VIKING ORION DOWNUNDER

Aussie Cruise Nuts

Viking Orion made her maiden call to Melbourne, Australia today.     She entered Port Phillip Bay early this morning and was docked at the Port Melbourne Cruise Terminal by 9am.     

I was following her progress on my ship tracker app and ventured down to see her arrival.    The first pic is from Brighton Beach on a foggy Melbourne morning.   I then battled the inbound morning  peak hour traffic down to Port Melbourne Cruise Terminal to see her dock.  These pics are a little clearer.

We are looking forward to our very first Viking Ocean cruise - 37 days Hong Kong to Vancouver on 20 April 2019.    A great itinerary covering Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Eastern Russia, Cross the Bering Sea, Alaska and down into Vancouver.  

It will  be great to add a new cruise line to our much loved Seabourn, as well as a few cruises on Regent, Azamara, Crystal, Paul Gauguin, Holland America and Celebrity.      

I have been following the Viking Ocean threads for some time now and have learnt so much from the regular contributors - so thanks to all and particularly  Peregrina651.    

Rod 

F60ED4F4-BCE6-4290-A4D6-518CC8CA0209.thumb.jpeg.6b22c9ca7272618956f3b61fbe4d1135.jpeg7F06B0B0-A4B7-4506-B70A-2DAFB3A783F1.thumb.jpeg.7d7676cd7d9e982808f0d03f045e7b85.jpegEB0B1ED3-344F-4392-9CC3-A5C7741125F9.thumb.jpeg.9a01248d0fc800517c86f1aa747c9146.jpeg2FB7FBA3-34C9-40BD-A7FA-B2E304E966A1.thumb.jpeg.6ead7306fdc881205d06364e9cac4256.jpeg

• Like 1

hello Rod .. thanks for the photos. That itinerary sounds great, enjoy the planning. 

I have also been following Orion over recent times as we board in Auckland on 30 December and will be in 'Melbourne' in early January. We actually dock in Geelong so rather than visit Melbourne (which we have done before) we have a hire car booked to drive part of the Great Ocean Road that day (which we have not done before).

I agree, advice received in this forum is almost always helpful and informative - so I second your final comments.

Regards, Monty (ex-Brisbane)

Edited by Little Monty
error

Little Monty.      Not long to your Orion cruise.    That’s a nice itinerary we have previously cruised - not on Viking.    A good plan to drive the beautiful Great Ocean Road from Geelong.    It’s a spectacular drive.   I hope the weather is fine for you.     Apollo Bay for lunch is nice  and should work  (allow an easy 2 1/2 hour drive each way - lots of photo stops along the way).     Distances are not far, but it’s a windy single lane each way and there will be lots of holiday traffic in early January.    

Pushka - Panomax is a great resource.    I assume it’s from a high Viking deck.  I had not seen it before.  

Rod 

Edited by Aussie Cruise Nuts

13 hours ago, Little Monty said:

hello Rod .. thanks for the photos. That itinerary sounds great, enjoy the planning. 

I have also been following Orion over recent times as we board in Auckland on 30 December and will be in 'Melbourne' in early January. We actually dock in Geelong so rather than visit Melbourne (which we have done before) we have a hire car booked to drive part of the Great Ocean Road that day (which we have not done before).

I agree, advice received in this forum is almost always helpful and informative - so I second your final comments.

Regards, Monty (ex-Brisbane)

When did Viking change Melbourne to Geelong .  The itinerary says Melbourne with the free tour being in Melbourne.???  I wish they would add Fiordland Sounds to this itinerary.  Seems strange to miss it off.

Apologies harbourside .. my error (I mis-read the port schedule). The schedule is actually showing the Orion at 'Station Pier' (which I think is where the Orion was yesterday). I better change that hire car booking  😲. And yes, the inclusion of Milford / Doubtful Sound would be a great addition. Thanks

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Rod - thanks for the photos and hope you enjoy your cruise and stay a few days in Vancouver, before heading back. Hopefully our weather will have improved by May.

Thanks Heidi13.     Yes, we will be staying a few days in Vancouver.    Catching up with some friends who live in your fair city.    We met them on a 2017 HAL cruise Sydney to Vancouver.      We have visited Vancouver many times and two of our adult daughters lived there as young adults some years ago whilst on a working holiday after graduation. 

Then flying to Chicago to meet up with another 2 cruise couples from Toronto we met on that same cruise.   That’s cruising for you - you make so many lasting friendships from all over the world.    

Rod