Best Miami Hotels for a 2 day pre cruise stay

BellaCaps

Hello!  

This June will be my 2nd cruise and first one out of the Port of Miami.  I have never been outside of the airport in Miami, and this is my 40th birthday cruise.  Our cruise leaves on a Monday and we wanted to fly into Miami on Saturday and hit up some restaurants/pubs and maybe take a cab to South Beach.  The people we are cruising with are driving from Orlando on Sunday and staying at the Red Roof Inn.  Looking at the map that looks a little far if we plan on spending a day in Miami.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some relatively affordable hotels closer to the Port or even South Beach?

Has anyone stayed at the Red Roof Inn?  Would it be ok for a 2 night stay or is it a better one-and-done hotel?  I do not need a 4 or 5 star hotel, just somewhere decently priced (looking at trying not to spend no more than $140 a night - and that is on the high end) and relatively close to downtown, if not in downtown, and in a safe area.  We do not need to worry about parking as we are not renting a car.  We also don't want to stay too far away from downtown where a cab/lyft will erase the savings that we would get from staying further away.

Thanks for any help!  Happy cruising to all.  🙂

Don't stay at any hotel out near the MIA airport for 2-days - the area is not fun/attractive and you'll spend your savings on cabs and Uber.

Check out the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell - downtown, much closer to POM than the red Roof, and with lots of local dining/nightlife options within stumbling distance.  Prices in June should be reasonable. 

Happy 40th birthday - 40 was a long time ago for me :classic_blush:  Have a great cruise!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Check out the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell - downtown

I will happily second John's suggestion. We stayed three nights pre-cruise at this hotel very recently based on recommendations on this board and we were not disappointed. The location is great and a decent breakfast is included in the price.

If you are not already a Hilton Honors member I would suggest signing up before you book as that will give you access to member rates, which can be a bit cheaper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

Don't stay at any hotel out near the MIA airport for 2-days - the area is not fun/attractive and you'll spend your savings on cabs and Uber.

Check out the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell - downtown, much closer to POM than the red Roof, and with lots of local dining/nightlife options within stumbling distance.  Prices in June should be reasonable. 

Happy 40th birthday - 40 was a long time ago for me :classic_blush:  Have a great cruise!!

Thanks for the advice!  And...I'm from Northern VA/DC as well!  Will be flying in from DCA.  

And thanks for the birthday wishes.  It's going to be a rough one but being on a cruise ship will make it easier.  😉 

Another option is the Doubletree, with some rooms offering a view of the port, and the hotel has an amazing pool.  Quieter part of downtown Miami, but still many dining options nearby or you can Uber for a few $ to just about anywhere in Miami or SB  There is a Marriott next to the Doubletree - they share the parking garage - in case you are not chasing Hilton points.

June in Miami you should get good prices. Stay either in Miami Beach or Downtown/Brickell area. Hampton Inn Brickell is a very good location and extremely popular with great reviews for pre-cruise hotel. A few other lower priced options are YVE Hotel, and Holiday Inn Port Miami. 

Just go online and price it out. I would not be surprised if you find some great deals in June, especially if it is late June.