First Timers to Cuba - need advice

jdemps

I'm looking at FEB or March 2020 to do a 5 day to Cuba from FT Lauderdale.  I don't see any longer cruises available for Cuba but would do a longer one if available on Carnival.

Is FEB or March better for cooler, less humid weather?

What is the process for exploring on your own?  The cruise excursions waste a lot of time herding people on and off busses so we prefer to hop in a cab and go on tours locally.  I understand Cuba is a little different so just looking for tour companies or excursions that explore the beauty, cars, food, cigars, some history but not history intensive. 

Are you able to explore any areas on your own as US citizens?  Like stroll around markets and have great food?

Is getting off the ship a hassle if you don't book a ship excursion?  We typically have a suite or faster to the fun so is there any perk for those guests with Cuba?

Thank you for your help! 

Check out the Cuba board. LOTS of valuable information, and most of the questions that you have are addressed multiple times.

We chose Royal Caribbean for our cruise to Cuba simply because it was what fit our days off. We were in Havana overnight and did things on our own. We booked a classic car tour of Havana which we booked directly on their website. The rest of the time, we explored on our own, and had dinner and lunch at local restaurants. It all worked out great.

Main thing to keep in mind is to avoid businesses and establishments that are operated and/or benefit the Cuban regime. There’s a full list online. 

Cuba is definitely very different than the rest of Caribbean destinations, but it’s an absolutely mesmerizing place. Go with an open mind and you’ll have a wonderful time! 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

We are visiting Cuba in Feb with Viking Ocean on a 7 night cruise.  FEB/MARCH is typically very good weather in the Caribbean ( not rainy season and not excruciatingly hot and humid) and Cuba should be no different.

There is a lot of info and recommendations for private tours on this forum.   We  booked all private and also plan to go out on our own, even though all the lines attempt to strong arm passengers into their overpriced tours.

I will post info and review when we return.

• 4 weeks later...

1. February would probably be your best bet for a little bit cooler and less humid weather, but either month won’t be terrible. 

2. We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise. They first let the people off who had excursions booked through them and then the ones who had private/no excursions off. We waited maybe 45 minutes to get off. It wasn’t a hassle per se, but we had booked a tour starting at 9:00 a.m., and ended up being about 30 minutes late, so if you book a tour, give yourself plenty of time to get off and through customs. Our tour guide was awesome though, and we got our full tour. 

3. After our tour, we walked around for a bit on our own and stopped at a restaurant and some shops. From what I’ve read, most tours will meet you in be square across from the cruise terminal. You can definitely explore on your own. 

4. We used I Love Cuba Photo Tours, and our guide Damian was awesome. You can let them know what you’re wanting to see and do, and they will customize the tour for you. Plus, if you bring in SD card, they will take all the pictures with their camera so you don’t have to worry about that. We did a 4-hour tour and have great 250+ pictures. 

Edited by Flia