Help me make sure I’m using my promos correctly?

chloe173

I’m going to be sailing the 9-day Baltic capitals cruise on the NCL Getaway in August. It seems like the Free-at-Sea promo options we chose when we booked have changed a lot since I last used NCL though. Can you all make sure I know how to use these correctly?

Ultimate Beverage Package-

I see this now includes a 20% gratuity on the package, so even though the package itself is free, I have to pay $19.80 per day, which for a 9-day cruise is $178.20, per person, so $356.40 for our cabin (yikes!). Is that right? Also - when do I pay it? Was this paid in the markup that I paid to participate in “free at sea”, included in the pre-paid gratuities I’m able to do through the website, or is it tacked into my onboard bill only?

Specialty Dining Package-

Same question re: gratuity - when/where do I pay the 20% for this one? Also, I know that I have to wait until 90 days out from my cruise to make the reservations, but at that time I can call them and make the reservations using the dining package instead of having to pay it again if I book through the website, yes? And I’m able to make that phone reservation if I’m traveling with another couple who has the same package, and we want a table of four together, I assume I just need their names/cabin number?

Excursion package - 

I’ve read that this is also something I can book directly via the phone and they’ll take the excursion credit at that time, and I just have to pay the difference, correct? Again, if we’re traveling with another couple also with this perk, can I add the shore excursion to their reservation like with the restaurants, or will they have to call themselves on this one?

Thanks in advance!

The beverage and dining package gratuities are included in your cruise fare (automatically added when you added the promos to your booking). Payment is due with your final payment. 

Dining reservations can now be made 120 (midnight EST) before your cruise (I think 130 days if in the Haven - not sure on that). You can book online for as many people in your party (well, I think the limit may be 8?). If you have 3 dinners, the first three you reserve won’t charge you online (since you have the package). If you want to go an additional night, make reservations for an ala carte restaurant last and then you can’t pay until your are dining (and have ordered food). 

I havent used the excursion credit before, so I will let someone else answer that one. 

7 hours ago, chloe173 said:

I’m going to be sailing the 9-day Baltic capitals cruise on the NCL Getaway in August. It seems like the Free-at-Sea promo options we chose when we booked have changed a lot since I last used NCL though. Can you all make sure I know how to use these correctly?

I see this now includes a 20% gratuity on the package, so even though the package itself is free, I have to pay $19.80 per day, which for a 9-day cruise is $178.20, per person, so $356.40 for our cabin (yikes!). Is that right? Also - when do I pay it? Was this paid in the markup that I paid to participate in “free at sea”, included in the pre-paid gratuities I’m able to do through the website, or is it tacked into my onboard bill only?

Same question re: gratuity - when/where do I pay the 20% for this one? Also, I know that I have to wait until 90 days out from my cruise to make the reservations, but at that time I can call them and make the reservations using the dining package instead of having to pay it again if I book through the website, yes? And I’m able to make that phone reservation if I’m traveling with another couple who has the same package, and we want a table of four together, I assume I just need their names/cabin number?

Excursion package - 

I’ve read that this is also something I can book directly via the phone and they’ll take the excursion credit at that time, and I just have to pay the difference, correct? Again, if we’re traveling with another couple also with this perk, can I add the shore excursion to their reservation like with the restaurants, or will they have to call themselves on this one?

Thanks in advance!

you are spot on for excursions.  Call and they will make the reservation without any charge.  when you get in they will add the price to your onboard bill and credit you the $50.

22 minutes ago, Speasda said:

you are spot on for excursions.  Call and they will make the reservation without any charge.  when you get in they will add the price to your onboard bill and credit you the $50.

Correct. Except I will add you don't get the $50 credit until *after* you take each excursion.

Edited by Aprille
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mnventure said:

The beverage and dining package gratuities are included in your cruise fare (automatically added when you added the promos to your booking).

Awesome! That means I was already planning on paying that, lol.

10 hours ago, mnventure said:

Dining reservations can now be made 120 (midnight EST) before your cruise

Ok, that's good to know. 

10 hours ago, mnventure said:

If you have 3 dinners,

How do I know how many I have? It's a 9-day cruise, so I had read something older that said that meant 4 dinners. Is that still valid?

Thanks so much for your help!

2 hours ago, Speasda said:

Awesome - do you happen to know if I'm also able to book the excursion this way for the other couple I'm travelling with, and if so, what sort of info from their booking I'll need?

I don't know if you can book the excursion for someone else.  I wonder if NCL allows it as you "could" be obligating some other passenger to charges - how do they know for sure your friends have agreed to it? 

Perhaps you could book extras on your room and then they could be transferred over once on board?  Never tried that before and we all know it really depends on which customer service rep you get....

37 minutes ago, chloe173 said:

Awesome! That means I was already planning on paying that, lol.

Ok, that's good to know. 

How do I know how many I have? It's a 9-day cruise, so I had read something older that said that meant 4 dinners. Is that still valid?

Thanks so much for your help!

You can look at the PDF confirmation emailed to you when you booked - under the payment section is a section called “Add-ons” and will say 2 x 3 Meal Specialty Dining package” (or 4, if you got 4). It may also be in your MyNCL. 

3 minutes ago, mnventure said:

You can look at the PDF confirmation emailed to you when you booked - under the payment section is a section called “Add-ons” and will say 2 x 3 Meal Specialty Dining package” (or 4, if you got 4). It may also be in your MyNCL. 

Hmmmm....I booked through a travel agency online, so no PDF for me. On MyNCL, it shows 

"Specialty Dining Package

Dining Package - Promo"

but that's it. I may have to call my travel agency. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, chloe173 said:

Hmmmm....I booked through a travel agency online, so no PDF for me. On MyNCL, it shows 

"Specialty Dining Package

Dining Package - Promo"

but that's it. I may have to call my travel agency. Thanks again!

Ask for an Amentities confirmation from NCL. (I think that’s what it’s called). 

• Like 1

Not sure if you can book reservations for shore excursions for your friends or not but if you can you will need their names, reservation number, and probably their Latitude numbers so they can subtract the latitude discount from their total amount due. You cannot book for them if they do not have the shore excursion credit because you would need their credit card number to pay immediately for their excursions. The number to call to reserve shore excursions is 1-866-625-1167. They are open M-F 9am-9pm ET.

20 hours ago, chloe173 said:

The UBP gratuities were paid as part of your pre cruise payments. You have nothing to pay on the ship , unless the local ports some tax on your drinks, but that is usually a small amount, and doesn't usually happen except in Spain.

Same as above. You will not need to pay until you are on board, and since you have the dining package, you will not pay anything. The service charge was paid with your fare.

Excursion package - 

Call anad book these before you leave. You will pay on board, and get the credit then.

Thanks in advance!

Have a fun cruise.

11 hours ago, chloe173 said:

According to the current promotion terms and conditions, for 9-10 night cruises, you will receive a 4 dinner package.