Gran Turk Geography 101- Need help

bluecruisin

Okay, I admit it I know nothing about this port and will be going there in Nov. on the Elation.Please help me with some basic questions. #1. Are the Turks and Cacios Islands an independent country or are they a territory of another country(i.e. Britian,U.S. France,ect) #2 What is the official language spoken and do they still speak some English if it's a different language? #3 What is thier local currency and is the U.S. dollar accepted? How much of thier currency equals one dollar? Thanks to all you more functioning brains out there!

Are the Turks and Cacios Islands an independent country or are they a territory of another country(i.e. Britian,U.S. France,ect) #2 What is the official language spoken and do they still speak some English if it's a different language? #3 What is thier local currency and is the U.S. dollar accepted? How much of thier currency equals one dollar? Thanks to all you more functioning brains out there!

This link should help: http://turksandcaicos.tc/government/index.htm

Queen Elizabeth II is head of state ... other info is found in the home page of the web site. Does look like a Carnival new desitnation to consider.

Just booked on the Elation yesterday for May. When I saw this port of call that made up my mind. Heard great things about the Turks. Now I need to start research. Sadly Elation doesn't stay all day so hopefully there will be enough time to check it out,

Just booked on the Elation yesterday for May. When I saw this port of call that made up my mind. Heard great things about the Turks. Now I need to start research. Sadly Elation doesn't stay all day so hopefully there will be enough time to check it out,

Grand Turk is relatively small, I am on Elation 5/14, and feel like that I will have more the enough time to explore and get a nice dive in too.

We'll be on Elation in Sept... The Grand Turk stop was a big factor (in addition to the low price) in our choosing this cruise. I never stopped to think about the currency, government, etc. because honestly, in all the Caribbean cruising I have done, language nor currency was never an issue.

Even in French Martinique and in French-influenced islands like Dominica, *everyone* you'll meet is fluent in English, and they are very happy to take US Dollars.

It is not an issue like visiting Europe or even Canada. Seriously, you won't have any cultural or economic barriers at all in the Caribbean.

• 4 weeks later...
Grand Turk is relatively small, I am on Elation 5/14, and feel like that I will have more the enough time to explore and get a nice dive in too.

We too with be on the Elation on 5/14... looking forward to it.

I made my first visit to Turks & Caicos on the Serenity last year. I have a good friend (that was born there ) who has told me over the years that there's not much to Grand Turk. Although w/ the opening of the new Cruise Terminal Complex that might provide enough attractions to kill a few hours. The big draw here is snorkeling & scuba diving. In that respect, it's the best diving in this hemisphere. My friend lives on the island of Providenciales (Provo). I chose to fly from Grand Turk to Provo for the day; & I'm so glad I did. Provo (at least half of the island) is developing rapidly. The water is breathtakingly beautiful. You can find areas w/ pretty pastel colored houses, shops & restaurants (Blue Hills Area). There are signs of a growing "city" (Lowe's, large supermarkets, etc.). And then the area of Grace Bay is spectacular (longtime home of Club Med, Beaches resorts). It is currently overcome w/ construction (more condos & resort hotels). My point is, IMO, I'd much rather spend the day on Provo than Grand Turk. There are 2 airlines (SkyKing & T&C Air) w/ flights about every 90 mins. RT fare about $160. I will be back to Grand Turk on Serenity in Nov; & intend to spend my day in Provo. The people are extremely nice, speak the Queen's English & use the US Dollar. Can't beat it. Enjoy your stop. :D

• 1 month later...

Archived