Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Hi Bruce, and all Gemini lovers, in this morning's West Australian (p.7) there's an advert for Gemini cruises based in Fremantle from this November to January 08. One in particular looks interesting 26 nights round Australia and PNG. Hope this is the start of more Star cruises from WA!

Vera

Hi all, sorry have not been able to respond until now, but we’re right in the middle of Stocktake, which I’ve got to get done before the boss will let me go cruising, and the B..dy computer system fell over and we lost everything, bugger!:mad:

Anyway we’re back up again now, and I’ve got the “cat of nine tails” out, so everyone is getting stuck into it.:p

So those of you on the first half only, you all have a good cruise, and the ones on the second half, we will see you on the Gemini in a couple of weeks time.

Hi Vera, interesting that they are going to send the Gemini to Aus at the end of the year, sorry but I did 10 years of “cruising” around Aus, NZ and PNG when I was in the Navy, so will opt for the more exotic cruises.;)

By the way I have submitted a small piece to the West on "Cruising", which they will be publishing in their Cruising Special in the Travel Section on the Sat 9th June, and I will sign autographs later!

If I don’t catch you lot before, I'll write up a "Just Back Report" after we get back, so till we meet on the high seas, I wish you all smooth seas and a fair wind.:)

Regards, Bruce

Star Cruises website reveals that SS GEMINI will be relocated to Australian waters this summer offering over a 3 month period a number of itineraries from 7 days right around the Australian Coast including a complete circumnavigation Fremantle to Fremantle and placement trips to and from Singapore . No itineraies on their website yet, but release says bookings open on 21/05/07 .

Hi Kuldalai - Bookings are already open with TAs and internet (e.g. Best Cruises and Creative Cruising) Just had a look at the itineraries/prices there so that I can compare the on board price (assuming one can do that with Star Cruises). Qld over the top to Perth is the part that interests me!

Vera

Hi Tracey,

It was advertised in the local paper here (in WA).

Have a look at this link, it will give you an idea on itineraries

http://www.holidayplanet.com.au/newsletter/newsletter.php

We are really tempted to do the Fremantle to Fremantle cruise. Does anyone know if there are quad cabins on the Gemini, either inside or ocean view? With a holiday already booked for this year and another cruise next year, budget doesn't allow for 2 cabins:rolleyes:

Thanks

Justine

Hi Justine,

Thanks for the tip. These cruises look great. I wonder how Gemini gets back to Fremantle......... there must be a return cruise but it's not mentioned.

If anyone hears about the relocation cruise Fremantle to Singapore, I'd be interested.

Tracey.

Hi Tracey

Gemini's return to Singapore is from Brisbane 1st Feb via Cairns, PNG, Bali. Seventeen days. If you get into www.bestcruises.com.au (or any of the other on line agencies - creativecruising etc) you will get detailed itinerary and pricing.

Yes, John, I think we're all happy to have Gemini cruising from Perth and hope it is a success for Star Cruises so it becomes an ongoing venture!

Vera

Hi,

Thanks for the info everyone, I found some good items. This one of particular interest that I hadn't seen before........... a 4 page report on the Gemini. Makes it all very real being able to see so many pics.

www.maritimematters.com/superstargemini1.html

Roll on Sunday!!

Tracey.

Thanks for the link - certainly some good pics in there and quite informative.

Hi everyone,

For your reference, Star Cruises has just published the official itineraries for SuperStar Gemini Australia cruises.

Here is the link: http://www.starcruises.com/Itineraries/Australia/index.html

I'll bet this is making for some very happy Aussie cruisers.

Itins look great.

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike - Yes, I'm sure there are alot of happy Aussies to see Gemini in our waters. If you haven't been to this part of the world you have no excuse now!! And I'm sure you'll be welcomed by many of us to whom you have given so much help and advice!

Boeckli - we are doing the same Gemini cruise as you but on 17 June. Have been to Koh Samui but the other two ports are new to us. Hope Tioman Island is as good for swimming as the Perhensian Islands - stopped there on the Leo years ago.

We had a Jnr Suite on the Gemini last time, I think there was an in-cabin safe but not 100% sure.

Vera

"Hi Mike - Yes, I'm sure there are alot of happy Aussies to see Gemini in our waters. If you haven't been to this part of the world you have no excuse now!! And I'm sure you'll be welcomed by many of us to whom you have given so much help and advice!"

Hi Vera,

Yup, I'll bet there are many happy people in your part of the world to know that Gemini will be there. And, I have indeed been to your lovely country and had a fabulous time, thanks of course, to the Aussies themselves and their wonderful hospitality. Not to mention the great BBQ's:)

Vera just knowing that there are those in Australia whom would welcome me, makes me feel just so good! Thanks for that.

It's my pleasure to help wherever and whenever I can.

Hope to meet up with you some day soon. Really!

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike - from what I have read you seem to be the resident expert here :D

Do you know (or can you find out) if the Gemini goes up-river to Ho Chi Minh City proper or stops at Vung Tau (mouth of the river). With the Virgo in 2003 we went all the way up the river and docked in HCMC harbour, then bus ride into the city. The trip up the river is a great experience by the way :)

Also, can you answer my earlier question about in-cabin safe for an AD?

Thanks in advance.

Boeckli - we are doing the same Gemini cruise as you but on 17 June. Have been to Koh Samui but the other two ports are new to us. Hope Tioman Island is as good for swimming as the Perhensian Islands - stopped there on the Leo years ago.

We had a Jnr Suite on the Gemini last time, I think there was an in-cabin safe but not 100% sure.

Vera

Hi Vera - Seeing you go B4 us, hopefully you can pass some tips on your return ;)

We have been to all three ports, Ko Samui and HCMC on the SuperStar Virgo and we spent 10 days on Tioman last year. As far as swimming there is concerned, it may depend on where they dock (maybe Mike will know or can find out) and the tide as well. There was a fair tidal variation at the resort we stayed at, so swimming was not always possible.

Would you possibly have any pictures of the jnr suite? Have not been able to find any good ones yet :(

Hi boeckli,

All suites onboard Gemini have cabin safes.

Regarding if Gemini will sail all the way up river on your cruise, at the moment Ido not have the answer, but I will do my best to get it for you.

Best,

Mike

P.S. I have some photos of Suites onboard Gemini, but I am in China at the moment and cannot access them. When I get back to Taipei I will be glad to post them.

Mike - Thank you for the info. It would be nice if you could post the pics on your return.

Hazel - Officially I believe you are not allowed to. For liquor purchases during shore visits (like at Langkawi) they normally take it when you get back to the ship and then give it back to you at the end of the cruise. If we would all bring our duty free liquor onboard, they would not sell anything in the bars ....

Dateline Thursday from aboard SS GEMINI en route between Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City . Have,t come across Traceyleigh yet, boat is full of Aussies, Kiwis, a few To & Froms . Bruce hope this reaches your eyes before you depart WA. Lots of west Aussies on board too .

Safes are $ 250 deposit for the key . Yes SS GEMINI goes 4 hours up the river right to dock at base of city area in Ho Chi Minh City.

Colin Kerr was on board Singapore - Koh Samui to Laem Chebang en route to a job on shore for Star .

Sea is like a mill pond , staff and service beyond reproach, food too much of it for my bulging waistline ! For those joining in Hong Kong your'e going to love SS GEMINI. Word on board is that some of the Australain itineraries have sold out already after only 4 days . Must go Captains Gala Dinner tonight .

Hi Kuldalai, and all you lucky lot on SS Gemini,

Last day at work today, supposed to have the Stocktake finished today before I go, and guess what, the “System” fell over last night and none of my valuation reports have run, might have to work over the weekend, just as well I packed my bags a month ago!:p

Anyway so glad to hear that you are all having a super time on Gemini, hope you don’t eat and drink them out of supplies before we get there, I suppose that because of the passenger demographics, one could expect to get real bacon for breakfast?;)

Anyway fly out Monday morning, and will catch up with Gemini on Wednesday.

Happy cruising.:)

Regards, Bruce