Boarding

CruiserTeri

5 hours ago, CruiserTeri said:

Carnival Magic, From Fort Lauderdale,  going to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Amber Cove.  I have never been on a cruise that left port so late.

Yes, that's strange. Boarding usually starts 11:30 - 12:30. You might want to call Carnival and see if they can give you an explanation.

Looks like you are on the May 5 cruise with this itinerary:

https://www.icruise.com/itineraries/6-night-eastern-caribbean-from-fort-lauderdale-cruise_carnival-magic_5-5-2019.html

Again, don't know why they would leave that late unless some work is being done or they need to kill some time to get to Half Moon Cay at 8:00am on the 7th. Give Carnival a call.

• Thanks 1

The reason the ship is boarding late is because the Magic is debarking in Miami that morning, then it has to sail to Ft Lauderdale afterwards for its first cruise out of its new home port. You are just lucky to be on this first cruise, and obviously there are logistics involved that require a late sail away. 

In any case, you will know what time you can arrive at port when you chose your check in time in your Cruise Manager. Also, your boarding documents will indicate the final boarding time. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by bakersdozen12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To the OP, just be patient on embarkation day since there are a lot of logistics involved with the ship moving from one port to another. Personally I would not book a cruise on a ship that is changing ports, but I assume that was something you were not aware of based on your original post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never even noticed it.  I was looking at several cruises at the time and trying to pick one that was going to ports I hadnt been to and never noticed the time.  I did figure out this afternoon why it was leaving so late and I tried to change cruises because I do not feel like this is really a 6 day cruise as advertised but it will cost me $200 to change cruises so going to have to stay with this one. 

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruiserTeri said:

I never even noticed it.  I was looking at several cruises at the time and trying to pick one that was going to ports I hadnt been to and never noticed the time.  I did figure out this afternoon why it was leaving so late and I tried to change cruises because I do not feel like this is really a 6 day cruise as advertised but it will cost me $200 to change cruises so going to have to stay with this one. 

Thanks for your help.

I'm sure the cruise will still be fine, but this all adds a little perspective to what's going on.  You could think of it differently - a very unique once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Usually boarding begins 4-5 hours before the ship sails, so you could still potentially be aboard by 4pm or maybe earlier.  Life aboard the ship should be more or less as usual but the checkin at the new port might go smoothly or completely haywire.  That could be why they are allowing more time.

Since this is a special circumstance I hope you will come back afterward and tell us how it worked out.  It would be of interest to others.

• Like 1