Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Hi Riviera 30 and welcome. Hope you have found answers to your questions but fire away if you haven't.

There will be a couple of 'formal' nights where majority will wear jacket and tie - otherwise trousers/shirt in the evenings. You will need some local currency particularly for taxis. We change Aussie dollars at a money changer outside Patong Beach shops and in the larger shopping centres in Langkawi. Though I'm sure ATMs are everywhere.

We're on the Gemini in a couple of weeks' time - one of my favourite ships - so really looking forward to this trip.

Vera

Hi Les, You will love the Gemini for dancing. I am a competition ballroom dancer and when we were on last year they had fantastic dancing. Before dinner in the main show lounge and also in the bar right up the top - can't remember the deck now as we have been on a couple of ships since. Dress code in reality is good casual. They would not allow shorts or tshirts into the dining room in the evening but a pair of casual trousers and a polo got by most of the time. The only night which is a little more dressy is the Captains dinner night. We didn't go because we didn't take any good clothes but we could have got by ok with what we had. Just a good pair of trousers and a business shirt would have been ok and a nice coctail dress for your lady.

We found the entertainment (shows) were top class especially for such a relatively small ship. They had 4 live bands playing in different venues each night so there was always something to listen too.

You should book your tours from the ship - they open up the tour booking desk the afternoon you embark - get in early for the ones you want. You fill out the forms and from memory they gave the tickets out straight away. For any you book a few days in advance they put the tickets in the pocket outside your stateroom door. One tour not too miss is the night one in Phuket. It was amazing.

We have been on quite a few cruises now and we never book private tours - if something happens and you are delayed they leave without you. If you have a tour booked by the ship, they will wait for you. Not worth taking the risk of being stranded.

You will need cash for most places even if its just to buy food while you are out. You can change your money on the ship. If you buy food make sure its cooked fresh and don't eat anything cold like salads. We actually ate in McDonalds in Phuket and KL as it was the safer option. Mummsie

Hi Les,

It has been far too long since we were last on the Gemini but I am hoping to rectify that within the next 12 months or so. We travelled her in 1997 and 2001.

We found back then, that a navy blue reefer (sports) jacket and tie over the ubiquitous grey pants seemed to look smart for the Captain's gala. You could also hire a jacket from the ship if you did not want to pack one for the one or two nights that you would wear it. Other nights, DH wore a nice shirt and trousers to the dining room. Casual pants and polo shirts are fine for the buffet or upstairs.

For myself, black trousers or evening pants and a couple of sparkly tops seemed to fill the bill.

I recall that dancing was a big part of the cruises on Gemini. There was a live band playing in the lounge from late afternoon until evening and also another band upstairs by the pool where they would run salsa classes etc.

Don't know if it is still the same, but I am sure there will be plenty of music to dance to.

Enjoy!

Hi All

Westaussie,Mummsie,Cinnabel,

Thanks for the replies,really looking forward to the experience. As already mentioned we are departing on 16th September. Is any one on this cruise?

Does the ship dock alongside everywhere. We are going to KL,Penang,Langkawi,Krabi,Phuket,Koh Samui,Ho Chi Minh,Tioman.

Is there suffieicent time to get to the Fantasea in Phuket as the ship arrives at night and the Fantasea starts 8.30pm ish?

I thought of doing the KL ship tour as others have mentioned, Langkawi arrival is on holy day I think, is it worth doing anything or styaing on boat? Are Pax more western or asian? Is the social scene ie: meeting other couples similar very good? I am also travelling with my Mother, is older age group well catered for. What is an average cost of shorex on Gemini as I gather it is best to book straight away on embarkation.

Thanks again all

This a a great forum by the wayicon14.gif

Les

Hi All

Westaussie,Mummsie,Cinnabel,

Thanks for the replies,really looking forward to the experience. As already mentioned we are departing on 16th September. Is any one on this cruise?

Does the ship dock alongside everywhere. We are going to KL,Penang,Langkawi,Krabi,Phuket,Koh Samui,Ho Chi Minh,Tioman.

Is there suffieicent time to get to the Fantasea in Phuket as the ship arrives at night and the Fantasea starts 8.30pm ish?

I thought of doing the KL ship tour as others have mentioned, Langkawi arrival is on holy day I think, is it worth doing anything or styaing on boat? Are Pax more western or asian? Is the social scene ie: meeting other couples similar very good? I am also travelling with my Mother, is older age group well catered for. What is an average cost of shorex on Gemini as I gather it is best to book straight away on embarkation.

Thanks again all

This a a great forum by the wayicon14.gif

Les

The ship docks alongside at Port Klang but then its about an hour drive to KL. Penang I have a feeling was a tender but quite close to the city. Langkawi is a dock and about a 20 minute drive to the city. We went on holy day. There are a few things open - prices aren't particularly good - cameras were dearer than buying them in Harvey Norman. Good to stretch the legs though. We missed Krabi because it was too rough to anchor so had an extra day at Phuket. If the ship organises the Fantasea trip they will get you there on time. We had about 5 bus loads on our trip. Can't help with the other ports as we only did a 7 dayer.

When we travelled about 80% of passengers were Aussies, the remainder made of of Asian and European travellers. We aren't particularly social (we enjoy our own company) so we didn't reall mix too much with other passengers but there were lots of folks who did. Its up to you. Your mother should be fine. There are usually quite a lot of seniors on these trips as its an easy way for them to travel. Can't remember the cost of Shorex but its wasn't as expensive as some we have booked. Mummsie:D

Thanks again Mummsie

I didnt think it would be so quick getting replies. It seems there must be alot of people sitting around doing nothing ( LOL ) I am actually home sick for the last 2 days so I am busy trolling the web for as much info. Tomorrow its back to work but I am at the computer most of the day so I will check the forum to see what else is new.

We also both enjoy our own company but sometimes its good to mix, especially if they are dancers and we get the chance to swap around and pick up some new steps or tips.

It sounds like you both cruise all the time for your holidays. We normally stay at resorts.

last year spent 5 weeks in Bangkok. Very long holiday as we spent 2 weeks in Bangkok, 1.5 weeks in Chang Mai and 1.5 weeks in Pattaya.

I am sure this will be a totally new experience which we are all awaiting anxiously.

:) Les

We we enjoy the cruising experience as its a good way to see the world plus be entertained and be pampered. Dancing is also our form of exercise on the ships as well as walking up and down the stairs and going for a walk around the deck each day. I just find cruising so relaxing. We have just got back from the Norwegian Sun - dancing on it was the worst we have come across. Usually there is only about 4 or 6 of us dancing but this trip there were dozens all trying to squeeze onto a tiny club sized floor. The only time we had the floor to ourselves was when they put a tango or meringue on.!! Still enjoyed ourselves though and we went up every day for a shuffle around the floor.

I think you will find that there will be very few who dance well who will want to change partners. Every cruise except the last we have been on, we have been the only trained dancers, I have found people usually stick to themselves as they feel comfortable. Mummsie

Hi Mummise

A atngo or Merengue will do it all the time! I would have personally thought of a salsa myself. It is the hardest for most non musical people to find the beat, especially beat 1! We are still at a medium level, we know mostly basic moves but expand and impro on these, so we manage to look reasonably fluent on the floor, I mean there are pleanty who can dance better but I am sure there a plent who are worse or cant put 2 steps together. it is great excersice and we go out dancing 3 nights a week, 1 night for lessons and the other 2 social.

We also intended to do long walks around the decks as well as the gym.

Looking forward to all that hot tropical weather instead of a rainy Melbourne day like today.

Les

We don't enjoy salsa or samba so we don't do those ones. We are currently dancing - Monday Night (Argentine Tango), I am on staff and teach ballroom Wednesday night at our studio. Lesson Thursday Night and Practice Saturday arvo for 3 hours. Both my kids also dance so I see quite a lot of them even though they are adults. They are both competing this coming Saturday up at Toowoomba. We would normally have been competing too but still not back in shape or stamina from the holiday we have just come back from. As well as the cruise on the Norwegian Sun we did a train trip across the Rockies from Vancouver to Jasper and then did a bus trip from Jasper to Calgary so we were away from dancing for 4 weeks. Enough time to lose a huge amount of fitness.!!! Mummsie:D

Well you are in different league than us! How ever as long as one is into it then thats the main thing. You must be good if you have your own studio. Do you have plenty of pupils? Plenty of walking will get the stamina back.

The hardest thing about holidays is knowing how much is enough. I know you can never have enough money but what is enough to still enjoy yourself with. Usually my card gets a flogging and the next 3-4 months are trying to get back on track. I usually like to get clothes made at the tailors and plenty of CD and DVD from the markets or the like. I get as much software as I lay my hands on and of course jewellery. I am also buying my partner clothes and the like. The good thing is our currency is strong at the moment and we get good rate.

Did they have seafood on the menu as in crayfish? I love seafood.

I hope we can get our drinks aboard in our suitcases OK.

Cheers

Les

Hi all,

Yes, there were about 90 pax and crew who were hit with the Norovirus onboard Gemini. It is reported that some pax were sick when they boarded the ship in Singapore.

Anyway, the Gemini was thoroughly cleaned and disinfected while in Hong Kong. No visitors were allowed onboard during this cleaning. Not even staff from other Star Cruises ships in Hong Kong.

Everything should be find and dandy now. Hope the pax are recovering and all will go well for them on the return leg to Singapore.

Best,

Mike

Hi Vera,

I too hope all is well with Tracey and Bruce.

You are so right in what you say about the hand sanitizers.

I use them ALL the time. Not just when there is an outbreak. I carry them with me all the time and use the ship's sanitizers whenever I enter an eating venue or bar/lounge.

Better safe than sorry.

Mike

Hi, Well the Norwalk was way under control when Gemini arrived in HK, only authorities was very un familiar to such a situation. Only about 15 Passengers still had symptoms when the ship arrived in HK, and even less when they departed. I believe that the situation now is as normal as can be expected when sailing in areas with spicy asian food in tempting food stalls ashore

Hi, Well the Norwalk was way under control when Gemini arrived in HK, only authorities was very un familiar to such a situation. Only about 15 Passengers still had symptoms when the ship arrived in HK, and even less when they departed. I believe that the situation now is as normal as can be expected when sailing in areas with spicy asian food in tempting food stalls ashore

Thanks for the update OKNO - are you currently onboard as a passenger ?

Hi,

No I am working onboard

Hi - it's nice to hear from someone working on the ship for a change. Can you tell us what you do (would we meet you as a passenger or are you behind the scenes)?

Looking forward to cruising on Gemini on Aug 5 :)

Hi Mike, Hi Vera, Reading my mail this morning has made me very nervous. NOVAVIRUS? SANITIZERS? I'm new to all this. Please explain. Sounds like something I really should get a handle on before joining the Gemini in HK in July

Frank

Hi Okno - thanks for your input - yes it did cross my mind that many people would be suffering from eating spicy foods they're not used to rather than a virus!! Glad it's all under control - I'll be joining you on 17 June and looking forward to a calm and peaceful cruise.

Frank - don't panic - like any confined space these little bugs can spread. Star and NCL are very good with the hand sanitizers. The automatic dispensers are at the doorways into the public rooms - just one squirt before entering restaurants, using computers etc. Probably something we should have here at all buffet restaurants.

Vera

Hi Frank, what Vera said is true. This pesky bug "norovirus" hits schools, hotles, meeting places et al. It is only when it happens onboard a ship that the media has a field day with it. The use of hand sanitizers do help in prevention. Just using them for ordinary daily cleanliness is a good road for everyone.

Star Cruises takes safety and the well being of their pax and crew very seriously. It is their highest priority.

Sit back, relax and don't worry. Enjoy your cruise to the fullest.

Regards,

Mike

Frank - I totally agree with Mike and Vera. For use on shore excursions (and as a peace of mind back-up) get some Aqium from your local pharmacy (they make a handy purse pack as well - for more details see http://www.egopharm.com.au/products/feature/feature.php). We always keep a purse pack in the car these days, handy to have when out and about :)

On the ship, apart from using the hand sanitisers, avoid shaking hands, wash hands often, and use common sense - and most of all: enjoy your cruise!! 133.gif

Hi Everyone.

I'm currently aboard the Gemini and thought I'd post something about what happened on board thus far and all this virus stuff..

I guess my idea of a cruise is a little squiff. I've had a friend that's been on one before and I've done a lot of research and I figured that a cruise ship would be like going to a major hotel (you know that one tht has those exquisite buffets) and it's be better. Well, thats what I figured anyway. Unfortunately I must say that the Mariners Buffet aboard the Gemini is definately a downgraded version of Sizzler (sorry, it had to be said) and perhaps wasn't what I expected. Other reviews of cruises show that the buffets there are very very very plush with huge desert tables etc; the only thing the buffet desert table gets here is around 4-5 plates which are changed but they're just basic deserts which is a little disappointing.

The Ocean Palace (formal dining) is quite nice. However, it's a choice of foods only and you can generally only choose from 1 fish/meat/chicken/pasta dish for mains but it is a 4 course meal and the deserts there are quite nice - in fact, I like the Ocean Palace for most foods - I wish they did a proper buffet too :)

Now to this virus thing... When we arrived on board there were no hand sanitizer stations (apart from the fixed ones in the library and the gym etc). I started hearing peple getting sick when we sat with others in the Mainers buffet - mainly at breakfast. Even heard that a lot of crew had come down with it as well. I've seen some reports that we took in on board when we boarded the ship in Singapore but theres been no official word on that and the ship started getting sick when we hit Thailand 3 days in. Then suddenly out of the blue there were manned hand sanitizer stations and you weren't allowed to go past without cleaning your hands. When we asked why there was no reason; just that we had to. However we already knew that something was going around so we knew the answer already.

The thing I'm majorly disappointed about is the lack of communication from the administration of the ship (I'm guessing that's the captains decision but not sure). There was no offiial announcement from the captain until 6:30am on the day we were arriving into Hong Kong - this woke most people up and he didn't sound impressed (probobly because he was told to make the announcement by Honk Kong authorities). He addmitted that there was gastro on board and that we would be quarantined becuase of the H.K. authorities - we raised the yellow flag and stayed stranded in HK until around 1pm until they cleared us. We saw the crew rubbing all the walls down with a 1/49 dilution of bleach and air-con kept going off too (but it was for "maitenance") :)

Anyway, we're now onward back to Singapore and the bug seems to be contained. There have been 2 people that have passed away on the ship too - one was an 85 year old man who died on an annuerism and a code blue (they announced it ship wide saying "Mr Bluebird to your station... Cabin XXXX) - we've heard that 3 times on the ship now though - so one code blue must've made it and one of my friends overheard the doctor on the phone saying that he's gone someone currently stable... Anyway...

Lastly, for anyone who's young (<40) that's coming on this ship. My advice is that it's not a fantastic experience socially. I'll be honest 99% of the people on this cruise are of the retired era. Now, I've got nothing against this age group; but the activities on the ship seem to be musical, dancing, bridge and bingo - and thats daily according to the itenary we get each night. So, sunbaking, going to the gym, eating and going on excursions and drinking are the thing us young uns do and we all seem to meet in those areas :)

Anyway, there's more I could say, but I'll leave that for another time.. 33 cents (SGD) is a little expensive to ramble with for Internet access :)

Happy cruising :)

Hi ambient - thanks for posting. Sorry if the cruise does not meet all of your expectations - especially when it comes to food, people have vastly differing opinions and tastes (which is probably good). Hope you are still having a good time overall :) even though the majority of passengers might not be in your age bracket (generally I think longer cruises are more often taken by older pax, as they tend to have more free time available.

thanks also for your observations on the "gastro" saga - if the captain had made earlier announcements, he may well have been accused of 'scare-mongering' (not an easy call for a ship's master ...) Sorry to hear of passenger's death or illness - life goes on aboard ships as well (Calls for 'Mr Bluebird' are for the ship's medical team to proceed to a certain location onboard).

Hope the rest of your cruise proceeds smoothly - let us know your overall feelings when you get back.