Is Livorno worth a visit?

lackcreativity

I am considering a cruise itinerary that has an overnight in Livorno, with the opportunity for shore excursions on two days. We have been on land based tours of Italy and have been to Florence twice, and Lucca, Pisa, San Gimignano, and Cinque Terre. There is an excursion to Greve that I would do one day, but for the second day I wonder is Livorno worth a visit? Is transportation available? Could we spend a few hours there on our own?

Several years ago we did a big family cruise, Livorno came after stops at Naples and Rome, long days in blazing sun and 85 - 90 degree heat.  About half of the family balked at this point and decided to stay near the ship.

They had a great day visiting the Fortezza Vecchia (old fort) right at the port and then went to the Venezia Nuova part of Livorno to walk around and have lunch.

https://www.livornonow.com/fortezza-vecchia

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187897-d5984463-Reviews-Venezia_Nuova-Livorno_Province_of_Livorno_Tuscany.html

We stayed in town on our last visit as we too had already explored the area.

We did some online research, bought a very inexpensive Livorno Card and used it for free bus rides and entrances to different sights.  Also walked around the older part of town and the market.

Of the things we did, I can recommend the Museo Civico Giovanni Fattori (read TA reviews, not quite what the name suggests) and a bus ride to the Sanctuary at Montenero. The bus terminates next to the funicular which takes you up for wonderful views and you can visit the buildings too. Avoid the Sanctuary at a weekend and if the weather is cloudy.

Ideas and suggestions for these two and others on Tripadvisor/Livorno, and practical info from tourist info Livorno sites  including livornonow.

Edited by edinburgher