Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Hi All

Hi E on Board,we finish our cruise on Sept 30th and by the sounds of it you must be on board straight after us. You must be similar age group to my partner and I, we are looking forward and hoping for a great trip, I have found so much useful information in this thread and if you go back to the beginning and read all you will see as well. So many satisfied customers so to speak. We are away for 14 days and I have got a good list of activities and places to see in most of the ports of call. Still working on some. The only factor which is unknown will be how the weather will affect. In all my other Asian trips we have been extremely lucky with the rain and out of all the holidays only had 2 days where the rain was for longer than 2 hours. I am use to the heat and humidity but my partner has not experienced it before so I hope she will be able to manage it because when you are sightseeing you are in the thick of it so to speak. You have plenty of time to get all the info you need.

cheers

Les

Hi Les,

How did you go finding info on Tioman Island? I found these web sites, haven't had much of a look, but they might be useful to you.

www.tioman.com.my

and

www.tripadvisor.com click on Asia > Malaysia (down the right hand side, look for the blue 'other destinations' bar) > all locations in Malaysia > Locations in Pahang > Pulau Tioman

hopefully you'll find enough info to suit your needs. I found this tripadvisor site to be very helpful and it covers e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e.

By the way, don't go too OTT with the clothes, pack light. I don't think we saw a jacket other than the Gala night. Leave some room in your suitcase for your treasures!! You may get rain, we got a little, and we also had brilliant lightning storms in the night. But be prepared for it to be HOT. We had high 30's most days with humidity+++. Take at least 2 bottles of water each ashore with you.

Karipatta, I hope your family are starting to pick up, especially your parents. Older folk just don't have the reserves to fall back on when there are bugs around. I agree about the 'obsessiveness', although I don't call it that either. I pushed a lift button today with my finger and I reprimanded myself, I always used a knuckle on the ship!! Less chance of putting that near my face later...........

It'll be interesting to hear from Vera... come on!! Where are you??? LOL.

Tracey.

I have two questions I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the food. I have read where there is a buffet and a la cart restaurant and was wondering is there much seafood - my husband and I love our seafood? Also is there a huge crush on the day you board to book the Captains dinner and the KL tours?

Thanks if anyone can answer these.

E

Yes, there are two restuarants on he Gemini. One being the Ocean Plaza serving a la carte food, and the Mariners Buffet. The dress code for dinner in the Ocean Plaza is enforced. No tee shirts, shorts or open toed footwear for men. Women to dress smart casual at least. The Mariner's is more relaxed, but it is often a bit off putting when an ocker sits next to you in a singlet and shorts for dinner.. There is very little in the way of exotic Seafood at either restuarant. I did overhear a passenger saying that it was the only ship that hasn't served Lobster on the menu. Personally, I believe seafood should be avoided overseas. It depends where it was taken on board I suppose, but I have seen so many people falling ill after eating seafood on shore excursions. Check out the wet markets for yourself and decide whether you would be game enough to eat it!

The Captain's gala dinner is 2 sittings; each one preceding an entertainment show in The Galaxy of the Stars. They also have pre dinner drinks in the foyer area. It is wise to book early only if you require a certain table or wish to be seated with friends etc. The late sitting is at 830pm.

Have a great trip, but be cautious when eating food away from the ship.

Noela

Hi All

Thanks Tracey

I will look up the sites and see if there is useful info. I know I probably should go lighter, but its good to get the chance to dress up more. During the day I don't think the jacket would work! I suppose its a matter of getting into the spirit of the whole experience. I think we will eat at the Ocean Palace for all our meals as 1 or 2 buffets will surely make the clothes I take not fit as they are meant to! Its such a hard thing to be spoilt all the time. Looking forward to keeping the staff busy running up to fill my glass at dinner.

Cheers

Les

Hi All

Thanks Tracey

I will look up the sites and see if there is useful info. I know I probably should go lighter, but its good to get the chance to dress up more. During the day I don't think the jacket would work! I suppose its a matter of getting into the spirit of the whole experience. I think we will eat at the Ocean Palace for all our meals as 1 or 2 buffets will surely make the clothes I take not fit as they are meant to! Its such a hard thing to be spoilt all the time. Looking forward to keeping the staff busy running up to fill my glass at dinner.

Cheers

Les

Hi all

Returned yesterday from a wonderful week on the Gemini.

All went smoothly from check in/boarding etc. right through each day.

First day at sea was sunny so enjoyed being out on deck. Second day Koh Samui, last time we were there it poured, this time it was sunny but the tide was out exposing coral and rocks so no one swam but we enjoyed lunch overlooking the beach and a long walk. Sea was very choppy so the tender ride was 'exciting' believe the last boats back took almost an hour to do the 30 minute trip.

Third day was another day at sea, there were plenty of activities on board (had my palm read) but chose to spend the rest of the day outdoors reading - there was a bbq that night.

HCMC we opted for the 'historical tour' - very interesting - visited the old Presidential Palace, Water Puppet Show, Museum, Temple, tri-shaw ride and a delicious lunch at a restaurant opposite the Sheraton Hotel. Last stop was the markets.

Next day at sea it poured almost all day so we were happy to see the sun once more at Pulau Tioman. People who went snorkeling there said it was fantastic we just spent a lazy day swimming and enjoying the facilities of Berjaya Resort - five minute walk from the tender pier.

Then all too soon the cruise was over. Disembarking was a breeze, didn't even have to wait for a taxi. All this being the beauty of a small ship.

As for the Gemini, I can only compare her with NCL and Princess but we are still very happy with Star Cruises. We had breakfast and dinner in the restaurant and lunch, when there, at the buffet and ate outdoors. Can't complain about the food. As for the crew, they get top marks, not just service but they seem genuinely happy despite the long hours they work.

Also, I did not hear of any mishaps, sickness etc. Passengers were mostly Australians (majority from Perth) but met people from Germany, France, UK and South Africa. At HCMC about 70 pax boarded there. Very few, and fortunately well behaved children on board despite it being school holidays in Asia.

So, the verdict - still in love with the Gemini! And I wish all future cruisers as enjoyable a time as we had.

Vera

Wow Vera

Sounds great, it is good to hear your trip went well. How was the cruise director lady going, is she the pain what some of the others have said, how long did it take you to board in Singapore? What activities did you do ashore in Koh Samui, any idea what shorex in HCMC was. In the social activities do you remember if they had dance classes and aslo how was the show or shows

on board. Any idea on age group of majority of PAX and were they vigilent on the Novo prevention. Sorry about all the questions but as you can imagine very curious on it all.

thanks Vera

Cheers

Les

Hi everyone, its been interesting reading everyones posts about the Gemini, and Im going on my first cruise this weekend. Leaving from Singapore.

I was just wondering, Im travelling with a 3 & 5 year old, and a 15 year old girl. Will there be much luck finding people their age on the cruise for them to hang out with? I know for sure that the 15 year old is thinking it will be boring without people her own age. From past experience would you guys be of any help? MAny people their age?

Thanks!!

Will depend on whether its school holidays or not in Aus or Asia. If school hols then there will be ankle biters and teenagers on board . If not then it will be mainly older people . For teenagers and kids VIRGO is probably a better ship in the kids pools, activities, rooms etc .

Pulau Tioman. People who went snorkeling there said it was fantastic we just spent a lazy day swimming and enjoying the facilities of Berjaya Resort - five minute walk from the tender pier.

Hi Vera - welcome back. Glad to hear you had a good time. Good to know that the tenders on Tioman land just past the Berjaya Resort (and not at the town jetty, where there is not much to see and do and it's not all that flash).

We stayed at the Berjaya Resort for 10 days after our Virgo cruise last year. Were you lucky and the tide was in during your visit or did you have to make do with the pool?

I bet the weather you came back to is a bit of a shock :eek:

Hi Les, CD was still Heidi (from Devon UK) - I think, because she's new to the job was more nerves than a pain as I had a lovely long chat with her in the Gemini Bar.

Re check in - took about 20 minutes in the queue but the ship was late docking (I think due to problems with Aquarius leaving) so had to wait an hour before boarding.

In Koh Samui we used ship's shuttle bus to Chaweng beach and did our own thing there.

HCMC shorex - choice of (1) Historical (2) Mekong Delta (3) Cu Chi tunnels (4) Culinary & sightseeing (5) tfr to city - independent activities. We chose (1) as described in my earlier post. You should be able to get details on Star Cruise website.

Yes, there were different dance classes every day including port days.

Average age I'd say late 50s as there were quite a few couples in their 30/40s. I think the longer cruises tend to have older (retired) people.

There were sanitizers at entrances to food areas, computer/library etc and on returning to ship.

Boeckli - the tide was in so we managed to swim in the sea - though I did have a swim in the pool too. How did you enjoy Berjaya for 10 days? I'd love to go back especially if they have 'gula malaka' on their menu! Forgot to take a look!

Vera

Hi All

Thanks Vera, if you had breakfast outside how did you find the temperature, not too hot, was it comfortable eating outside? if you ate at the Ocean Palace for breakfast did you still have the same variety as the buffet, could you order more if you still wanted something else to eat, or is a matter of getting only one crack at it so to speak. When you were in HCMC which currency did you find the best to use $US or $AUD. You would have found the exchange rates the best for years as our currency hasn't been this high for a decade!! Did you find your buying power was better than the last time you were in the region. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that they never saw any crayfish on the menu. Is there any seafood ( Calamari,Oyster Kilpatrick,Crab,Prawns etc) on any of the buffet menu or Ocean Palace. I know they would always have a fish dish of some description but the shell fish is always ?????? I am desperately trying to lose some weight so I have room to put some on the cruise!!!

Thanks Vera

Cheers

Les

Hi Les, outside the buffet there are plenty of shady spots and on deck 7 above, or tables that have umbrellas and usually a gentle breeze. Much preferred outdoors to airconditioning.

You won't go hungry in the restaurant for breakfast! I cut my order in half (one egg instead of two). Juices/fruit/cereals/pastries etc are still self serve there, only the hot food is ordered.

In HCMC we used US dollars but they'll take AUD.

No there wasn't alot of shellfish - apart from prawns but had some excellent barramundi! Yes, one definitely should make room to add on a few kilos!!

Vera

Fastest shopping in HCMC is with US $ and they quote all their prices in US $ anyway. Only problem is that they give the coin change in Vietnamese dong which are damn near worthless, other than I discovered some of their coin sizes as do HK dollar coins fit our parking meters here in Aus !!!

Vera- great to hear your back and enjoyed your cruise. Have only just joined this forum and found the infomration from fellow cruises great to read.

Like so many other newbies I do have one question- can you order a second helping in the a la carte restaurant (for my husband :) ).

Thanks E

Hi Mike - next cruise booked is Sun Princess from Fremantle 21 May (with 10 other CC members I know and 6 others yet to meet) three weeks to HCMC and then around to Phuket. But I'm looking at the Gemini Bali/Fremantle in November - (husband doesn't know yet!)

E - one night having dinner with another couple the guy asked for more vegetables, he was happy with the steak but was still hungry. The waitress was a little confused by the request but after consultation a plate of mixed vegetables arrived - of course, in the buffet there's heaps of hot and cold foods to satisfy any appetite!

Vera

Hi Vera

I wouldn't have thought they had steak!! I will be looking forward to trying them out. I was curious like E if you were still hungry at the Ocean Palace if they bring you out more. I know sometimes in Asian destinations I have been that they cannot understand us for wanting seconds as they think their helpings are large enough. But they do not know how us Aussies can put it away, What is the temp of the boat on the inside, between 15C -18C ? My Mum is worried that she will need a cardigan on all the time in the boat.

Cheers

Les

In Ocean Palace they regularly have a de luxe steak sandwich on the lunch menu, and the evening dinner menu always includes beef and chicken mignons .

Once youv'e been through the four courses on the evening dinner menu ; appetiser, soup, main and desert (plus cheese if you want it) you won't be able to move. Servings are quite generous , certainly not small . if you want extra veg, chips, icecream with deserts then just ask - no problems at all .

If you want to really pig out then the place to do it is the Marriners Buffet .There you can go back to the trough as many times as you want .

Public rooms are air conned comfortable for light clothes (remember it is humid and warm outside up there at the moment). Individual cabins have thermostat settings so you can set it as hot or cold as you like . In May I never wore anything else but a shirt, except a jacket for appearance at dinner . If your mum feels the cold then take a cardigan for safety .

Hi Les - yes the steak was really good as well as all other meat/fish dishes. No the portions are not huge but with four courses I certainly wasn't hungry especially eating three meals a day!

Definitely take a cardigan or shawl for the evenings indoors so it's there if needed (had one but didn't use it) as the public rooms are a little chilly. Cabin temperature you can regulate yourself.

Vera

Hello everyone, as per usual I have been impressed with all the details you seem to be able to remember! I read where someone did their own thing at all shore stops but was wondering about the risk of doing that?

We are doing the 7 day straits cruise and will stop at the usual destinations but are not that sure of travelling around asia on our own - though not anti this either just worried about safety? Final question (for now :) ) where is the best place for buying DVD's and computer/ electronic bits- does anyone know?

Thanks in advance

E (13 weeks to go)

Thanks Vera and Kuldalai

Sounds great,

To E, I bought all that sort of stuff in the past in Singapore, Phuket and Bangkok. I know from checking other forums that DVD in Penang and Langkawi will cost about 6 MYR, in Singapore and Phuket I used to pay about $5 AUD, of course the quality is varied, they tell me that they will tell you if the quality is OK or poor, but the usual guide to this is that the more recent the release of the movie the poorer the quality is. If you take a portable DVD player along you can check for yourself and most of them will exchange it for you.

I have looked at alot of forums and web sites and I have decided we will do our own thing in all the places except KL due to the distance from the ship. In Penang we are organizing a driver for $25 MYR per hr minimum 4hr to take us to all the places to see and shopping sites,( I found these already on the web)

Langkawi we will hire a car for the day $40 MYR and see the sights, have downloaded heaps of maps and tourist info.

Krabi will do the beach thing, Phuket will go to the Fantasea show then nightlife at Patong Beach to show partner "Thai nightlife" and the next day elephant riding and see the island on the baht bus and Tuk Tuk's,

We then go to other destinations I do not think you will go, Koh Samui,HCMC,Tioman Isand.

I am 51 and partner the same, we are very active and I know I am more than capable of finding my way as I have been there before on a few occasions. I am not sure of your age group but If you the same or younger then you should be up to it. Do your research on the net, every thing is there you just have to have the time and patience to find it, this site is a great resource but others will specialize on your individual destinations, all the prices are out there as well, search and ye shall find.

Cheers

Les

Hi E onboard,

100 baht for a dvd in Pattaya, so should be the same in Phuket. In Kota Kinabalu, MY, we paid 10 MYR. Look for a code '9' on the cover, these are the best quality. Don't wear your tour group sticker on the outside of your clothes, this identifies you as a day visitor, and more likely to have poor copies sold to you. Pick a resort name, tell the vendor you are staying there and will come back tomorrow if the dvds are not good quality.

I'm not familiar with which ports are on the straits cruise, but I'm guessing it's a west Malay coast cruise? Can't help you much with specific info, have been to Phuket, but land based hol. If you decide to venture off on your own, or buddy up with another couple and cut costs, tell the driver you have to be back at the ship one hour earlier than you need to. That way, you have an hour up your sleeve in case anything goes wrong.

In the 3 weeks we were on board, I'm not aware of anyone being left behind, but there were days when many passengers were paged just prior to departure. I imagine this was because they didn't appear to have checked back in. This happened to us in HK, we didn't look as if we were back on board because our cards didn't work when returned to the ship and we were issued new ones. Their system said we were still ashore.

Les,

The steaks are melt in your mouth delicious, cooked to your liking. The mignonettes are 2-3 inches across and best part of an inch thick and a serve is 2. Unless you like your steak cooked right thru and a little bit dried, don't mention 'well', not even 'medium-well'. I had some one night and one end of one was a bit thicker and therefore under done for me, so I put my potato on top of it while I ate the first one and the heat finished it off. We were never hungry by the end of our meal in the OP. Your mum will probably wear a cardy inside, there were quite a few out and about on the HK - Singapore leg of our cruise. There were days when it felt freezing as you came in from outside. Our cabin steward was always readjusting our cabin to 20.

Keep the questions coming!!

Tracey.