Superstar Gemini

mummsie

You can get info sheets for each port of call free from the tours desk . Also on most cruises they have two presentations in Galaxy of Stars very early on the cruise ;check your STAR NAVIGATOR Newsheet issued daily . One presentation is on the Star sold tours at each port of call, and the second presentation is on each port of call for the self explorers . Don't be scared to do your own thing, taxis are cheap and plentiful . Also when you alight at each port of call you will be given a small slip of paper giving the address where the boat is docked and some phone numbers in case you get bushed . (Just show this to a taxi driver and you are back at the boat hey presto).

Just use common sense Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam , Hong Kong all found to be very safe and welcoming . In doing your own thing always plan to be be back to the boat well in advance of the last boarding time they give you, so that you have a safety margin . Aussie mobiles work fine in most of the above countries (just arrange Overseas roaming with TELSTRA before you leave Aus.) Relax roll with the punches and have a great cruise holiday experience .

Hi Tracey

All the talk about steaks is making me hungry even though i just had breakfast!! Wish it was in the Mariners Buffet already. All these wonderful posts makes me feel like I know the Gemini even though I haven't sailed 1 inch past my desk!! What a great source of information this thread is with great fellow past and future cruisers!

To E, I wouldn't be that keen on electronic goods over there, if you look hard enough where you live you will find whatever you want at cheaper prices. I just bought a brand new Protax DVD/Camera recorder with all the accessories and 2 x 2GB storage cards for under $200, there is no way you will buy better than that over there in my opinion. Other examples are an 80GB iPod which I bought for $435, The other reason is unless the item carries a worldwide warrantee or guarantee it is pretty hard to get it fixed, also make sure the power usage is the same as we have, I have known people to get caught out. You have plenty of time still to see what I mean, I will still buy DVD and Music over there but electrical here, mind you I spend way too much on clothes whenever I go there.

Cheers

Les

Hi Les- sometime back (page 27 or 28) you mentioned you had applied for your StarCruiser World card. Have you recieved it yet and what did you put into the online application for Identity Card Number?

Also have you got your tickets yet - I picked ours up today and it states to complete your registration online as well - have you done that and is it necessary or just saves you time on embarkation day??

Thanks

E :)

Hi E

I also applied for the card online and typed in "don't have one' in the box for ID number. It accepted that so now I'm waiting to see if the card arrives in the post!

Even though I'm travelling on Virgo in December I enjoy the Gemini thread...lots of useful information. So thanks everyone.

Liz

Hi E,

I received a e/mail from them confirming my registration and they said the card would come out within 4 weeks, but also to be safe I downloaded the application form off the net and filled it in and posted it by the traditional way. Hopefully out of either one I will get a card prior to departure.

I haven't got my tickets yet, out travel agent said we would only get them 30 days before going, mind you we have paid the total price back in the middle of June, I would like to ticket so I can see which cabin number we are in.

Hope all the other info was OK for you. What age group do you fall into E?

Also It is interesting to note that there are different e/mail address for Star, I used the Singapore one, maybe if you send to Malaysia or Hong Kong it wont get through.

Cheers

Les

Hi folks, a couple of questions please. I've read that each cabin on the Gemini has Tea/Coffe making facilities but I was just wondering, does that include a regular supply of coffee, sugar, etc? and if so what about Milk? also, On the :"Dress up Nights" I realise a jacket is compulsory but what about a tie? Is that also required?

Thanks again

Frank

I will be very interested to see if the StarCruiser WorldCard is of any use for sailings on the Gemini. According to the website" ... The Star Cruiser WorldCard membership is currently recognised and accepted onboard SuperStar Virgo, Star Pisces and Wasa Queen*. Your WorldCard Points can be used to earn and redeem cabins and other services onboard SuperStar Gemini as soon as they become available..."

On the other hand, it states on the application page "... * Online application is currently available for cruisers who have booked on SuperStar Virgo and SuperStar Gemini.

Alternatively, you can apply for your membership when you cruise with us onboard SuperStar Virgo, SuperStar Gemini, SuperStar Aquarius and Star Pisces...."

I have had a card since they introduced it in 2004. Have sent an email to their enquiry section (but won't hold my breath for an answer). Otherwise I'll find out onboard soon :D

Hi everyone,

Frank, a jacket is not compulsory for the Captain's dinner, nor is a tie. The dress requirement for men in the Ocean Palace (for dinner) is a shirt with collar, closed in shoes, and shorts are not permitted. There were men at the Captain's dinner wearing polo shirts, through to the full on tux.

The milk for in cabin use comes in those 'too small' portion control UHT packs. If your cabin steward doesn't keep up the supply, there is more available in the Mariners Buffet 24 hours a day, just help yourself. Same applies to teabags and coffee packets.

We applied for our Star Cruiser card on board, went to lunch, and picked it up afterwards. The points we were credited with we used against our bill which we paid 90% of about 5 days before the cruise ended. The remainder was paid via a credit card authorisation. Then we earned more points to pay that off too.

Unfortunately,compared to many other cruise line websites, Star Cruises leaves a lot to be desired, so does their internet communication. They should hire themselves a good IT consultant.

Les, I would have thought your TA would have given you some paperwork by now with your cabin number. Check thru what you've got. I didn't notice our cabin number at first.

Vera, welcome back. Glad you had a good time.

Tracey.

Tracey - thanks for the info on the card (and also on the milk/tea/coffee)

Maybe now I can use the points I have already plus any new ones from the Gemini cruise (on the Virgo cruises with balcony we always had an F&B credit, so did not earn too many points on food and drinks)

Looking forward to the cruise :) (need a change of scenery)

Boeckli - the tide was in so we managed to swim in the sea - though I did have a swim in the pool too. How did you enjoy Berjaya for 10 days? I'd love to go back especially if they have 'gula malaka' on their menu! Forgot to take a look!

Vera

Hi Vera - Have been meaning to respond to this but ....

Did we enjoy Berjaya ? - yes and no.

It was nice to be able to swim in the sea (when tide was in of course), beach was good, food was good. Room was very spacious and proximity to the beach great. Generally though a distinct lack of maintenance was evident throughout most of the resort. It's supposed to be a 5* property but if compared to other 5*'s in Malaysia, it does not come near it. Sure, it has the facilities required, but think it is suffering from lack of funds to maintain (reinforced by our long chat with the GM at the time).

Apart from the resort and swimming/snorkelling, there is not much to do. You can get a taxi or shuttle bus to "town" but there are only a few shops, jetty and airport. Access by air is adventurous to say the least ....

Bottom line - would we go back - most likely not.

If anyone's interested, I can try and add some pics to my Picasa web-albums.

Hi all- interesting info on the cards etc. Les- my hubby and I are 50ish. Looking forward to the cruise and will probably do alot of individual shorex as I have some friends here who have been giving heaps of info as well- getting excited and researching heaps on the net.

Will try sending off card application after writing this and see how we go. Surprised you don't have cabin allocation yet esp if fully paid- ours was here within one week of fully payment!!

E :)

I’m so glad I found the site as we are considering doing our first cruise next April. We are looking at the 7 nights Straits of Malacca on the 13th of April but I still need some questions answered.

My husband & I are huge fans of Kota Kinabalu and the Shangri la, Tanjung Aru resort where we have had some wonderful R&R holidays and now after an exhausting European trip we are looking for some thing for next year which is of a slower pace. My husband immediately says he wants to go back to KK for 10 days but I would like to explore some thing different – So here I am!

Now to those how have done it before, can you please help-

1: What is the general age group? My husband and I are 51 years young and we will be taking our 16 year old son.

2: Would there be enough to keep our boy happy?

3: Is a boy this age allowed to you the gym unsupervised? (He likes to lift weights)

4: Being the start of the Aussie holidays is there likely to be other teens on board.

5: What sort of weather conditions can we expect for that time of the year? - (I tend to get sea sick)

I hope the can help me - I will have to present a good case to the men in the house if I wont to break the KK ritual.

Thanks

Bev:D

It is available free on board on SS GEMINI now, and current holders can use it on SS GEMINI. For existing card holders the secret is to swipe it and activate it for your cruise at Reception BEFORE Gemini sails from the home port. You then get the brownie points credit for the cabin type you have already booked, then everything you charge to your door card on board accumulates more points during the cruise automatically . On the night you settle your account present World Cruiser Card and redeem points and it will reduce your Singapore $ payable account . Better still by paying by credit card or cash in settlement of on-baord account you get more brownie points towards next cruise . If you don't have the card then fill in application and get it processed at Reception on SS GEMINI before it sails from home port, and make sure reception staff swipe the card to activate it for you (and get your brownie points credit for cabin booked. ) On last 10 day trip on SS GEMINI reduced my account by $ 200 Singapore so well worth getting .

Now to those how have done it before, can you please help-

1: What is the general age group? My husband and I are 51 years young and we will be taking our 16 year old son.

Generally 40's - 70's , with more kids and teenagers during Aussiie school holiday periods .

2: Would there be enough to keep our boy happy?

Provided he's an easy going guy you will never see him. Pool, karaoke, floorshows, gym, lots of things to explore . Lots of on baord activities for all ages .

3: Is a boy this age allowed to you the gym unsupervised? (He likes to lift weights)

Don't see why not don't recall seeing anything prohibiting it . They don't have free weights, rather weight resistance type machines . Given GEMINI is smaller boat the gym is not huge, but quite adequate .

4: Being the start of the Aussie holidays is there likely to be other teens on board.

For sure during Aussie school holidays Aussies flock up to Singapore to cruise on both VIRGO & GEMINI because Asaian cruises are very close time wise, and cruises are outsatnding value.

5: What sort of weather conditions can we expect for that time of the year? - (I tend to get sea sick). Whilst it can get a little swellish generally I have found both sides of the Malay Peninsula to be very smooth seas on all cruises up there .

GEMINI rides very well anyway and has stabilisers, and sea calmness tablets are available anyway if it gets rough . On our recent 10 days Singapore - Hong Kong it was like a mill pond all the way .

Best way to ensure your son has a great time is for him to bring along a mate,

you two book an outside stateroom, and for the boys you book an inside stateroom near yours . That way it is quite affordable .

Hi All

Hi E, I know it seems funny about not having the info but we have booked with F-----t C-------e and they have a stupid policy of only giving tickets 30 days before departure. I would like to know which cabins we have so I can see on the deck plan where they are located. We are thinking if the ship is not so full of trying to get an upgrade, apparently this can be done once you have checked in and if you are lucky you can save a bundle!! Hope so, You guys are the same as us and I am sure you will find plenty of things to do to keep yourselves occupied, the shorex I do not think are anything to stress about, I am sure hubby is quite capable of taking care of you both, even though I like to try to plan things in advance and have control of it all I still realize from past experiences that one has to be fluid and roll with the changes as sometimes things do not happen as one wishes, but I am a firm believer of forewarned id forearmed, so I hunt down any bit of info I can find, you have another few weeks more than me so I am sure by the time you depart you will be well stocked with information, especially since this thread has so many seasoned and experienced Gemini travelers past present and future, do what I am doing and enjoy the preliminaries and build up the anticipation until you get to finally experience and savour it all, thats what I am doing!!

Thanks Tracey and Vera for your good tips as well, it would be great to do a trip with all the die hard Gemini fans!!

Cheers

Les

Hey Les,

Don't get too carried away in your assumptions that "hubby is quite capable of taking care of you both". Don't underestimate us women!! LOL.

In Nha Trang, I had to tell my DH to ignore the pedal cab driver who was shadowing us and let me do all the talking......... otherwise we'd have ended up on the next plane home!! Just depends who is more out of their comfort zone. :D

Your code work is very good........ I have no idea who you have booked with!! Or why they would have such a silly policy. You've paid up, I'd be asking for something in return. When do you go? I forget..........:o

Tracey.

Does anyone have any copies of the Star Navigator Daily Program that they can scan an upload or email over. I am considering Star and want to see what the onboard lifestyle is like in comparison to the American Cruise lines.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi Tracey

Your right, I should never underestimate a woman, my DL has also saved my bacon a few times!! But this time I have the home ground advantage. LOL

I will ring up the agent and see if things can be sped along a little, Its getting closer every day, this web page is funny, some days it shows your countdown clock and then for days it doesn't, I am losing track of how many days to go!!

cheers

Les

Thanks for your help kuldalai. I put forward my case last night and my husband is keen to do the cruise on the Gemini but my sons didn't seem interested to even look at the print outs which was surprising but the decision was made - If he can't get excited about it then we don't take him!!!

I have one more question and it may sound like a silly one but do the windows in the cabins actually open ?

A big thank you to all especially to Mumsie who started this thread - this site has been wonderful help for me.

Cheers :D

Bev

Hi Bev, welcome to the Gemini thread.

Just give your son a little time to warm to the idea of the cruise. He'll come around. And then you'll have the problem with him asking to go on a cruise again every vacation:D

The days of cabin windows being able to open are long gone.

Now with full aircon there is no need. Plus there is the safety issue.

Years ago it was nice to be able to open a cabin port and get fresh air and sometimes hear the sea. Now we have to spend the extra bucks and get a balcony cabin to do this.

Hope you and your family have a great cruise aboard Gemini, which is a fantastic ship.

Mike

Hi Bev and welcome - the WA group is growing! Thinking back to when our boys were your son's age they would have enjoyed cruising as one would have curled up with a book all day and the other would have had his father swimming, playing table tennis or anything active when poor old dad just wanted to relax! However .... a cruise without family is great too!!

Tracey - thanks for the welcome back but I could turn around right now and go anywhere warm! We have definitely booked Gemini Bali/Fremantle for November.

Boeckli - thanks for your comments on Berjaya Resort - I think our favourite spot in Bali still comes up tops.

Frank, are you still staying at the York Hotel? Found the Paragon shopping mall the nicest of all - quieter, a bit more 'up market' and better places to eat. Also large supermarket in basement. Can get to it from their back entrance just down from the hotel. For cheaper souvenirs/electronics etc Lucky Plaza or Far East Plaza are better.

Vera

Thanks for your help kuldalai. I put forward my case last night and my husband is keen to do the cruise on the Gemini but my sons didn't seem interested to even look at the print outs which was surprising but the decision was made - If he can't get excited about it then we don't take him!!!

I have one more question and it may sound like a silly one but do the windows in the cabins actually open ?

A big thank you to all especially to Mumsie who started this thread - this site has been wonderful help for me.

Cheers :D

Bev

Hi Bev, Thanks. I am still around - looks like we may be sailing on the Gemini again next July - just have to work out of our son can afford it. The cabins are much smaller than on the older P&o ships so I think 3 to a cabin might be a bit of a squeeze. We will have to book 3 cabins for the 5 of us - unless it works out cheaper to get a full sized suite. :D Mummise

Hi Gayle,

I think it would be better if you get 3 cabins. Gemini can only accommodate a 3rd and 4th pax in Category:DB (inside) and DA (inside) and CE (outside porthole)

But as you say, it may be tight for 3 in a cabin, although it is done.

Try pricing 1 outside and 2 insides across the hall.

I do not know if Star allows more than 2 pax in the Suites. They didn't before, but it could have changed.

Whatever you decide, I know you will enjoy your cruise.

Best,

Mike