Excursions for Elderly in India and Thailand

DavTravel21

I am a senior and am having problems walking, I go slowly, but can get by with touring on our own in cities where there are places to sit down (or at least lean on a wall) somewhat frequently.  I am not in a wheel chair, but during the past year have started using a cane on excursions although not elsewhere.

We like to go to interesting places, so I am seriously considering a (primarily) Asia cruise for the family (including my wife and two adult children) which has stops in Penang Malaysia, Phuket Thailand, Goa (Mormugao) India, Mumbai India, and Muscat Oman.  In European cities and similar ones elsewhere, we have either taken Rick Steves suggested tours (Europe) on our own, stopping as necessary, or hired private guides (often with drivers) who understand and accommodate my limitations.  I am supposed to avoid rough surfaces, but can do some with caustion. I am OK doing stairs that have handrails and can often go up and down facing sideways on those that don't.

(We now tend to avoid the bus based ship sponsored excursions because I have trouble keeping up with the guides, so that I can see and hear, and we find that a lot of extra time is taken up with everyone getting on and off the buses and less interesting places can be visited than we can get to on a private tour.)

. It would be much appreciated if people using cruise critic can give me comments on experiences and observations regarding the practicality of any or all of these stops for me in terms of getting around. Thanks for any advice that you can provide to help me make a decision about this cruise versus other possibly less demanding possibilities

I will be in Phuket in February as part of my Oceania cruise. Have booked a private excursion for 10. Will post afterwards how it went. I had 2 knee replacements and am very careful walking. All on our excursion are "seniors"

As there are four of you, it sounds as if a private tour (which you mention you have done before) which can cater to your needs and go at a slower pace might suit you better than any group tours, or even DIY tours. DIY tours can be difficult when trying to cross streets, navigate stairs and walking on rougher/uneven surfaces, which are easily found in many countries, not only the ones you are considering.

If you go the DIY route could you consider using a folding rollator?  It might be more stable than a single cane, and if you have one of the ones which has a seat pad, would give you the option to sit when you need to.

Edited by edinburgher

Thanks for the suggestions.  I wonder if moving so slowly won't attract a lot of attention from people looking for handouts.  One of my concerns, perhaps from watching a documentary, is being harrassed while trying to be a tourist.

The use of a rollator is excellant advice, it will give you more secure feeling and you take your seat with you.

Don't worry about being harrassed when moving slowly, when a begger or shop keeper approaches just smile and shake your head, they will smile back and go onto the next person.

Private tours are the way to go, as they can be tailed to meet your requirements.

DW and I and her rollator have done, Muscat, Mumbai, Goa and Phuket and never had a problem either with private tour operator, taxis or public transport. Infact I find people in such places have a lot respect and understanding for people with disabilities than in our own "civilise" world.

Our motto is "do it while you still can".

This was most helpful.  It seems as if I would be able to do most city things, although there were interesting cave tours that might be a problem, can't be sure.  I have written to my family that it appears as if we can proceed.  The cruise is still a long way off and I have to count on no (signficant) further deterioration.

Thanks.  This is really promising.  At this point, I can take some of the stairs, but my understanding is that there are a lot of them on this excursion and it is a long way.  Having assistance like this would allow me to go with my family.

One review that I read was that they went on a full day tour that included this excursion and that it lasted 11 hours.  Sounds exhausting.  Did you do that tour?

We had an overnight in Mumbai, on the first day we had planned with two other couples a 10 hour tour. Each couple prioritised their list of thing to do and see and these lists were combined into one and agreed with the tour operator, also agreed that anyone could leave the tour if it was too much (taxi backto the ship). We had also planned a two hour Indian lunch to break up the day. It went very well, we only dropped 1 item from our list.

Next day we went to Elephant Island (glad we did), when we got back we still had some time so we did the item we missed on the first day.

The older and less mobile we get the less we pack into a day tour, after all it is a holiday so why get stressed out.

7 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

We had an overnight in Mumbai, on the first day we had planned with two other couples a 10 hour tour. Each couple prioritised their list of thing to do and see and these lists were combined into one and agreed with the tour operator, also agreed that anyone could leave the tour if it was too much (taxi backto the ship). We had also planned a two hour Indian lunch to break up the day. It went very well, we only dropped 1 item from our list.

Next day we went to Elephant Island (glad we did), when we got back we still had some time so we did the item we missed on the first day.

The older and less mobile we get the less we pack into a day tour, after all it is a holiday so why get stressed out.

Did you actually stay in Mumbai overnight or did you go back to the ship?  I like to sleep on the ship where I am confident of the quality of the beds (and I am sure to have hypo-allergenic pillows), but don't know how much time that adds to the excursion.

Did the vehicle provided have a lot of leg room for passengers?  Our adult children are bigger than we are.  We recently traveled in South America and had to specify with the people arranging the tour at each stop what the vehicle would be and the configuration of the seats in order to get enough leg room for everyone.  It did work out.  Most companies had a version of the Hyundai H1, which had movable seats.

3 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

We overnighted on the ship.

We had a van for 14 passengers for the six of us, plenty of room even to move side to side to see different views.

Had a great time and saw everything we wanted too.

3 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

We overnighted on the ship.

We had a van for 14 passengers for the six of us, plenty of room even to move side to side to see different views.

Had a great time and saw everything we wanted too.

Seems like exactly what we would want to do.  I am pleased to learn that such a large van would be OK in the streets of Mumbai. 

• 6 months later...
On 1/20/2019 at 9:10 AM, G.M.T. said:

GMT

Which tour operator did you use in Mumbai?  My cruise isn't for 18 months but I'm itching to get started with research for it.

39 minutes ago, jantoby said:

GMT

Which tour operator did you use in Mumbai?  My cruise isn't for 18 months but I'm itching to get started with research for it.

Jantoby, we used Mumbai Magic, we had excellent communications with Deepa Krishnan, she took care of us above and beyond. The guide (very knowledgeable) and driver were always on time. We had a great time. Mumbai Magic can also arrange excursions in other ports and place in India.

http://www.mumbaimagic.com/ 

If you need more information, just ask.

On 8/2/2019 at 7:17 PM, G.M.T. said:

Jantoby, we used Mumbai Magic, we had excellent communications with Deepa Krishnan, she took care of us above and beyond. The guide (very knowledgeable) and driver were always on time. We had a great time. Mumbai Magic can also arrange excursions in other ports and place in India.

http://www.mumbaimagic.com/ 

If you need more information, just ask.

Thanks, GMT.  They sound very promising.  Thanks for the recommendation.