty much alone as we swam with the turtles.  From what I hear they are there all year long.  But, that's just what I was told.  We were there in October.

You don't have to even snorkel.  Just get a mask and walk out a ways.  Just be still and let them come to you.

Have fun! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 5:01 PM, Duanerice1 said:

Agree with all of the above.  We rented a car and went there first before all the tours showed up.  Was amazing as we were pretty much alone as we swam with the turtles.  From what I hear they are there all year long.  But, that's just what I was told.  We were there in October.

You don't have to even snorkel.  Just get a mask and walk out a ways.  Just be still and let them come to you.

Have fun! 

Did you book your car before the cruise? Or did you get one once you got there? What company did you use?

4 hours ago, beckylj22 said:

Did you book your car before the cruise? Or did you get one once you got there? What company did you use?

We booked ahead of time.  Heard great stuff about Advance Care Rental and it was right.  Full tank of gas, clean, newer car, map with everything marked, a GPS with the hot spots pre programmed and he gave us a cell phone to call when we wanted to bring the car back.  Compared to Aruba this was fantastic.  We will rent from  Celestino again for sure.  Check out my mini report: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2596667-curacao-car-rental-and-turtles/

The car rental web site is:

http://www.advancecarrentalcuracao.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 4:26 PM, beckylj22 said:

We will be cruising the ABC islands at the end of December. Is there a chance we will see sea turtles or do they move on by then? I've tried googling and I see they nest May-December, but do they stick around awhile after nesting? We are taking our 4 kids and they love sea turtles, but I don't want to get their hopes up if there isn't much of a chance of seeing any.

Hi there,

There are 2 spots were the turtles are the whole year. Hatching time is over.

look at www.b2ncuracao.com

• Like 1