Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Thanks for that feedback Vera and Boeckli. I hadn't realised that Virgo also departed same day from same terminal so was glad you told me as I would've panicked if I had arrived and seen lots of people in the throes of boarding (believing Iwas running late! LOL).

We will be able to leave our bags with the concierge and then head over around 1:30 ish as you suggested.

I have read where it is possible to upgrade and wondered if anyone had done this and is it more competetive (depending on bookings etc)?

E onboard (soon):)

Kudalai

Indeed, bookings for the Pacific season is extremely strong and I'm 99% sure bookings for shorter trips will not be possible. It might be released in December 07 if there are still spare capacity as some longer trips have loads of cabins left.

Looks like a trip to Asia might be in order. =)

Previously posted by SSV " Indeed, bookings for the Pacific season is extremely strong."

Hope of a repeat season perhaps for SS GEMINI in the Summer of 2008 on the strength of bookings so far ? From an Aus viewpoint it would be better if any future Australian deployment were around 2 weeks earlier and ending 2 weeks later so as to allow two 13 day round trips to New Zealand after the Australian circumnavigation (Sydney/Melbourne - Milford Sound - Dunedin - Christchurch - Wellington - Napier - Tauranga - Auckland - Bay of Islands - Sydney/Melbourne . ) Also possibly potential for third departure Fremantle - Exmouth - Broome - Fremantle given Star adverts here in Aus say both departures ex Freo are sold out for 2007/08 season .

When there are dual departures from Singapore Cruise Centre as we had VIRGO at 1600 and GEMINI at 1800 , no sense in turning up for GEMINI before the time they tell you as they check in VIRGO largely first , and they just send you away to the waiting / bar areas in the terminal.

Worth trying at Reception on board as soon as you board vessel to see what is available as upgrade and at what cost . Pays to join up in Star Cruiser Card before you upgrade cabin to accrue brownie points for upgrade. Make sure they swipe and activate the card before vessel actually sails . We upgraded from Ocean View with window to Junior Suite for what we thought was a reasonable sum, but don't expect an upgrade necessarily for a bargain basement price .

Ex-frementle to broome etc. is not sold out yet cabins are still bookable if one knows how to source for them. There is also a certain amount(small) of cabin reserved for VVIPs.

Bookings are going on strong when compared to sailings ex-Singapore on the Gemini.

Current management is more far-sighted with plans as far as 2009 being discussed and tentatively confirmed already.

Hope of Gemini having another Pacific season is extremely high especially as there is overcapacity in Winter08(December) if Wasa Queen/Pisces is not sold. Libra, Aquarius and Scorpio(my guess for Dream's new name) will be based in China. Virgo, Gemini, Megastars in Singapore/Malaysia/Pacific.

NOTE: My views do not represent Star Cruises' plan or decision in any capacity.

Hi All

What splendid pics Boeckli, they are great. I also realize now you did the same trip as we will be doing in the second part of mine.

What bay or beach did you tender in Koh Samui and Tioman?

How did you find both islands. Did you do much sightseeing or just beaching and relaxing there.

I am hoping to hire a car in KS and what is the best way to get around Tioman.

Was there much worth buying in both of these places.

Cheers

Les

Hi All

What splendid pics Boeckli, they are great. I also realize now you did the same trip as we will be doing in the second part of mine.

What bay or beach did you tender in Koh Samui and Tioman?

How did you find both islands. Did you do much sightseeing or just beaching and relaxing there.

I am hoping to hire a car in KS and what is the best way to get around Tioman.

Was there much worth buying in both of these places.

Cheers

Les

Glad you all like the pics :)

Les - not sure how the beach on Ko Samui was called, but it is on the NE side of the island (Bophut Beach area) - not sure if hiring a car would be such a good idea :eek: the locals' driving appeared a bit haphazard ... as an alternative - there are always lots of taxis at the jetty who will be just too happy to take you around .... just make sure to agree on the fee, even though their roof signs say 'metered' they probably are not :(

In Tioman, there is really nowhere to go ... The jetty is near the Berjaya Beach resort, if you want to, you can walk thru the resort, grab a taxi (sort of) outside the gates and drive to the "town' (sort of) - it's the main street, with a few souvenir and other shops, then you have the airport on one side and the main jetty on the other. You may be better off enjoying the beach (nice swimming, if the tide is in) or the resorts pool(s). I found a website for tide info : http://www.kjc.gov.my/htdocs2/data/IDM26004.html#Pulau%20Tioman It's updated on weekly basis I think, will give you an approximate idea.

On Ko Samui if you want to be guaranteed of no tide problems, head for Maenam Beach :)

Hi All

Thanks Boeckli, I suppose it depends alot on the weather as well if one decides to spend the day or part of it swimming, I would just hate the thought of being over there and not taking the right opportunity to see things, not so much for myself as I have already seen a bit of Asia but for my Lady.

We have a late checkout in Singapore, do you think if we rolled up to board at lets say 4.30pm there would be no que, or at least a small one.

In HCMC, did you do the ship tour or make your own way around. Was the Rex Hotel a really nice place and was it priced well.

Cheers

Les

Hi All

Thanks Boeckli, I suppose it depends alot on the weather as well if one decides to spend the day or part of it swimming, I would just hate the thought of being over there and not taking the right opportunity to see things, not so much for myself as I have already seen a bit of Asia but for my Lady.

We have a late checkout in Singapore, do you think if we rolled up to board at lets say 4.30pm there would be no que, or at least a small one.

In HCMC, did you do the ship tour or make your own way around. Was the Rex Hotel a really nice place and was it priced well.

Cheers

Les

From memory you're supposed to be onboard by latest 1 hr B4 departure, so maybe 4.30 leaves things a bit late ... In HCMC we took a taxi into town (dropped off at the main post office) which cost us US$ 2. We then walked around and caught taxi back to ship when we had enough. I had read lots of things about Rex hotel (apparently very popular during the war times). You can get details on their website. We just enjoyed a few nice cold (and cheap) beers on the roof garden with very friendly service (while it rained outside - when we came out, rain had stopped :) ). Also went to Caravelle Hotel (Saigon bar 10th floor) - beer more expensive, rather stiff atmosphere, more classy luncheon setup, I guess. They could not care less about us :(

Hi Les, in HCMC in June we did the ship's 'historical/cultural/city' tour which we found very interesting with visits to the Reunification Palace (beautiful place but the two tanks that had knocked down the gates are on display in the garden and found that quite emotional remembering the footage we all saw on tv). Then there was a visit to the Water Puppet Show which was alot of fun, lacquer ware factory, pedal cab ride and quick visits to Museum and Pagoda. We stopped for lunch at a restaurant opposite the Sheraton Hotel which was excellent. And, of course, last stop was the market!

As a first time visitor to HCMC we found this plus the guides info very interesting. Next visit in May 08 we will probably do our own thing although friends say the Mekong Delta tour was good.

Vera

ps there's time to visit the Rex Hotel as it's not far from the markets

Thanks Vera and Boeckli

I suppose the safer thing first time would be the ship ex. From memory do you remember how much per head it was.

Hi E and Hazel,

My Mum finally recieved her Worldwide Card in the mail on Friday so now all 3 of us have them. The only thing which would be nice to have would be the tickets!!

Cheers

Les

Hi Les - the HCMC tour was $70 Sing. pp (about $56 AUD) not bad for a day out and lunch (included beer and soft drink). Pedal cab drivers expected one US dollar each. Plenty of time at the market at the end of the tour to shop, again US dollars seemed most favoured. On one side where the stalls are manned by women in blue uniforms prices are fixed everywhere else, you can bargain but have a look at the fixed prices first to get an idea of how much things are!

Vera

Thanks Vera

I think that sounds like the best value shorex out of all of them, very reasonable in price, Two more weekend to go then into the final couple of days, we fly out on the 12th Sept.

Have to start making and checking the list!

Cheers

Les

Riviera 30 wrote previously ...... "The only thing which would be nice to have would be the tickets!!"

Reminds of story Victor Borge told of getting to the dock for a cruise with his wife. There Borge was at the wharf and he said to Mrs. Borge - " I wish I had bought the piano . " She enquired - why ? Borge replied dryly " because the cruise tickets are on it !!!!!"

Hi all have been reading all your advice; it’s been a great help and passing it on to the other 15 in our group

. We have our 30ish day party coming up and a few questions I have been asked to find out

1/ best place to go snorkelling (tour or not)

2/ best place to go on a elephant ride

3/ does any one have a list of the shore tours to help us plan

Thanks again for all the great advice

Roger

:)

Oct 07 ex Singapore on SS GEMINI is Tioman Island, Ho Chi Minh City, and Koh Samui .

Tour options for Koh Samui via this link : http://www.starcruises.com/destinations/Thailand/kosamui.html

Tour options for Ho Chi Minh City via this link : http://www.starcruises.com/destinations/Vietnam/hochiminh.html

Tour options for Tioman Island via this link : http://www.starcruises.com/destinations/Malaysia/tioman.html

Hope this helps .

Shorex for all cities visited by SSGemini for its Pacific season is now posted on Star Cruises' website. Details include hours, cost and max/min pax required. I must say that the cost of most tours are quite steep, up to approx 220AUD!

We had bathrobes white in Junior Suite on SS GEMINI.

The price of the SS GEMINI Aus shorex must be in HK $ as no one will pay $ 60 for a short transfer to the CBD that would cost you Aus $ 10 max in a taxi.

In the case of Melbourne there is a very frequent light rail tram service like every 5 minutes at nominal cost at the Pier Head that runs to the heart of the CBD. In Sydney for berthings at Circular Quay you are right at the foot of the city, just hoof it or catch the train up town at Circular Quay station for nominal fare . For berthings at Darling Harbour, just walk east up the hill and in 100m you are again in the heart of the city .