Escape @ Costa Maya, notified of Norovirus per CDC guidelines

mking8288

Hola n good morning, just strictly heads up and FYI, debated whether to do this separate post on it's own, separate from the Semi-L-Live thread. Fellow cruisers are still calm about this.

Nothing to panic or truly worry about it, best practices being done n hopefully everyone follow & keep things under control. I will continue to post my pix review & update on my review-blog, discussion on Norovirus might be worth staying here as it can get debated & sidetrack the review. Other pax onboard n fellow CC might be posting & add to this.  

It's currently raining hard in the port so we are adjusting to our Plan C.  Again, stay calm ... Washy Washy and more. If for some reasons, CC site is down, watch for urgent posts on Twitter, "cpn8288".

Collage 2019-01-14 19_41_53.jpg

IMG_20190114_162136609.jpg

17 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Hola n good morning, just strictly heads up and FYI, debated whether to do this separate post on it's own, separate from the Semi-L-Live thread. Fellow cruisers are still calm about this.

Nothing to panic or truly worry about it, best practices being done n hopefully everyone follow & keep things under control. I will continue to post my pix review & update on my review-blog, discussion on Norovirus might be worth staying here as it can get debated & sidetrack the review. Other pax onboard n fellow CC might be posting & add to this.  

It's currently raining hard in the port so we are adjusting to our Plan C.  Again, stay calm ... Washy Washy and more. If for some reasons, CC site is down, watch for urgent posts on Twitter, "cpn8288".

Collage 2019-01-14 19_41_53.jpg

IMG_20190114_162136609.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I saw this was a big problem on the Oasis last week, so I prepared and purchased Clorox Bleach Free hand sanitizer (one of a few that kill Noro), Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide wipes, and spray, all which kill Norovirus. Hopefully this and diligent hand washing will prevent an outbreak. Glad the staff are being pro-active about this. Thanks for the update 🙂 Washy Washy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cathi007, get the words out n stay calm. That's my message as a seasoned cruiser. Everyone going into the buffet are asked to wash hands before being sprayed on the hands, extra measure. Incubation can take up to 2 or 3 days for symptoms to appear. But, clearly the # of suspected cases involving pax & crew reached 2"% threshold for reporting and for Captain to officially inform passengers yesterday as we get ready to leave Harvest Caye. 

Relax, we aren't too worry, being alerted n on guard, a good thing. Might get an update this morning from the bridge command.

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Cathi007, get the words out n stay calm. That's my message as a seasoned cruiser. Everyone going into the buffet are asked to wash hands before being sprayed on the hands, extra measure. Incubation can take up to 2 or 3 days for symptoms to appear. But, clearly the # of suspected cases involving pax & crew reached 2"% threshold for reporting and for Captain to officially inform passengers yesterday as we get ready to leave Harvest Caye. 

Relax, we aren't too worry, being alerted n on guard, a good thing. Might get an update this morning from the bridge command.

Thanks, I will be a little more careful, as we are sailing with a cancer patient and 2 children 3, 14 months. Hopefully people will be diligent about washing their hands, that is the number on defense against Noro. I am a teacher, so I am around this kind of stuff all of the time. Thanks for keeping us up to date 🙂

Just a clarification, but every cruise has to report to the CDC before it returns to the US, whether it had any GI illness or not.  The report that mking mentions is the additional report required when the number of cases reaches 2% of pax or crew.  And, again, you will not see this listed on the CDC website until a further additional report is made if the level reaches 3%.

And, Cathi, again, use what you feel comfortable with, but know that while the EPA certifies disinfectant ingredients for surfaces, hand sanitizers fall under the FDA, and to date no hand sanitizer ingredient has been classified by the FDA as "Generally Regarded as Safe and Effective"  (GRASE I) against noro.  To date, to the best of my knowledge, all sanitizer ingredients are listed as being GRASE II, meaning the FDA requires more data to prove the ingredient's safety and effectiveness.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Just a clarification, but every cruise has to report to the CDC before it returns to the US, whether it had any GI illness or not.  The report that mking mentions is the additional report required when the number of cases reaches 2% of pax or crew.  And, again, you will not see this listed on the CDC website until a further additional report is made if the level reaches 3%.

And, Cathi, again, use what you feel comfortable with, but know that while the EPA certifies disinfectant ingredients for surfaces, hand sanitizers fall under the FDA, and to date no hand sanitizer ingredient has been classified by the FDA as "Generally Regarded as Safe and Effective"  (GRASE I) against noro.  To date, to the best of my knowledge, all sanitizer ingredients are listed as being GRASE II, meaning the FDA requires more data to prove the ingredient's safety and effectiveness.

Thanks, we will be washing our hands all the time. 

Cheng, thank ... I respect, trust & defer to your wealth of knowledge to explain on what should or might be happening, possibly later on. Guests are asked to contact the medical center for advice while staying in their cabin, if they experience symptoms, etc. 

Being on Deck 13 Fwd, can't help but noticed a busier than usual foot traffic @ medical center during the past week, the 2 Code Alpha aside.

Cathi, I will post & tweet out if necessary of any last minute "alerts" to help folks on your Roll Call to better plan their timing to Pier 88, I won't be surprised that we will come in earlier overnight ... 

Ship life on this cruise goes on, just a bit slower & longer line to get into the dining venue. Soap, running water to wash & drying, etc are essential if folks just do it, before meals & after restrooms, etc.

mking8288 / Henry

IMG_20190115_122527238.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was on this sailing too. First time experiencing outbreak protocols in 10 cruises. 

Interesting to see first level in buffet of removing cutlery packs and condiments from tables, and then progressing to 2nd level of having staff serve all buffet food, plates, bowls, cutlery etc, and drinks. 

It definitely affected the cruise for our family, though I don't blame NCL at all for their response. It seemed thorough and professional. Special credit to the dining room hosts and hostesses who had to deal with a few guests who didn't quite play along with the extra washings and caused immature stinks. 

Shame on those people, though it is a relief that the vast majority just rolled with the situation.