Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Hi Vera - are you packed yet? Have you planned any shore excursions for Ko Samui and HCMC? We looked on the Starcruises website and are interested in the Ko Samui Highlights one and in HCMC will probably just get the transfer into town and explore on our own (we did the HCMC Highlights/Panorama tour last time - very interesting). Maybe you could bring back some info on these for me ?? :) Thanks

Have a great time !!

Hi Ambient - hope things are picking up for you and even though there seem to be only a few people in your age group, that you are enjoying their company and activities together. Would like to know what you think of KKB when you stop there on Wednesday - I've not been there.

Boeckli - my 'lists' are ready and tomorrow is the big day to put it all together!! The Panorama tour in HCMC interests me as I'd like to see the Water Puppets - missed them when they were here in Perth during the Arts Festival. In Koh Samui we will probably do as we've done before and head out to Chaweng Beach. Friends have recently returned from a week there and said it poured the whole time - so maybe by mid June the sun will shine!

Vera

As a passenger on board this fabulous ship Singapore - Hong Kong I would say that the outbreak of the gastro was handled in an exemplary fashion by both Star and the Health department on arrival in Hong Kong . Three crew members and some ninety passengers were affected by the virus and I was one of them (for 24 hours). You report to the medical centre and they tell you what to take and do, and next morning the full medical team turned up un-announced at my cabin to check on my welfare . The hand sanitizers were at the entrances of all public restaurants, and wall mounted in many other public areas from the day the ship set sail from Singapore for pax to use . Once the medical team reported a number of pax with a problem they were moved into direct entry reception points and staff placed to make sure all pax used the sanitizers . In these cases to announce ship wide there was an outbreak of gastro would cause unnecessary concern, and the captain was wise not do so . On arrival in HK the Captain announced what most pax alaready knew, and that Chinese Health authorities would interview and investigate . This the Officers did in a very courteous and efficient manner. At the same time Star provided free refreshments to waiting pax . Regular update announcements were made by the Chinese Health people. It was all very well handled by both Star and HK Officials .

Finally an outbreak of this type of gastro can be caused by many sources and almost certainly was not caused by on-board food or its preparation as HK Officials said Star facilities and procedures were excellent on inspection . The most likely cause was pax coughing and spluttering without the common courtesy of placing their hand over their mouths .

The Marriners buffet is more than adequate for breakfast or a light lunch, and the fabulous Ocean Palace and the fabulous staff in there is the go for a more formal lunch or dinner . Don't worry about choice the range is endless and changes daily, and all of restaurant quality .

Koh Samui is a tender port. Transfer to the pier takes 25 minutes or so.

Laem Chebang (Bangkok), Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang, Hong Kong are all dockside ports .

Highlight of the trip the full day HUE Highlights tour out of Da Nang port; dissapointment was Pattaya transfer out of Laem Chebang (Bangkok) a real dump once you get back one street from the beach , best stay on board or go up to Bangkok for the day .

Safes in cabins. People kept losing the keys, so you pay $ 250 Singapore deposit on the key .(and get it back on return of the key.)

If your'e contemplating a cabin upgrade arrange it immediately you baord before sailing. We got upgrade to a sensational Junior Suite for a rate that would not buy you a hotel room in Melbourne .

Vietnam Visas . You are charged $ 30 by Star in your fare which covers single visit visa which they (Star) arrange for you . At first port in Vietnam you collect a numbered piece of Vietnamese Paper and that is checked by Vietnamese Immigration each time you get on and off boat in Vietnamese ports . At last port of call in Vietnam they collect from you and keep the paper visa visit pass on re-boarding SS GEMINI .

Entertainment wise fabulous dance band in Galaxy of the Stars, Murray a fantastic US Magician, stunning troupe of Chinese Acrobats, and a great night where various members of the crew entertained the pax .

Those booked to go have no fears . SS GEMINI is great little ship with a fantastic crew who deliver exemplary service that puts most Aussie businesses to shame. We had a fabulous time and have booked already for an Australian Itinerary, and will do Hong Kong - Singapore leg on SS GEMINI next year.

Hi Kuldalai - thanks for your report good to hear the positives! Have you met up with Bruce and Tracey? Enjoy the rest of your trip - wish there was a web cam but have been keeping an eye on your itinerary. I'm looking forward to when we board in two weeks.

Vera

kuldalai, thanks for your most welcome and informative report. It is so good to hear that Gemini is still performing brilliantly and giving all the pax a good time.

Yes, the crew/staff are fabulous and look out for everyones welfare.

Very happy that you are enjoying your time aboard Gemini.

Best,

Mike

Hi Kuldalai

We are leaving for 14 days on September 16th, looking forward to it very much, How many piece is the big band in the showroom, do they have a brass in their band. What sort of music have they been playing.

What do you think the chances of upgrades would be on my cruise. Can you post some of the daily programs/activities for us to see.

How has the weather been. Good I hope.

Hope you are enjoying it. Let us know how the shorex have been and maybe what sort of costs they range from.

thanks

Les

Kuldalai - thanks for the most informative update (especially on safe and visa issues). Having experienced Starcruises crew and their efficiency onboard SSV I am certain that it would not be any different on the Gemini (yes, a lot of aussie business can learn a thing or two from them ...). We sailed on SSV at the outbreak of SARS time and at no time did we feel that the ship's cleanliness would compromise the health situation.

Glad to hear that you're having a good time despite catching the gastro problem - enjoy the rest of your trip and hopefully tell us about it on your return. :)

The SS GEMINI Big Band plays in the Galaxy of the Stars nightly, it is eight pieces or so. Phillipinos who are always fabulous musos . Instrumental and vocals, yes soft brass I think. Play all popular music types for mature adults for conventional dancing . Great band, so easy to dance to and just delightful.

Your chance of getting an upgrade on board will depend on how heavily the ship is booked . Just enquire at reception on Deck 5 immediately on boarding and they will handle it for you . If you arrange an upgrade they charge it to your credit card and transfer all the big bags etc for you . Good upgrade options from an outside stateroom with window (type CB) are to larger outside stateroom with window (CA or CAB) or Junior Suite which we found fabulous (AC or AD). If your'e on a big celebration / anniversary event then the top shelf staterooms are the Owners suites which are sensational (AA or AB).

The weather the whole way was good and I could not believe how flat the South China Sea was with an average swell 1 - 2.5m which with the stabilizers made for a very smooth trip. (No noticeable roll at all.)

Daily programs - they issue you with a daily activities & info sheet called STAR NAVIGATOR which details a wide range of activities from early morning to the wee hours . If you e-mail me direct at kuldalai@pipeline.com.au happy to e-mail you a JPG of one day program as an example .

Excursions wise : In Koh Samui we went on the Elephant riding which was a full circumnavigation of island (not on the elephant!); Laem Chebang (Bangkok) we went to Pattaya which apart from the beach was pretty seedy, those that did full day Bangkok sights seemed very happy; Ho Chi Minh City we did Pedi cab and full day city tour on next day which were both excellent; at Da Nang we did HUE Highlights which was the best tour of our entire trip, gave great trip up mountain pass, great vista countryside Vietnam, plus all the lovely old French colonial buildings in the old imperial capital of Hue . With limited time in Hong Kong do your own thing by taxi etc which are cheap - ship to Star Ferry terminal walk then Star Ferry to HK Island - take taxi to base peak tram station, take peak tram one way to top, then taxi to Stanley Market . Take public express bus back to Admiralty then Star Ferry or MTR back to Kowloon side . Best shopping is jewellery, watches, electronics and best area is in the maze of streets in Kowloon between the Ocean Terminal and Nathan Road . You can walk back to ship at ocean terminal. Don't be afraid to use MTR (underground railway) it is dual signed , cheap, clean and easy to use . Leaving HK at 2100 at night you will get a fabulous light show from the skyscrapers on both sides of the harbour . This is a nightly event with flood and strobe lights mounted on some 43 buildings .

kuldalai, again, thanks for your most informative post.

Let me add to your comments about shopping in Hong Kong.

If you cross Nathan Road, which is the main street in Kowloon, you can find better bargains on streets such as Cameron Road, Canarvon Road.

Also if time permits, there is the great Temple Street Night Market, which is off of Jordan Road.

Here you can find everything from A to Z. Great prices if you are bargain savvy. The Night Market usually opens at 6pm. Going back to the ship from here I suggest catching a Taxi just to make sure you arrive on time for your boarding.

Being a very frequent visitor to Hong Kong (usually monthly;) ) I can verify that all these streets are within walking distance of the Passenger Ship Terminal.Perhaps 20 minutes or longer, depending how far down these streets you wish to go.

Happy cruising everyone.

Ciao,

Mike

The weather the whole way was good and I could not believe how flat the South China Sea was with an average swell 1 - 2.5m which with the stabilizers made for a very smooth trip. (No noticeable roll at all.)

In 2003 we did Singapore/HCMC/Kota Kinabalu - flat water throughout (apparently it's like that all the time - we were very surprised as well)

Excursions wise : In Koh Samui we went on the Elephant riding which was a full circumnavigation of island (not on the elephant!)

Did you ride on an elephant? Does that excursion necessitate any strenuous activity (elephant riding/ox cart is mentioned) or is it feasible/enjoyable to be a spectator in these things?

Thanks again for your commentary.

Yes the Elephant ride tour actually circumnavigates the island by bus (70kms) and in the process you visit a spectacular waterfall, a rubber plantation, lunch at a coastal restaurant, an actual 15 - 20 minute ride on the elephants, a baby elephant show, a baby monkey show, an actual ox cart ride, and a brief Thai cooking class on how to prepare a Thai salad with hot chilli dressing that just breathes fire for hours afterwards!!!! (A little green chilli lasts a long time on the palate.)

The Marriners buffet is more than adequate for breakfast or a light lunch, and the fabulous Ocean Palace and the fabulous staff in there is the go for a more formal lunch or dinner . Don't worry about choice the range is endless and changes daily, and all of restaurant quality .

Of course it's more than adequate.. However, I can tell you how dinner is arranged on the way in.. 1 type of soup, then some cheese, then salad - lettuce, cumcumber and usually tomatoes. Then some pasta salad - generally 3 types never really changes. Then the hot bayonettes - generally a choice of 3 hot meals; always seafood and chicken and meat along with some rice and greens. At the end there's bread and that's about it. The desert part isn't much either - photos and reviews over other ships (even the Virgo) are much better and bigger than this.

The range in ocean palace is trickery - take tonight for example breat of chicken and chicken mignionettes - we ordered both. they came out with the same source; the only difference was how the chicken was diced and that one came with a loaded potato instead of greens - I could've swapped the dishes and not have known any differences. It's the same with the fillet steak and the beef mignionettes - didn't you notice that at all whilst dining there?

Anyway - all the food is of good quality, you're entitled to your own opinions but as for my own the quad variety available in each dining room is not adequate IMO.

On a side note - a good thing to remember is that on this cruise they really attempt to push tours and they're more expensive than the virgo tours for some bizzare reason. They don't actively advertise that they have shuttle busses either and for S$15 pp that's the way to go!!

Laslty back to the virus stuff - we've had some more become sick - we've still got around 15 people with it and it seems to be a very stubborn thing to get rid of even with all the sanitizors in place still.

Anyway will sum up more when back on dry land!

Happy cruising :)

Just back from our Far East travels in Shanghai and Hong Kong and dropping in to reassure those sailing soon on the Gemini that the ship's Norovirus has been 'contained' and no further new cases according to the latest news that we heard while we were in HK.

We saw the SS Gemini docked in the HK harbour last Thursday, pretty impressive sight from the roads going up Victoria peak, as well as from the observation station on top of the peak.

If any of you folks want to do some bargain shopping while in HK then try the Temple Street Night Market (as mentioned by Mike) off Jordan Road, parallel to Nathan Road and opposite Eaton or Nathan hotel. This market should be closer to the ship than the Ladies Market in Mongkok.

If any of you folks are staying in Eaton hotel and need an English speaking taxi/tour guide (at very good rates) then ask the Conceirge to call up 'KC Chan' and he will look after you. We booked him for whole day private tours in HK and Lantau island at much less than the official tour rates.

Hi Mike ~ did'nt know that you frequent HK at least once a month or I could catch up with you when we were there for 4 days last week.

Hope to sail with Libra from Taiwan soon:D.

Cheerio.............James:)

Hi All

Why don't they like to advertise the fact that they have a free shuttle bus service at each port. Also if one gets off at a tendered port eg: Phuket or Koh Samui and one wants to come back early, how do you get back, does it a have a boat on standby or whats the deal. In some places I wouldn't want to wait all day for a ride back.

Is there anywhere where you can just do a 1/2 hour Elephant trip for lets say around the $30 - $50 mark what goes in the jungle.

thanks all

Les

94 Days to Go

Hi, I've loved reading all about the Gemini here - do any of you know why Cruise Critic don't include SuperStar Gemini in the lists of ships to write a review on? I've emailed admin about it a few times over the last several weeks and had 2 responses, both saying good idea, we'll do it.......but nothing changes.

We leave Sydney this Saturday (3 sleeps!) for our cruise on the Gemini

To Kuldali

Thanks for the response to the e/mail. Very informative and gives me more to ponder on. Its a pity they don't have a cruise website to get updates or a daily running sheet of activities. Do they change it daily/weekly/monthly and is it recurring?

regards

Les

1. For reviews on GEMINI go to cruise reviews>Other lines> SS Gemini

2. The transfer bus services from the ship dockside available in some ports

viz: Laem Chebang, Da Nang are NOT FREE . You buy them at the tour desk and they are advertised as part of the tour program .

If you use the one to Pattaya ex Laem Chebang they give a nominated departure time and point for the return trip.

3. Two very extensive briefings were given by the brilliant Colin Kerr in the Galaxy of the Stars (listed in Star Navigator as activities) on departure from Singapore. The first on Sunday afternoon gave all the info for those interested in taking the on shore set excursions. The second briefing the following (Monday ) morning gave all the details for those wanting to do their own thing at each port . This included details of independent transport, taxis, proximity, things to see to. Shopping and dining tips etc . Info sheets were also distributed for each port including maps .

Whilst the tours were promoted, the shuttle and indepent tour options were also fully briefed to those pax who wished to attend the free briefings . People need to understand that all Cruise Companies make their real money from the sale of alcohol, gaming and tours etc; not really from the baisc cruise . e:g: A Junior Stateroom costs around $ 400Aus a day which covers

accommodation, three restaurant meals of best quality plus transport from A to B . Any decent hotel room will cost you $ 180 bed only alone in Aus.

4. For the record GEMINI was in Hong Kong Wednesday 30/05/07 from approx 0900 to 2100 and when it sailed at 2100 the view was just magical watching Gemini depart down HK harbour to all the harbour lights as viewed from up at Victoria Peak.

5. My travel agent tells me bookings are going very well for the SS GEMINI Australian itineraries; in fact the two departures ex Perth to Broome are said to have sold out .

Thanks Kuldalai

Will Colin Kerr be the CD on the Sept 16th trip? Now from what I gather, Port Klang is dockside, Penang is dockside, Langkawi is tender, Phuket is dockside at Phuket Town? Koh Samui is tender, Ho Chih Mingh is dockside, Tioman is tender. All correct I hope. So, once dropped off with a tender you have to stay there at least a few hours I would presume before any tender went back, or would they have them on stand by. I remember once in Pattaya where we were dropped off on the coral island and were stuck there all day until the boat came back, not very enjoyable for my mum stuck in the sun all day with nothing to do.

Is Port Klang in itself interesting and have shops to look at as I don't think 4 hours total on a bus to go to KL is worth the trouble.

regards'

Les

Thanks Kuldalai

Will Colin Kerr be the CD on the Sept 16th trip? Now from what I gather, Port Klang is dockside, Penang is dockside, Langkawi is tender, Phuket is dockside at Phuket Town? Koh Samui is tender, Ho Chih Mingh is dockside, Tioman is tender. All correct I hope. So, once dropped off with a tender you have to stay there at least a few hours I would presume before any tender went back, or would they have them on stand by. I remember once in Pattaya where we were dropped off on the coral island and were stuck there all day until the boat came back, not very enjoyable for my mum stuck in the sun all day with nothing to do.

Is Port Klang in itself interesting and have shops to look at as I don't think 4 hours total on a bus to go to KL is worth the trouble.

regards'

Les

Hi Les, Port Klang is dockside, Penang I am sure we tendered but it was only a 2 minute trip - they had a special tender that came from shore not the usual lifeboats, Langkawi was dockside and Phutket is dockside. Port Klang there is nothing there except the dock and a small museum attached to the dock. It will take you all of 5 minutes to do the full tour there. If you are not going to KL stay on the ship and do your washing. You need to catch a bus at Langkawi as well because there is nothing at the dock. Phuket there is a market at the dock - the prices there were comparable to the main drag without all the hasstles although the range is much less. Mummsie :D

Thanks Mummsie

I don't want to be caught again in a position of wasting valuable time doing the typical " seen one ,seen them all " scenario. One market is just the same as the other only different 'styles" of junk or trinkets. I am guessing that there would be better entertainment on the boat as well as decent food. I personally do not think 8 hours in any port will really give me a decent insight into all the places of varying interest. One temple is like the other.

I am interested in other opinions if they found the ship activities more of interest in the long run than some of the shorex.

Also in the brochure it says that selected beverages are supplied with meals. is a glass of wine one of the included ones.

thanks all

Les

93 Days to go!

Thanks Mummsie

I don't want to be caught again in a position of wasting valuable time doing the typical " seen one ,seen them all " scenario. One market is just the same as the other only different 'styles" of junk or trinkets. I am guessing that there would be better entertainment on the boat as well as decent food. I personally do not think 8 hours in any port will really give me a decent insight into all the places of varying interest. One temple is like the other.

I am interested in other opinions if they found the ship activities more of interest in the long run than some of the shorex.

Also in the brochure it says that selected beverages are supplied with meals. is a glass of wine one of the included ones.

thanks all

Les

93 Days to go!

Generally all alcoholic beverages need to be paid for - I have not heard of any wine been included with a meal. Typically you would have tea/coffee served with desert.

If you decide to stay onboard at any of the ports, you'll probably find that there will be limited activities offered during those times, as most passengers go ashore (makes for quiet leasure time onboard ... but beware, it may be noisy from the dockside if there are other ships in port, loading supplies etc.) We once spent the day onboard at Port Klang only to be annoyed by constant noise from another Starcruises ship lying alongside :(

BTW - according to the Starcruises website itineraries, Phuket is a tender port :confused:

In the end it's your decision on what to do (or not do) in each port.

In Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) again there is nothing at the port, so take a tour or ship's transfer to the city (there may be taxis available but I would feel safer on the ship's transport). HCMC is believe is the one place not to miss - we have been to various places in Asia as well, but HCMC was an experience in itself.

With regard to tenders, they have boats running all the time, you will not need to be ashore for hours at a time (there may be a short wait, say 15-20 mins for the next boat).

Thanks Boeckli

Im sure when you get back you will have even more updated news, then I go 30 days after you.

Its good to know that one can get back to the ship on a tender reasonably quickly. I read on another travel diary from an Aussie that they all were given complimentary bus trips for the whole trip. I would like that to happen on our trip. It would help with the $$$ situation a little bit and leave more to spend elsewhere.

cheers

Les

Unless the port is really the pits or you have been there before not much sense in staying on board, as activity program on board is scaled down; and only Marriners Buffet is open for lunch when vessel is in port .

In Ho Chi Minh City SS GEMINI berths at the foot of the CBD and you get Interesting Points & City Map sheet free from Shore Excursion desk . Here self exploration of the City area is quite an option as all the things you need to see are within a pretty compact area. Just take a taxi from outside the wharf gate up town for a few US $ . Places to see Unification Palace, Water Puppets, China Town, Central Market, Notre Dame Cathedral, the beautiful Post Office (originally intended to be a railway station), and re-unification Palace . To get back to ship just show the taxi driver a Star Slip they give you on dis-embarkation at each port that lists address of wharf and contact emergency phone numbers, and last on-board back times . However a lower cist way to take in all of this is to do the pedicab tour on the afternoon of arrival which visits the War Remnants Museum and central HCMC. Next day (Sat) take the full day HCMC tour and it visits all the rest with adeqaute shopping time at Central Market .

The motor scooters are everywhere like locusts in HCMC .If crossing the road don't stop or you may well be run over , Just do as the locals do walk straight across with caution and the motor cyclists will ride around you . Believe me it works .

Tender boats in Koh Samui operate to/from SS GEMINI at regular intervals and village at wharf offers good range of retail and eateries within easy walking distance of pier for self explorers.

Laem Chebang (Bangkok Port) is a container terminal miles from anything.

Four options here stay on board, take the bus transfer to Pattaya (pretty scruffy and dissapointing once you get back from the beachfront), bus transfer to central Bangkok then do your own thing (about 2 hrs each way), and bus inclusive tour of Bangkok highlights which is best option if you have not been to Bangkok before . Da Nang - nothing at the port and long way by taxi into town . Either bus transfer into town, or take the Hue Highlights which we found fantastic . Hong Kong - take the set tour, or Ocean terminal is right in the heart of Kowloon and you can do your own thing. See earlier posts for my and Mikes recommendations for self explorers

Hope this helps and assists , intending sailors .

Would like to know what you think of KKB when you stop there on Wednesday - I've not been there.

Hi Westaussie - we *loved* KKB and wanted to stay there more. From my point of view it's like Ho Chi Min city but without all the huge crowds... The shopping is great and we picked up some great bargains there. I could definately go back there and spend a week - just like Hong Kong - day visits are just not good enough! :)

It's a real pity the the Gemini decided to port at some places where there's nothing other than container ports. Shuttles are required to get you into the market areas and that's great, however lots of complaints from pax asking why the shuttles discontinue at 4:30 when the markets stay open way later; the response is generally that's what Saigon Tours (who SS uses) provides and that's it. Otherwise it's taxi's or motorbikes.

We arrived tomorrow in Kuching - looking forward to spending the last of my ringits :)

Just back from our Far East travels in Shanghai and Hong Kong and dropping in to reassure those sailing soon on the Gemini that the ship's Norovirus has been 'contained' and no further new cases according to the latest news that we heard while we were in HK./quote]

I guess a little more of an update on this. There's been some more cases reported, but the use of sanitisors has really culled this thing. Within the past 48 hours there's now a flu and also bronchites going around and lots of people are now on antibiotics with cough suspressant :) Ahh well, these things must be expected in close quarters; however I can definately say without a doubt that the trip from HK back to SG is better than the one to SG (major reason is that I didn't like Vietnam and the overnight stays there).

We also took some new passengers on at KKB! Looks like around 10 or so and they're going to SG just for a small trip (perhaps these are last minute things that go cheap when the ship isn't full).