Kroger Gift Card 4x Fuel Point Promo

MikeMSD

Every year around this time, Kroger runs a 4x fuel point promotion with e-coupon for their gift cards. In the past, I've always picked up one of the $100-$500 adjustable value Carnival gift cards and put $250 on it so I could get 1000 fuel points. The promo expires tomorrow, so I went yesterday to get one and the cashier asked me if I was trying to do the 4x promo. I said I was, and she told me that the promo was invalid on adjustable value cards, and only works on the set value cards. I asked her if that was a new policy this year, and she said no, it's been like that forever. She voided the card for me as she said once I bought it, I couldn't return it.

I saw the manager on the way out and stopped and asked him. He confirmed what the cashier said, that adjustable cards did not count. I once again asked when they changed that and he said it's been that way always. When I told him that I've been buying the same card for 3 years now and putting $250 on it, he told me that it must have been a glitch allowing me to do that. I wrote to Kroger corporate to check if that was true, because it was nowhere on their terms and conditions. All I got back was a stock "we've forwarded your concerns to executive management" reply.

Has anyone tried buying the adjustable value Carnival gift cards from Kroger using the 4x fuel point promo? I was planning on using the value to load onto my S&S card on my February cruise. While I've got the money saved away to spend for the trip, I'd rather it sit in my account than Carnival's if I'm not going to get any value from buying the card.

Okay, so I just got back from Kroger, and finally found the extended terms and conditions on the sign. It says the offer doesn't apply to the adjustable value financial gift cards like the amex and mastercard ones. I bought a Carnival one and got all my fuel points. Looks like the cashier and manager were just wrong.

1 hour ago, MikeMSD said:

Every year around this time, Kroger runs a 4x fuel point promotion with e-coupon for their gift cards. In the past, I've always picked up one of the $100-$500 adjustable value Carnival gift cards and put $250 on it so I could get 1000 fuel points. The promo expires tomorrow, so I went yesterday to get one and the cashier asked me if I was trying to do the 4x promo. I said I was, and she told me that the promo was invalid on adjustable value cards, and only works on the set value cards. I asked her if that was a new policy this year, and she said no, it's been like that forever. She voided the card for me as she said once I bought it, I couldn't return it.

I saw the manager on the way out and stopped and asked him. He confirmed what the cashier said, that adjustable cards did not count. I once again asked when they changed that and he said it's been that way always. When I told him that I've been buying the same card for 3 years now and putting $250 on it, he told me that it must have been a glitch allowing me to do that. I wrote to Kroger corporate to check if that was true, because it was nowhere on their terms and conditions. All I got back was a stock "we've forwarded your concerns to executive management" reply.

Has anyone tried buying the adjustable value Carnival gift cards from Kroger using the 4x fuel point promo? I was planning on using the value to load onto my S&S card on my February cruise. While I've got the money saved away to spend for the trip, I'd rather it sit in my account than Carnival's if I'm not going to get any value from buying the card.

I buy other adjustable value gift cards and get 4x points so I think they are wrong. I just did it yesterday for a Starbucks adjustable card and I got the 4x points.

2 hours ago, MikeMSD said:

Okay, so I just got back from Kroger, and finally found the extended terms and conditions on the sign. It says the offer doesn't apply to the adjustable value financial gift cards like the amex and mastercard ones. I bought a Carnival one and got all my fuel points. Looks like the cashier and manager were just wrong.

Does Kroger sell adjustable gift cards? I have only seen $100 and $500. I'd like more options.

2 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Does Kroger sell adjustable gift cards? I have only seen $100 and $500. I'd like more options.

Yes, they have one is that any value between $100-$500. At least in my area it's the only one they sell.

28 minutes ago, aknguyen said:

I've never heard of this 4x gift card promo at Kroger. I'll have to look it up. I normally shop elsewhere but I do get the flyers and have never seen this advertised.

It's valid with an eCoupon in the app. You have to add it before purchasing. It's a promo they do every year around this time. It's valid until 12/11 here.

Kroger stores in our part of the world have been offering the 4X fuel points for gift cards more and more frequently (with the digital coupon added to your app) . Each Carnival gift card I have purchased since booking in August was during 4X fuel point promotions. 

Some of our cards have been adjustable. We have received the 4X fuel points with allllllll the cards purchased during the promotions.

I will be interested to hear what you hear from corporate.

I have bought Carnival gift cards from Kroger several times of differing amounts ($100, $300, $500) and always got the 4x points.  I get the gas points from Kroger, and by using my Capital One Visa get 2x points on it that can be redeemed for other Carnival purchases. 

4 hours ago, MikeMSD said:

Why not get the AARP ones?  They are 10% off on their website ...you just sign up and earn free points to use by taking easy fast quizzes.

I just bought 2700 dollars worth--so saved 270 bucks to pay off my cruise in March

On 12/10/2018 at 2:39 PM, bingomamma19 said:

Why not get the AARP ones?  They are 10% off on their website ...you just sign up and earn free points to use by taking easy fast quizzes.

I just bought 2700 dollars worth--so saved 270 bucks to pay off my cruise in March

I get 6% cash back at supermarkets with my Amex Blue Cash Preferred card, plus the fuel points makes it a pretty good offer. The 10% off may be better, but honestly that AARP offer got annoying to chase so I stopped.

1 hour ago, MikeMSD said:

I get 6% cash back at supermarkets with my Amex Blue Cash Preferred card, plus the fuel points makes it a pretty good offer. The 10% off may be better, but honestly that AARP offer got annoying to chase so I stopped.

I just take a bunch of quizzes over a week when I need to buy---I just earned 27000k points to buy the 2700 in cards.   They will be delivered tomorrow...less than a week after ordering.   I was surprised how fast that was.

I used to only get the online ones...this is my first time getting mailed ones.

On 12/10/2018 at 3:39 PM, bingomamma19 said:

In my region Kroger does not limit the amount of reward points that you can use per visit. You can literally make your gas free up to 38 gallons. This makes the 4x fuel redemption a much better value proposition than the 10% off gift card. A five hundred dollar gift card will get you $2.00 off per gallon, a potential return of $76. The AARP discount nets you $50.

This of course assumes you can maximize the gas discount, if you cant take all 38 gallons the net return falls. My wife and I take advantage of this by filling up two cars at the same time, or I call my teenage niece and treat her to a tank when its time to fill up.

Edited by Cousin Eddie
math

55 minutes ago, Cousin Eddie said:

In my region Kroger does not limit the amount of reward points that you can use per visit. You can literally make your gas free up to 38 gallons. This makes the 4x fuel redemption a much better value proposition than the 10% off gift card. A five hundred dollar gift card will get you $2.00 off per gallon, a potential return of $76. The AARP discount nets you $50.

This of course assumes you can maximize the gas discount, if you cant take all 38 gallons the net return falls. My wife and I take advantage of this by filling up two cars at the same time, or I call my teenage niece and treat her to a tank when its time to fill up.

That could work for some....my tank is 20 gallons...so that is not going to get me near my 270 dollars in savings :)  But whatever works for everyone....Just know...you DONT have to pay full price for your carnival cruise...lots of ways to save with this cards one way or another.