Bringing someone else's kid - rules, paperwork

D4

We're considering bringing our daughter's 20 year old friend on our next cruise. I called Carnival to find out what age is considered a minor, because I'm sure I would need a notarized permission letter signed by both parents approving and probably a temporary power of attorney for health care if 20 is a minor.

Of course the first Carnival rep I talked to said she thought under 18 was a minor and the second rep I called said probably under 21. So I can't get a clear answer from them. Their website just says what you need to take a minor, but it doesn't define minor.

Do any of you know? Also, are there any other things I'd need? I'd purchase trip insurance for us and the friend. And I'd pay for the friend to get a passport in advance. (We don't leave the USA without them.)

Took a friend with me and the family on a cruise back in 2000, my friend was under 18 at the time and we had to have a waiver signed by her parents stayin it was ok for her to come along with us. That was it, no other hassles just one little piece of paper with one parents signature.

So since the friend you are considering taking is 20 I don't see why you would have any problems. The Carnival ships seem to follow the states rules with drinking and gambling so I'd assume they would follow the same minor laws as well.

Just remember you have to have someone 25 or older in the room with them on a Carnival ship.

Hope that helps!

When we've brought our kids friends, the only time we needed a notarized letter was when they were under the age of 18. Once they reached the age of 18, they were no longer considered a child. This was on Carnival, and I'm assuming it's the same with all the cruiselines.

The very first cruise I went on it was my mom with 4 teenagers, only two of which were hers. My friend and my little brothers friend just had to have their birth certificates and that is pretty much it. Of course now they would probably have to have a passport since I think pretty much everyone does.

I always take other people's minor children with our group. Under 21, you need the waiver. I also get a notarized letter stating that I have permission to take the child out of the country, and that I have the power to get medical attention if necessary. Very easy to do, have never needed it, but read on these boards quite awhile ago the nightmare someone went through when a child they were with got injured. Thanks, Sue

I would have the waiver with me even though the person is over 18, especially if you will be visiting Mexico. Just to cover my butt. It's not Carnival that wants you to have it, it's Mexico. (Just in case you're trying to smuggle somebody into Mexico -- like people often do with their children after bad divorces and stuff like that.) I would also insist on trip insurance that covered any medical expenses that their health insurance won't cover out of the country. Make sure you have copies of all that paperwork as well as their health insurance information. You might think this is overkill, but when I take my girls on a cruise (they are 6 and 13 right now), I always make sure I have a VERY current Child Identification Kit completed on them just in case the unthinkable happens.

If you go overprepared, you will be more likely to be able to relax on the trip! Have fun!

I believe that for the reasons that you are asking in most places over the age of 18 is considered an adult. If in doubt check with the places you are going but in this country an 18 year old is of legal age, and parental consent is not needed for anything.

I would have the waiver with me even though the person is over 18, especially if you will be visiting Mexico. Just to cover my butt. It's not Carnival that wants you to have it, it's Mexico. (Just in case you're trying to smuggle somebody into Mexico -- like people often do with their children after bad divorces and stuff like that.) I would also insist on trip insurance that covered any medical expenses that their health insurance won't cover out of the country. Make sure you have copies of all that paperwork as well as their health insurance information. You might think this is overkill, but when I take my girls on a cruise (they are 6 and 13 right now), I always make sure I have a VERY current Child Identification Kit completed on them just in case the unthinkable happens.

If you go overprepared, you will be more likely to be able to relax on the trip! Have fun!

We are talking about an adult not a child.

We are talking about an adult not a child.

I understand that. And your point?

All I am telling her is that being overprepared is not a bad thing. Do think any of what I suggested is a bad idea? If someone in your party came up missing, would you not want recent information on them to help authorities look for him/her?

Archived