Livorno Port Shuttle

Coaster 19

We  did it with the tour that Viking was offering just because we didn't want the hassle of dealing with getting to and from the train stations on either end. We found that most of what we wanted to see and do in Lucca could be done in the time allotted (however, we did not try to walk the walls of the city because it was raining off and on)

But, you asked about the shuttle and how to get to the train  station. We did this a year ago. The ship's shuttle took us stop in town. There was a taxi rank right there and we shared a cab with some other folks for the ride to the train station.  The shuttle dropped us near the Cathedral on Via Claudio Corgorano, near the Tourist Information, if you are looking for it on a map. It is a 10 minute ride to Livorno Statzione (half an hour or more on foot)--3 kilometers distance.

Train is the best way to get to Lucca. Then take a cab to from the station into the old city. We used the train to get to Florence. Before we went I did some research on the train schedule and found that there were some direct trains and some where you needed to change trains. You can do the same for Lucca. I then wrote on a 3X5 card exactly what I wanted and handed it to the ticket vendor; so much easier than trying to get the details correct in Italian. The same site that shows you the train schedule will help you figure out the right terminology in Italian--round trip, direct, etc. Direct trains, if they are available for where you are headed, might not be as frequent but at least you don't need to worry about not missing the station where you have to change.

OR, if there are still cabs waiting when the shuttle drops you, you can ask the cabbie how much he would charge to take you to Lucca and back.

The cabbies charge a flat fee to go between the dock and the train station, so, try to share a cab. It might be harder to get a cab on the dock but if you can, it is faster than shuttle to town and then cab. Coming home, you might be lucky and find folks who are also heading back to the ship. Flat fee was 25€ when we were there.

Hi Peregrina,

Many thanks for the very prompt and informative reply, you have answered my questions very succinctly. I will follow up on all of your points. Useful you mentioned the Viking tour I have that on our wish list also. Again many thanks! Hope you guys are getting back to normal after the horrendous weather. 😄

Some people on our Viking included tour to Pisa, did the tour then went on to Lucca.  Pisa station is a 20 minute walk from the Campo dei Miracoli,  or you could get a taxi, or go direct to Lucca by taxi about a 30 minute drive. We have taken a taxi from Pisa station to Lucca with another couple because there was quite a wait for the Lucca train. You could then return to Livorno by train.  Taxis are more likely to take you back to the ship at the end of the day, when they know they are not likely to get a longer trip.

We have been to Lucca on many occasions and it is certainly a lovely place.  Well worth the visit.  The station in Lucca is just opposite the old town a few minutes walk.  No taxi required.  Lots of information on the Ports of Call board.

Last summer, since we have been to Florence, Lucca and Pisa several times before, we got a local bus to the lovely seaside town of Castiglioncello.  The bus stop is very close to the shuttle bus stop.  The Tourist Information centre is also at the same place.

It was really a delight and we had a beautiful lunch in a restaurant called L'Occiola overlooking the smaller of the two beaches.  It was really sublime.  Locals and Italian tourists only.  

Hi Mrs Miggins,

Many thanks for you prompt and informative reply! I have wish listed the Viking included tour to Pisa,  your suggestion never entered my head to be honest to go on from that to Lucca. I am all in favour of cunning plans, that most certainly is one. We also  like very much your description of Castiglioncello I will certainly look into that. Again many, many  thanks

3 hours ago, Coaster 19 said:

Hi Peregrina,

Many thanks for the very prompt and informative reply, you have answered my questions very succinctly. I will follow up on all of your points. Useful you mentioned the Viking tour I have that on our wish list also. Again many thanks! Hope you guys are getting back to normal after the horrendous weather. 😄

Yes, today the temps are as high above freezing as they were below freezing last week! But, it is only a temporary reprieve.

We have taken the train to Lucca several times, while staying in Florence.  Most recently, we visited in October on a day trip.  Our trips to Italy (50+) are land based, as the things we most enjoy are experienced when the cities are not filled with day trippers and in the off season.

We take the train and it is a short walk to the city walls from the station - 12-15 minutes.  I personally don't think a taxi is even necessary, but then we are walkers.

Lucca is charming and great to visit.  One of these trips I want to spend more than a day there.

If you like all things truffle there is a wonderful store filled with all sorts of truffle goodies.  We brought a few things home and have enjoyed all of them.

There are also some wonderful restaurants for lunch.  Let me know if you are interested and I will post a couple that we enjoy.

Edited by caviargal
  • Like 1

Thought I might have been mistaken about the walk from the station to the walls of Lucca so checked on Google Maps and they say a 5 minute walk from the station to Porta San Pietro (one of the city gates into the old town).  On three visits we have been on a private tour with the wonderful Paolo Bonetti of www.unforgettabletuscany.com.  We have done his Pisa and Lucca tour including the Villa Torrigiani.  We were the only people there (minibus of 7)  and it was so great to get away from the crowds.  We have also done his San Gimignano countryside and wine tour which was excellent.  We have friends, met on cruise critic, who also recommend this lovely gentleman.

2 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Thought I might have been mistaken about the walk from the station to the walls of Lucca so checked on Google Maps and they say a 5 minute walk from the station to Porta San Pietro (one of the city gates into the old town).  On three visits we have been on a private tour with the wonderful Paolo Bonetti of www.unforgettabletuscany.com.  We have done his Pisa and Lucca tour including the Villa Torrigiani.  We were the only people there (minibus of 7)  and it was so great to get away from the crowds.  We have also done his San Gimignano countryside and wine tour which was excellent.  We have friends, met on cruise critic, who also recommend this lovely gentleman.

Yes, there are multiple gates to the old city.  None require a taxi.  We go to one particular gate so that we don't miss our favorite bakery 🙂

Hi Caviagal,

Thank you for your post in reply to my Livorno Shuttle Your comments regarding Lucca are very much appreciated, like many areas of Italy visiting when on Cruise only gives a flavour, the boards posted here are an excellent way of focusing in on the best way to manage time during visits. Would appreciate if it suits to see your Restaurant recommendations.

Again many thanks!

Hi Mrs Miggins,

Again thank you for the follow up to your earlier post I will certainly have look at Paolo Bonetti's web site. The replies we have been receiving will certainly aid my planning for our visit. Again many thanks!

On 2/6/2019 at 5:55 AM, Coaster 19 said:

Would appreciate if it suits to see your Restaurant recommendations.

We enjoyed Trattoria Canuleia very much last year and also La Buca di S. Antonio (a bit more upscale and pricier but very good wine list) and I highly recommend reservations at both.