Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Hi All, We got home yesterday after 3 days Hong Kong, 11 on board Gemini, overnight Singapore and 10 days Phuket. What a trip!!!!

If we had known how much we would enjoy the cruise we would have done the entire Singapore to Singapore instead of just the HK to Singapore leg. But this was our first cruise and we just didnt know. It was fantastic. The ship was great, the crew were fantastic and we had a ball at every port and every day between ports. I can't think of a single thing that needs changing to improve any aspect of the cruise. The entertainment was outstanding, the food was brilliant, the crew were so friendly and willing to help in any way. It will definately not be our last cruise and we will return some time to the Gemini, I'm sure.

Any specific questions, glad to answer

To all you people about to set off - have a great time.

Frank & Mary

Anyone thinking of booking for SS GEMINI's Australian itineraries is best advised not to dally too long as the early Bird discounts cut out on 31/08/07 and according to press adverts in todays Aussie papers the two (2) cruises out of Perth up to Exmouth and Broome departing on 26/12/07 and 02/01/08 are already fully sold out . Other itineraries also understood to be booking very well, even at this early stage.

Mike query, have many friends who would like to sample cruising by first doing a short leg like Melbourne - Sydney on SS Gemini . When SS LEO and SS VIRGO came to Aus previously short sector legs were sold (& advertised) a few weeks prior to departure to top up the vessel with available berths city sector by city sector pair . Is this likely to happen again with the smaller vessel like Gemini ?

Welcome back Frank and Mary

Good to hear the trip went great. How did you go with going through customs at both ends. Where and what sort currency x/change do you recommend. What sort of activities were on the ship this time. Was the night life on board good, plenty of space on the dance floors? What was the average age group and were they westerners/aussies or whatever.

Did you take any pics for the post.

Cheers

Les

Hi all. My wife and I are going on the 26th August S/S Gemini cruise out of Singapore. This is our first cruise we are looking forward to it, but I have a lot of newbie questions. Hope someone can help

1.We are staying in an Executive Suite with a balcony and I wondered if anyone in the forum have stayed in these cabins, and were they good?

2. With the Virgo, they have a balcony class with priority boarding, is this the case on the Gemini?

3. I am a Bundy rum drinker (for medicinal purposes only) and in an earlier posts I read : a). that it was OK to bring duty free alcohol onboard and b). that it needed to come on in your main suitcase. Has anyone tried either or both recently.

4. We have travelled overseas fairly extensively and I feel we will do the organised shorex trips, as I find that with limited time you see the most. I imagine these are like a sampler and if you like the place you can come back for a longer stay. In earlier posts I thought I read these were around $100 AUD p/p for the full day trips. Is this about right?

5.Also someone told me that Ho Chi Min city is some distance from the cruise terminal. I also read a thread that we can do the pedi cab ride excursion on the first night in port. Can we go into HCM city on the first night in port?

God, this looks like a rewrite of "War and Peace".

Thanks for all the help in advance

Brisbane Newbie

Went on first departure of this itinerary on SS GEMINI back on 20/05/07 so are well experienced to answer your queries :

1.We are staying in an Executive Suite with a balcony and I wondered if anyone in the forum have stayed in these cabins, and were they good?

You will most likely be on Deck 7 and there are two (2) types with view or with obstructed view (like lifeboat in the view partially). Both will be fine, and you will be very comfortable.

2. With the Virgo, they have a balcony class with priority boarding, is this the case on the Gemini? Yes when you arrive at Singapore Cruise Centre look for directional signage and you book your big bags in at ground level and they will be delivered to your Stateroom. Then proceed to upper floor of Cruise Centre via escalator, turn right and look for SS GEMINI ADMIRAL CLASS check-in on the left . You get your on-baord card, they book you in for Captains Dinner, then express through Immigration and with your hand luggage carried by you , you are on board. You will be shown to your Stateroom .

3. I am a Bundy rum drinker (for medicinal purposes only) and in an earlier posts I read : a). that it was OK to bring duty free alcohol on board and b). that it needed to come on in your main suitcase. Has anyone tried either or both recently. I'd put the bottle of Bundy in your hand luggage . Don't take any BYO grog to restaurants or bars or you will be charged a corkage fee of like $ 18Aus . Their on board bar and restaurant grog prices are very reasonable by Australian standards .

4. We have travelled overseas fairly extensively and I feel we will do the organised shorex trips, as I find that with limited time you see the most. I imagine these are like a sampler and if you like the place you can come back for a longer stay. In earlier posts I thought I read these were around $100 AUD p/p for the full day trips. Is this about right?

Look at your STAR NAVIGATOR newsheet as soon as you board and before they sail there will be a briefing in Galaxy of the Stars like at 1545 on the Sunday on Shore Excursions for all ports up to Hxg . Well worth attending then go to Shore Ex desk and book your tours. (Similar briefing next morning 0930 also in Galaxy of the Stars for general points of interest and self exploring / shopping tips for ports of call.) Tour prices reasonable, prices like $ 100 - $ 120 Singapore for full day including lunch. Admiral Class pax are first off for booked tours and have separate assembly area in Gemini Bar. They will give you instructions.

5.Also someone told me that Ho Chi Min city is some distance from the cruise terminal. I also read a thread that we can do the pedi cab ride excursion on the first night in port. Can we go into HCM city on the first night in port? Gemini is small boat and goes right up Saigon River and berths right in the heart of Ho Chi Minh City. Berth is right on foot of CBD. Bit far for walking but 5 minutes by taxi to centre of the action. Friday afternoon pedi cab tour takes you up town by coach, war attrocities museum, then pedi cab tour and return to boat . Yes, go up town after dinner on boat by taxi no problem . They give you chit of paper with Terminal address and you just show the taxi driver and he brings you back . Tip as pedestrian crossing streets in HCMC don't stop or you will get run over. Watch the locals, just keep walking and the motor scooters will drive around you .

Best tours in my opinion - Koh Samui - Island round tour and elephant riding; Laem Chebang - full day to Bangkok highlights; Ho Chi Minh City - Friday pedi-cab, Saturday - full day city highlights and shopping; Da Nang - Full day Imperial HUE (best trip of whole cruise .)

With your class of cabin - as soon as you get on board and settled in go and join STAR CRUISER (free) before ship sails and you will get brownie points for your cabin. On settling account you will have accumulated more brownie points for on board purchases on cabin card, and you then convert points and get a few hundred dollars off your account at settlement .

You will have a wonderful time sensational vessel with 7 star crew, and don't miss the floorshow the night the crew entertains the pax .

Kuldalai, thank you very much for the great info. We're really looking forward to the cruise. When we come back we will post plenty of info and some pics. We are travelling with 2 other couples so it should be a great trip and I have forwarded your advice to them as well.

Cheers from Brisbane Newbie

Welcome Brisbane Newbie- not long until your trip- I hope you enjoy- our cruise is on September 30th.

Just to continue on with an ealier thread- I applied for our Starcard over the internet and have just had a reply via email to say the cards are ready to be picked up on board and giving us our membership number.

I believe this is different to you Les as yours arrived in the mail is that correct? However I think you said you did post the forms??

E onboard :)

Update as of 14 Aug,

Superstar Gemini's season in Singapore will be extended till end-Dec 2008. Straits of Malacca 7 night cruise with perhaps slight port change will be available also, 26-night special cruise to Hong Kong will be available as well as trips on South China Sea.

Basically the current season schedule will be in use again with slight changes.

Pacific cruise season for Gemini might return however it is unlikely as of now.

This information is as of today and might be unvalid without prior notice

Hi Kudalai, saw your post on the Virgo thread

What I've posted is more or less firm just that you cant book the trips with your agent yet, maybe just do some planning first? =)

The ship homeport might not be Singapore anymore, the schedule is very very confusing. If new homeport is PKlang it makes more sense schedule-wise however I doubt there will be traffic for such long cruises.

7-night Straits of Malacca dates :

6, 13, 20, 27 APR08

4 MAY08

22, 29 JUN08

17 AUG08

5, 12, 19, 26 OCT08

2, 9, 16, 23, 30 NOV08

7, 14, 21, 28 DEC08

21-night Straits of Malacca dates :

1 Jun08

21-night South China Sea/Hong Kong dates :

11 MAY08

6 JUL08

21-night Asia 1 dates :

27 JUL08

21-night Asia 2 dates :

24 AUG08

21-night Asia 3 dates :

14 SEP08

14-night Asia 4 dates:

21 SEP08

Hi All and welcome Newbie,

Hi E, yes, my partner and I have ours already but my Mum is still waiting, so I sent off another application but still no news, today I will e/mail them to see what the progress is. Its getting close now.

Cheers

Les

Now you've got us thoroughly confused .

Previously posted in italics :

7-night Straits of Malacca dates :

6, 13, 20, 27 APR08

4 MAY08

22, 29 JUN08

17 AUG08

5, 12, 19, 26 OCT08

2, 9, 16, 23, 30 NOV08

7, 14, 21, 28 DEC08

21-night Straits of Malacca dates :

1 Jun08 This appears to be new itinerary what are proposed ports of call ?

21-night South China Sea/Hong Kong dates :

11 MAY08

6 JUL08

Is this the same itinerary and ports that ran this year as Asian Oddysey with three departure dates ?

21-night Asia 1 dates :

27 JUL08

21-night Asia 2 dates :

24 AUG08

21-night Asia 3 dates :

14 SEP08

14-night Asia 4 dates:

21 SEP08

The Asia 1, 2, 3, 4 appear to be new itineraries ? What are the ports of call ?

What happens with SS LIBRA after it goes to KL in December, obviously not going back to India, and seems Taiwan July - Nov '08 but what happens with it Dec '07 to July' 08 ?

Libra will be homeported at Pklang from December 07 to Early Feb 08 with short cruises around Straits of Malacca.

Yes, the Asia 1,2,3,4 itinerary is new however I am not able to reveal any information. Each trip mixes ports-of-call around South China Sea, Straits of Malacca. Each trip has slightly different port of calls.

The previously said 26-night to Hong Kong was mistaken in my part, it should be 21-night, more or less the same as current Hong Kong schedule aka Asian Odyssey.

All trips except Asian Odyssey will call at Port Klang, thats why I am confused cause it does not make sense travelling from Singapore-PKG-Ho Chi Minh City for e.g.

Sorry for the lack of information, the full schedule ought to be released BY early-Oct.

The Port Klang thing this might make some sense . SS GEMINI is very popular with Aussies. Qantas is subtly directing the lower yield leisure traffics to its budget subsidiary JETSTAR International which flies from Melbourne and Sydney to KL but not Singapore . So QF and Star may have had discussions and that is why the emphasis on Port Klang as QF are huge wholesaler for both VIRGO and GEMINI in Australia.

If the vessel is going round a loop whether Singapore or KL is the join/leave point is not really important . So say join KL go Singapore (or even miss Sinagpore ) then into South China Sea return KL no big deal .

Very interesting theory and definitely possible. Have to wait and see though.

SIN and PKG as joint-homeport has existed for a long time although SIN is the main port and there was little/no ads for PKG embarkation.

The season's new itinerary in that case will be very attractive and will cater to Australians especially who is looking for longer-trips around Asia during the peak season(Jun-Aug?)

Just a quick hello to say we're back - had an enjoyable cruise and wish it was a bit warmer at home (very wet yesterday and still cloudy with a few forecast showers today - but there is hope for washing the next couple of days :rolleyes: )

Will write in more detail and put up some photos ASAP.

The captain did announce there would be six Hong Kong trips next year (there were 3 this year). Also, SSG will be going into dry-dock on Oct 28 (i.e. B4 coming to OZ, not sure for how long).

More soon.

Hi All

Finally got our room numbers. My Lady and I are in 4213 and my Mum in 4209. Has anyone got any pro or con feedback on either of these cabins.

Welcome back Boeckli, it will be good to hear all your impressions and stories.

Cheers

Les