Haven vs Celebrity Suite. Apples to Oranges

Maya1234

I posted this on the Celebrity board also. Thought those who just go to this board would  like to see. This is a pluses and minuses review of two cruises we’ve taken in the last few months. This is a wholly “unfair” comparison because we were on a large brand new NCL Ship (Bliss) andsmallish older Celebrity Ship (infinity) but here goes anyway. 

Rooms

We were in an NCL penthouse suite. The room was very nice. The bathroom not huge but very nice. The King bed was wonderful and the bedding amazing.  Normal non ship feeling toilet and tub with well placed grab bars. 

We were in an Royal Suite on the Infinity. Room was huge and very well kept up. Not showing age at all. The bed situation thought left a bit to be desired. My god it was small. We had to have it split and even then not very comfy. The bedding wasn’t great. The bathroom was huge and very pretty and clean but the toilet was horrible. I understand that in small rooms they need these tiny unconfortable toilets, but why in this large bathroom?!! Also on a ship, grab bars in the shower seem essential. Why not have them? 

Winner. Bliss based on bed and bathroom practically. 

Elevators 

This is hands down winner to the Infinity. Probably a small ship vs large ship thing. But it’s hard to sell the Haven as a luxury experience without dedicated elevators. The wait at elevators really detracted from the experience. Never waited more than a minute or two on the Infinity. 

Pools/ Sundeck/ Solarium. 

Its hard to beat having a private sundeck on the Bliss but the Infinity although very crowded was admiringly proactive in making room for more guests. After the first day they added chairs to an area that was empty before. The pool area just seemed more fun on the Infinity. This is a toss up. 

Private Dining. 

The staff at the Haven was better at not overly formal  but wonderful service. The Infinity felt a bit stuffy. Also didn’t love the fact that there were so few women servers. Felt very old fashioned. But the Infinity won hands down for food. Better quality and more variety since they gave us main dining room menu too every night. Plus menu changed nightly. We did though like that Haven was available for lunch even on shore days. Bliss Haven wins for service. Infinity for food. 

Specialty dining. 

Not impressed with any on the Bliss. We loved The Petite Chef at Qsine. We thought we’d find it hokey but didn’t. And food was excellent! 

Infinity wins. 

Suite Staff 

Both our butler and steward were excellent on both ships. Concierge ( Adrian) on Bliss  was better than on Infinity (Wim). I think Wim was new to the ship and seemed overwhelmed though he was very very nice. Bliss wins on this. Adrian was amazing. 

Finally there really was something great about having a dedicated Haven area. I woukd choose a ship with a private suite area over one without any day.

Entertainment 

Not even a close call. Bliss all the way. Excellent professional entertainment. Infinity was pretty horrible. 

Edited by Maya1234

25 minutes ago, Maya1234 said:

I woukd choose a ship with a private suite area over one without any day. 

Have you looked at the Retreat on Celebrity EDGE? It has a "ship within a ship" concept much like the Haven. Actually, Celebrity is moving towards the concept as the fleet is refurbished.

The Millennium class ships are pushing 20 years of age and, while they have undergone some upgrades and facelifts, the bathrooms were not included.  Several things you didn't mention about the Royal suite was the balcony hot tub, the refrigerated being restocked with booze each day gratis, and the full size dinning room table.  Infinity's Royal suite is much larger than NCL's Penthouse suite.  Another amenity suite passengers on X enjoy is Michael's Club.  The free booze you get there eliminates the need to purchase a beverage package.

I agree with you that X's special restaurant for suite passengers is better than the Haven's restaurant.  At X's you can order off either the specialty restaurant's or MDR's  menu.  Given the distance from Haven's restaurant kitchen and the MDR's kitchen, you can't order from both menus on NCL. 

I think the boarding experience for NCL suite and Haven passengers excels over X's.

When we book our next cruise with X it will be in the Retreat....it will be interesting to compare it with Haven.

34 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

Given the distance from Haven's restaurant kitchen and the MDR's kitchen, you can't order from both menus on NCL. 

You can. Any food item that is being served on the ship can be brought to the Haven restaurant.

It takes time so it's best to arrange it ahead of time.

You are right about the hot tub. And the alcohol. But we aren’t big drinkers so it wasn’t really relevant. And we are not hot tub people either. But you are right. Nice perks. We actually found the X boarding process for the Suites even  better than the Haven process 

The problem with the Haven courtyard is that the solarium on Celebrity is better in almost every way. And it's adults only vs a preschool on NCL. And you don't have to pay for a suite to access it. 

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:31 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

That's a first. Usually, either the butler or maitre d' will handle the request.

Yup....our requests had always been honored in the past, but last time was a no-go.  Asked about it and was told the decision was left up to the maître d'.  I asked him about it and he told me the two kitchens were too far apart.