Venice - Celebrity Cruise ship organized watertaxi?

lncruisers

We will be doing a back to back cruise with the first ending and the second starting in Venice in May 2019.

We arrive at 6:30 am and leave at 6:00 pm

We want to get into St Marks and also do a gondola ride in the short time we will be there.

Does anyone know if Celebrity offers any water boat transportation from the port to or near St Marks Square?

If not can someone let us know a fairly accurate time to walk from the port to St Mark's and what is the most straight forward

path to take?

Any piece of info is greatly appreciated.

lncruisers

Its very easy to take the Alilaguna Water Bus from the cruise terminal to San Marco (blue line) -  link to time table. It's a 25 minutes ride  - price for round trip is €15 (€8 for one way). Walking will be 45 minutes. Do the boat ride one way and walk back.

You can also use the Alilaguna service to/from airport  - it is a 1:40 hours ride to airport and cost of €15 one way.

Enjoy Venice.

• Like 1

I'm sure Celebrity will have a shuttle available.  It will be a money-maker for them.  But find out if you pay for each trip or if it's an all day pass.

St Marks is only 15-20 minutes away by boat so you will have plenty of time for sightseeing during your day in Venice.  If this is your first visit I highly recommend taking a water bus (vaporetto) down the Grand Canal. It's a wonderful way to enjoy the architecture  (and see how their world operates without cars ! )  From the ship you walk a couple of blocks to the People Mover (monorail) for a 3 minute/ 1.5 E ride to Piazzale Roma.  From P Roma, you walk another 2 blocks to the Grand Canal and you'll see a Vaporetto stop to your left. 7.5E for the ticket. 

I have no sense of direction.  It took me 3 or 4 hrs to find my way from the port to our hotel near PRoma.  Luckily I wasn't under a deadline, but it was frustrating  to waste the time.  I think it should only take 30-40 minutes. (On the plus side, being lost provided a memorable ride in a traghetto across the canal which was a fun and inexpensive experience.)

The attached web site provides info about the walk and signage: (it's a great web site in general if you take the time to read thru it)

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/finding-your-way-in-venice-directional-signs.htm

So my recommendation would be the People Mover plus vaporetto, then wander around for several hours.  As you wander you can also determine what kind of gondola ride you want and where ..... on the busy Grand Canal with famous sights in the background? or a quiet romantic side canal ? 

After a full day of wandering, make a quick return to the ship via their shuttle or the Alilaguna,.   Enjoy !!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/9/2018 at 6:54 PM, lncruisers said:

We will be doing a back to back cruise with the first ending and the second starting in Venice in May 2019.

We arrive at 6:30 am and leave at 6:00 pm

We want to get into St Marks and also do a gondola ride in the short time we will be there.

Does anyone know if Celebrity offers any water boat transportation from the port to or near St Marks Square?

If not can someone let us know a fairly accurate time to walk from the port to St Mark's and what is the most straight forward

path to take?

Any piece of info is greatly appreciated.

lncruisers

Gondola rides are expensive and touristic.

You will see more of the city if you use the city transit (water taxi) and walk ...