Viking Ocean Cruise Automatic Gratuity

duquephart

5 minutes ago, Rawmac said:

Dauntless, my information comes from actually being on Viking River cruises (plural) and Viking Ocean cruises (plural).  The "director" to which I refer on my river cruises was the main man on board for all excursions and entertainment activities, and ranked far above your "tour guide".  Knowing the VO practice, I was very surprised that the river "director" was blatantly and repeatedly touting for tips as our cruise neared its end.

That may have been your experience, things happen(You might have read about the piano player on Viking Oceans that was trying to shame people into paying for their CD, but it is not their 'policy'.

1 hour ago, Dauntless said:

That may have been your experience, things happen(You might have read about the piano player on Viking Oceans that was trying to shame people into paying for their CD, but it is not their 'policy'.

Sure the policy tells us what to expect.  But I want to know when they deviate from it.

4 minutes ago, flashfearless said:

My VO cruise offers us the option to tip ahead of time.  It is not an included "fee" that we have to "opt out" of.

4 minutes ago, flashfearless said:

My VO cruise offers us the option to tip ahead of time.  It is not an included "fee" that we have to "opt out" of.

Most cruise lines have a suggested daily tip.  This tip can be adjusted or dismissed if you choose.  Before you 'opt out', do your research.  If you don't opt out, it will be added to your bill when you disembark.  The cruise line is giving you the option to pay it ahead of time if you wish, thus making your bill smaller when it's time to pay up.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:43 AM, zitsky said:

https://www.myvikingjourney.com/beforeyougo/prepaidgratuities

The information comes from My Viking Journey.  As such it is not specific to river or ocean.  Therefore I would say it is most certainly on topic. Please explain why it is not.

Thanks.

Since you asked me to explain.  I'm not trying to convince you, just explain.  Let's put it in another perspective that might be easier to understand my logic.  Think of Viking as a supermarket that has many things to offer and you are making choices.  If you are looking for a broom in the frozen food dept, you probably won't find it.  That's because you are in a department of the store that does not relate to what you are looking for.   As for MVJ, since I don't have a cruise to book or go on I don't have access right now.

But this is something they use for both their main products and has all the information but just like a tax form, not every line concerns you, so not every line is filled.  Some things are just N/A to you.  Not wrong, just applying certain information to the wrong topic.  I think you mentioned you are a detail person but sometimes we major in the minors for so long you we loose sight of what the destination was.  Again, not trying to keep an argument or debate going, just replying to this response. 

On 2/8/2019 at 12:14 PM, zitsky said:

We have to believe these companies when they tell us who gets the tips.  What if they are lying?  We can't confirm where the money goes.  And they want extra for cruise director, tour guides etc.

We have made a life long friend that worked on Rivers and then went to Ocean.  We became so close that she calls us papa and mama and then our first names behind it.  We video chat all the time.   Let me put your mind at ease, Viking is NOT lying and to imply that is absurd.