Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Thanks Mike – I thought that would be the case about the windows.

Hi Vera – yes I know my boy would love it if he went but with the single supplement we have to pay for his a joining cabin makes it very expensive for one who is not fussed on going (..my husbands words..). So back to Kota Kinabalu we will go in April. I am a little disappointed but KK is great also. I have contacted Star Cruises regarding their itineraries for 2008 but they don’t come out until August /September and I believe the Gemini is heading to Australia then so I will be interested to see what they have on offer as I would like to do one in the second half of 2008.

Hi there Mumsie – Which cruise are you doing in July? Do you have some top secret info on itineraries 2008? I couldn’t fine anything on the web site.

I was told that they do not allow 3 in a suite but you can always try and see what they say.

I have spoken to many people who have done the Gemini and the Virgo cruises and most have said they enjoyed the Gemini best of all. It sounds to me like the Gemini has a more casual atmostphere which is appealing to us. What are your opinions?

:rolleyes: Bev

Folk who want sample of ships activities as in sample STAR NAVIGATOR please feel free to e-mail me at kuldalai@pipeline.com.au

Rather than single cabin occupancy for your son, get him to bring along a mate that will get him interested and overall cost comes down. Get him to look on Star website at http://www.starcruises.com at fleet>gemini and that should interest him . Never found a teenager or kid above 6 that has not just gone missing and loved every moment on both VIRGO & GEMINI . The parents reckon its fantastic they ( kids & teenagers) just appear at mealtimes and to sleep late at night, and apart from that they are into anything and everything on board and making all sorts of new friends .

Thanks for the feedback everyone- friends who are experienced Gemini travellers here in WA tell me that either shorex or going it alone are fine. A friend has given me a couple of hints for things to see and do- although excited to explore I think we both need alot of R&R so will be keen to relax and take it easy so going alone might be more condusive to this.

Same as you Les we are really excited- 13 weeks on SUNDAY !!

E :)

Hi E,

What date do you board ship? Yes its great to build up the anticipation!! My Mum and Lady are close runners up!

Hi Bev, Hope it all goes well for you in your quest for information as well.

Hi Mummsie, how has the dancing been, last reports from the Gemini were they had different dance classes every day, I do hope these will not be when we are asore on excursions as I was looking forward to honing the dance skills on board and then strutting our stuff of a night!!

Cheers to all

Les

Hi there Mumsie – Which cruise are you doing in July? Do you have some top secret info on itineraries 2008? I couldn’t fine anything on the web site.

I was told that they do not allow 3 in a suite but you can always try and see what they say.

I have spoken to many people who have done the Gemini and the Virgo cruises and most have said they enjoyed the Gemini best of all. It sounds to me like the Gemini has a more casual atmostphere which is appealing to us. What are your opinions?

:rolleyes: Bev

No secret information yet - we are waiting until the next lot of itineries come out the same as everybody else. We are assuming it will be the same as previous July's. I hope it is because the Virgo doesn't interest me. They are usually only 5 dayers for the Asian gambling market.

3 cabins is going to work out quite expensive - especially for my son who is still an apprentice. We may have to rethink our plans at that rate unless he can find a mate to come along to share the cost. Mummsie:p

Hi E

I will try to leave some food and drink on the Gemini and have hopefully will not have wore out the band!!

Try to leave some souveniers in Singapore for us as well!!

Should hopefully be able to post info whilst we are on board.

Cheers

Les

Hi hope someone can help with a few questions 16 of us are booked for early October 6 for 2 weeks 16 for 1 week ( sorry to any one else booked we are a noisy lot, the females mainly )

1/ Can you take all booze on board or just wine

2/ Do they have large tables to fit a group for dinner and can we pre book them

3/ Are we best to book tours from the ship or being a group wait until we reach land for a better deal

4/ Should we change our money on board or change in each port

Thanks for any help

1/ Can you take all booze on board or just wine

Youre' not supposed to bring any of your own grog on board . They xray all luggage and it will be put aside till you alight . Any wine taken to restaurants very high corkage charge . Best forget it as far as BYO is concerned . On board grog prices are very reasonable compared to Aussie prices . To reduce your cost for on-board purchases see my earlier posting re joining up to STAR CRUISER card before Gemini sails from Singapore .

2/ Do they have large tables to fit a group for dinner and can we pre book them.

They have tables for large groups like 8 - 16 at rear of Ocean Palace restaurant . You can try and book, but generally they only accept pre-booking for Admiral class pax (pax in Junior or Owners suites). Don't worry just bowl up - relax Star are brilliant .

3/ Are we best to book tours from the ship or being a group wait until we reach land for a better deal . Some people prefer ships tours, others like self explore . Up to you see previous advice in this thread re pros and cons .

4/ Should we change our money on board or change in each port. On board currency is cabin card and expressed in Singapore $ . You can change money on board but conversion rates are not so favourable as everything gets converted to Singapore $ first . Best bet is to take US $ in notes or travellers cheques and that is accepted anywhere . Saves all the hassles of currency conversion. Where possible put it on the plastic fantasic, delays settlement and always the chance the trader loses the docket somewhere and you end up getting a freebie . On 20/05 trip on Gemini I am still awaiting one Mastercard purchase off ship, seems to have got lost between the various parties .

Hi Just Hooked - and welcome to CC.

Re reserving tables, last month on Gemini there was a large group travelling together, I noticed they had three tables of 8 reserved near the entrance to the dining room, they didn't use them at breakfast though and mixed in with the rest of us.

Re money, I usually change AUD$50 of Malay and Thai currency (exchange at Morely has commission free days at times) and that at least is enough to start you off - sometimes there are no money changers or ATMs that don't work at the various ports.

Vera

I'm pretty sure there are no fridges in balcony class on Virgo...which reminds me. I think I read soft drinks are cheaper when you by half a dozen at a time and then you can just get ice when you want to drink them in your room. Is that true for Gemini/Virgo?

:rolleyes: Yet another question for all you Gemini experts. My husband has expressed an interest in doing a cruise from Sydney – around the top of Aus and down to Fremantle. I do like the idea of a longer cruise but I’m inclined get sea sick. Has anyone cruised on the Gemini in Australian waters and how did you find the sea conditions?

I am really keen to get hold of the 2008 itinerary and the waiting is agonising. They say it will be out August/September and the current itinerary only goes to March/Aril at the latest.

Oh well – I suppose I’ll just have to sit back and be patient.

Thanks to all

:cool: Bev

Australian itineraries for Summer Season 07/08 herewith at this link . Earlybird discounts for bookings before 31/08/07 . http://www.starcruises.com/Itineraries/Australia/index.html

Beyond that based on past experience SS Gemini will be deployed ex Singapore March to October 2008 at least . (April deployments already on Star website ). If Summer Aus season is well supported this summer 07/08 then expect repeat season Nov 08/Feb 09 along similar lines. From previous postings seems SS LIBRA will not be returning to India so there are two outside possibilities (i) SS GEMINI replacing Marco Polo within Orient Lines or (ii) SS GEMINI or SS LIBRA deployed to Australian waters during Australian winter months .(in place of India.)

Hi All,

He’s back on the thread, but never mind, anyway just talking with friends who did the Straits trip last week, sorry week before, anyway they said the ship was only half full, they reckon more Staff than Passengers, while good for the Cruisers it is a bit sad for Star!

Silly thing is we have started to look at going back to Alaska in ’08, only this time on HAL so going to different places, and half of the cruises on their 4 ships, all 1,200 Passengers plus, are already booked over 12 months out, I bet Star are scratching their heads?:confused:

Anyway back to Gemini, our friends told us that most of the Staff they talked to indicated that they would not be going down to Australia, they all said that they thought that Australian waters would be too rough!

Unfortunately have spent 10 years in the RAN I tend to agree with them, as it ac be quite fickle, the likes of the Bight and Bass Strait can be as flat as a mill pond and at other times I have ploughed through 25 meter swell / waves, just hope for all those planning a Aus Cruise it is calm.:eek:

Anyway glad to inform all those about to Cruise that Miss Smith (unpronounceable first name) the CD has settled into the job and is thought by all to be just grand, gone is the Hi de Hi – Ho de Ho, style, so that’s good.:p

Anyway best wishes to Gemini and all who sail on her.

Regards, Bruce

Hi Bruce - yes, I could do Alaska again. Have you been on HAL - friends say it is one of the best lines they've been on.

Gemini was pretty full on 17 June sailing, we enjoyed the cruise so much that we've booked Bali/Freo in November. Barring a cyclone or two I hope it won't be too rough!

You say most of the staff won't be coming to Australia surely they can't all break their contracts or get transfers? Some of the ones I spoke to said they were looking forward to this part of the world.

'Miss Smith' told me her name originates in Devon UK but she's called Heidi. By end June she'd settled down alot, I think on your cruise it may have been 'nerves' in her new job.

Vera

Hi all, six days to go 'till we fly out of Brisbane to Hong Kong. 3 days at the Majestic and then HK to Singapore Wed'18th on Gemini. I need some advice please. We have never been to Hong Kong and have made no plans for tours. Mary wants to visit the markets near the hotel, Temple, Ladies and Jade but I'm more inclined towards some interesting tours. That's the advice I need please.

A - a reliable tour group?

B - suggested tours both day and night?

C - where should we eat?

D - and lastly, what to avoid?

Thanks

Frank

Hi Vera,

Yes the ‘rush’ appears to be on to go North, as I indicated on the HAL web site nearly all of the late June, July and early August 2008 have sold out, now whether there are wholesalers with cabins still free or not who knows!

Not been on HAL, only Celebrity (sorry and Gemini), would like to know what they are like, especially like to hear from someone who has experienced both to get a comparison???:confused:

Apparently from what we were told there are quite a number of the Gemini Crew who’s contract expires just prior to the Aus Cruises and they are mostly opting not to go / sign back on, don’t know if the others have an option or not?

Anyway from Bali to Freo it’s all down hill so it should be ok!:p

Regards, Bruce

Hi Frank,

I am in Hong Kong very frequently so I am giving you first hand info.

Truthfully, "tours" are really not necessary in HK. Ok, yes, they are convenient and hassle free. If you do opt for an organized tour, contact the concierge at your hotel. They only use tour operators that are safe and have proven themselves.

You can also stop by any HK Tourist Office (there is one at Star Ferry Kowloon--near Passenger Ship Terminal) and they will provide you with self-guided walking tours of Hong Kong, both in Kowloon and HK Island. I have done these, and they are quite nice.

Do go to see the "Avenue of the Stars" which is located on the harborfront promenade in Kowloon. It is a wonderful area and fantastic views of the HK Harbour. Lots of photo-op here.

Do visit Temple Street Night Market, also the ladies market and Jade market.

Do take the tram ride up to Victoria Peak (HK Island) for fantstic panoramic views. There are places to eat and have drinks.

Do visit Hollywood Road (HK Island) if you like antiques, and also all the "boutique" and "in" restaurants near and around this area.

Do take a HK Harbour Ferry Tour. Very interesting and a great way to relax and see all the sights of this fabulous harbour. Not expensive either.

They also offer evening dinner cruises.

Other than this (and there is lots more) just stroll all the side street in Kowloon and window shop, or buy:) at your own leisure.

The Shangri-La Hotel (Kowloon) Lobby Bar has great drinks and wonderful harbour views.

Hope I have helped you some. If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Best,

Mike