Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Well after all the waiting its pretty well just "More of the Same" no real new itineraries, no new ports of call - just 4 extra dates on Asian Oddysey to Hong Kong .

SSV why would Star list GEMINI as Asian duties right up to December 08 when if they decide a repeat Aus season they will have to re-book pax on VIRGO as this year . Does'nt make good planning sense to cover all options .

Oops, looks like the information I had indeed changed. So sorry.

Fiesta @ Sea will be the theme fleetwide starting Oct 07 with Mardi Gras style celebration and activities. Latest news is that with Wasa Queen being sold(soon), SSG will not be heading down under anymore at least till 2009 after this summer 07 season

There are 2 districts in SC's route map. SIN/PKG and Greater Hong Kong/China

SIN/PKG will require at least 2 ships, currently filled by SSV/SSG/WSQ. WSQ will be sold most probably coming Dec/Jan. With SSG going to Australia, SSR will take over from PKG. SSV will definitely stay for good.

Greater Hong Kong/China will require at least 2 ships, currently filled by SSQ/SSR/STP. Like I've said in WSQ thread, there is overcapacity here and its solved by WSQ's deployment to PKG. SP will run daily cruise, SSQ take over SSL's previous routes.

From the reports I have, SIN/PKG area is most profitable(exc. gaming rev)

Most profitable ship : 1) SSV 2) SSG 3) SSR 4) SSQ

SSV will definitely stay in Singapore running trunk routes.

SSR will be in China next year(most probably)

SSG in this case, needs to stay in Singapore for the usual 'foreign' clients.

SSQ will serve Greater China, sailing ex-SSLeo's routes.

STP will serve Hong Kong gaming maket. As is MTA/MAR, based in SIN for her gaming market.

WSQ will be sold as it is considered spare.

SSG can be in Australia, but only during Summer 08 when the new ship arrives unless SC gives up its priority China. With SSC's arrival, SSR will be freed and can begin seasonal sailings from SIN/PKG & Taiwan/Japan & India freeing up SSG for seasonal sailings to Australia.

Only SSG or SSR will sail to Australia with SSG being prime candidate

IMO only when the third ship from NCL is transferred, expected name SSP(Capricorn) then will sailings to Australia be more permanent

Hi Kudalai, saw your post on the Virgo thread

What I've posted is more or less firm just that you cant book the trips with your agent yet, maybe just do some planning first? =)

The ship homeport might not be Singapore anymore, the schedule is very very confusing. If new homeport is PKlang it makes more sense schedule-wise however I doubt there will be traffic for such long cruises.

7-night Straits of Malacca dates :

6, 13, 20, 27 APR08

4 MAY08

22, 29 JUN08

17 AUG08

5, 12, 19, 26 OCT08

2, 9, 16, 23, 30 NOV08

7, 14, 21, 28 DEC08

21-night Straits of Malacca dates :

1 Jun08

21-night South China Sea/Hong Kong dates :

11 MAY08

6 JUL08

21-night Asia 1 dates :

27 JUL08

21-night Asia 2 dates :

24 AUG08

21-night Asia 3 dates :

14 SEP08

14-night Asia 4 dates:

21 SEP08

Oh well, at least the dates are correct:( except for the last Asia 4

SSV could you please confirm / decipher codes in your previous post :

SSV - Virgo SSG - Gemini SSR Libra ? SSQ - Aquarius SP/STP - Pisces

WSQ - Wasa Queen SSP - Capricorn (ex Norwegian ?) SSL - formerly Leo

(Now NCL Spirit) MTA/MAR What does that mean ? SSC - Scorpio ? (ex Norwegian ? )

Also you talk of three new ships one of which is anticipated to arrive late 2008 ex NCL,

a second ex NCL when ?, where and when does the third one come from ?

Also you mention three new ships but only two new names in Scorpio and Capricorn ?

Finally once Wasa Queen goes assume no replacement gaming ship in Port Klang ?

SSV-Virgo, SSG-Gemini, SSQ-Aquarius, SSR-Libra, STP-Pisces,

MAR-Megastar Aries, MTA-Megastar Tauras.

UNCONFIRMED: SSC-Scorpio(second ship from NCL after SSQ), SSP-Capricorn(third ship from NCL after SSC)

Second ship from NCL - Scorpio most probably will start her new career during December08, latest January09.

Third ship from NCL - Capricorn most probably will start her new career after F3 ships are delivered - 09/10.

Fourth ship* - Transfer from NCLA division, I believe there will be a transfer as NCLA's finances will not be satisfactory to Apollo. POAl in that case will be transferred named - Sagittarius. That will complete SC's fleet with 11 ships, Cancer will 99% not be used as a name.

Yes, PKG will not have a replacement ship for WSQ after shes sold. WSQ is scheduled there only as a result of overcapacity in HKG and there is nowhere else for her to be.

Hello everyone- Have jsut resurfaced after one week in bed with terrible Gastro- glad I'm not a cruise this weekend - don't think I could make it- absolutely exhausted. Enough moaning- on the mend and thats what counts.

Riviera 30- so pleased your tickets have arrived at long last!! Les on Sept 5 you mentioned a post by Kudalai about what to pack but I have trawled through postings and can't find anything- can you give me the date of the post please?

E onboard :)

Riviera 30 found it- must have been disorientated when looking ;) - I was talking to friend the other day who is a Asia regular- she and her hsuband never pack more than a "carry on size" bag each!! Left me speechless! (hard to do). So she is obviously one in the same vein as Kudalai and both seasoned travellers.

Did you sort out direction for your cruise? You would presume the website would be correct wouldn't you?

Hi E - hope you're feeling alot better especially with your cruise approaching so soon now.

Kuldalai's post re packing is no 726 on the Virgo board, but there's an addition to it - pack half the clothes you put out and double the money you thought you'd take!

Vera

Hi E and All

Boeckli made a comment about the agent perhaps being wrong, i tend to agree, the cruise agent I think is Infi***y and I checked Star out and I think they would know better so I am sticking with SG to Phuket and back and then th HCMC and back. So theoretically you should be going to Phuket direction on your first leg.

I read Kuldalai's travel report on Virgo forum, I am so much in 2 minds as what to pack. I want to be a little bit up market and showy at nights because one has the old vision of this from the past, but heavy suitcases are another thing to consider as well as the limited space.

I still am leaning towards 1 summer suit, 2 x trousers, 4 or 5 nice evening shirts and then just neat casual for the days as well a beachy things.

We are there for 14 days so I figure I need at least this much, my suit coat will double for a casual jacket if I need as well as it a off white colour.

How are your plans coming along, it wont be far off for you as well.

Cheers

Les

SSV thanks for the info and de-coding .

Previously posted by you in part :

"Second ship from NCL - Scorpio most probably will start her new career during December08, latest January09.

Third ship from NCL - Capricorn most probably will start her new career after F3 ships are delivered - 09/10.

Fourth ship* - Transfer from NCLA division, I believe there will be a transfer as NCLA's finances will not be satisfactory to Apollo. POAl in that case will be transferred named - Sagittarius. That will complete SC's fleet with 11 ships, Cancer will 99% not be used as a name."

There are 12 Star signs less Cancer (not appropriate to use), less LEO still available for use would give a fleet of ten (10) ships in Star Cruises fleet.?

Second vessel to come ex NCL likely to be Norwegian Dream sister vessel to Aquarius ?

Third vessel from NCL fleet expected to be ex Norwegian ?

With the fourth vessel it would make far more sense for Pride of Aloha a newer vessel to go from NCLA into NCL fleet and Norwegian Spirit to come back to Star and re-badged back to SS LEO as that boat was built for the Asian market, and secondly as brother to SS VIRGO it would be interchangeable with VIRGO in Asia in terms of itineraries and parts, maintenance etc .

With Star having put out Press Release re Geminis new itineraries when are bookings expected to be open for new 2008 Asian Season ?

Finally does the * against your reference to fourth ship denote anything special ?

Norwegian Dream transferred next - dec08 as Scorpio most probably.

Norwegian Majesty will only be transferred after F3 is delivered as Capricorn most probably.

You are right, 10 ships less Leo. Sorry for the mistake.

I have not thought of the possibility of Leo returning instead of Aloha. It is certainly possible. If a fourth ship does come, expect another ship to be sold.

Asterisk was put to indicate that the ship MIGHT not be transferred, pending the result of NCLA. NCLA will close shop no doubt as it will not be combined into NCL under Apollo unless some miracle happens.

After Majesty is transferred, then I will say Australia will be the permanent homeport for one of the ship - likely Libra or one of the larger ships.

Hi Riviera 30, plans coming along nicely- starting to put some things aside and make sure hubby has all required etc. Getting excited- unlike yourself not that worried about what to do in Port- keen to relax and not 'jam' our day- so may very well play it by ear and see how we feel.

Only things we're keen to do/ see are: Elephant ride (have heard this can be done at Langkawli or Phuket, and James Bond Island). Other than that mostly want to relax and be spoilt. :D

Check it out at STAR website : http://www.starcruises.com

cruiseguide>fleet>gemini>optionaltours

then click on port of call = VIRGO tour options are listed first, so scroll down

down to GEMINI tours and all the options and details are there for you .

(Special sailings are the ones Singapore to Hong Kong).

So you can do Elephant Riding in Phuket, but not in Langkawi and certainly not at James Bond Island - it is absolutely tiny !!!! the magic of the cinema made it look enormous .

James Bond Island is included in a Tour headed Phang Nga Bay and is normally only offered at Phuket for VIRGO visitations . It was however the highlight of our Phuket visit on SS VIRGO .

The optional tours are very hard to find on STAR website and there should be an obvious tab on the home page, not having them buried within other tabs . Star really need to overhaul their webpage and make it more user friendly like NCL . The existing Star site does the job OK by why they don't piggyback off NCL when they do a better job in that regard beats me.

Hi all,

Star Cruises now has PRE-BOOK ONLINE shorex option for Gemini in Australia.

I am sure this comes as very welcome good news to many of you "down under" who will be cruising with Gemini.

Here's a quick link to pre-book:

http://www.starcruises.com/Destinations/Australia/Adelaide.html

Best,

Mike

Two identical vessels in Crown Jewel and Crown Dynasty were originally built in 1992 and 1993 for the Crown Cruise line . Crown Jewel was sold to Star Cruises in 1994 and became Superstar GEMINI as we know her today albeit with several internal changes and re-furbishments since . Sister ship Crown Dynasty has sailed for many owners including Cunard, and NCL before being sold to Fred Olsen Lines in Europe where it has been sailing under the name of Braemar since 2001.

Now Braemar is to be lengthened by insertion of a new middle section, to increase passenger capacity .

http://www.cruisebusiness.com/news.php?u=20070629122856

So Superstar GEMINI will become unique in that she will be the only survivor of the two original builds to remain in her original hull size as built .

SSV / Mike -

For cabin types that have the fold down upper Pullman type berths being

DA DB and any other types ( Query if CE and CAB have them too on Gemini?) what is the surcharge/charge policy for occupancy of the fold down beds per child for say two (2) children under 10 years of age ?)

Hi kuldalai, Many Gemini cabins in categories DB, DA, CE and CAB do offer 3rd and 4th pax occcupancy. The usual rate for children up to 2 years old is 25% of twin sharing rate, based on two booked adults.

I cannot help with adult 3rd-4th person occupancy rates, as they are different for various cruises. It would be best to check with your TA about these rates.

Hope I have helped some.

Mike

Like Mike said, 3rd and 4th pax rates differ depending on season etc. however, as a guideline:

Executive suites usually have no discount.

Ca-DC is approx 45-62% the most expensive category with the most discount and cheapest with the least discount. If you book earlier, you can get higher % of discount with Star Saver 45/60 days.

Normal fare will only provide up to 52% off.

% above are 3rd and 4th pax charges OFF 1st/2nd pax charge.

Talk about baffling the customers with science. STAR would make it so much easier for themselves , their booking sytem , TAgents and customers if they simplified 3rd and 4th pax occupancy to a simple set of rules like :

(As extra pax in cabin are sheer cream on the cake marginal revenue at marginal cost).

* 3rd & 4th pax as Adults then say 75 % of twin share adult pp rate

* 3rd & 4th pax as Children over 2 and under 15 say 50 %

* 3rd & 4th pax as infants under 2 years say 25 %

The cabins in their normal pp adult rate are already graduated in price according to amenity so introducing extra complexity into the rates is stupid, as applying a simple set of rules as above automatically takes that aspect into account .

The end result would be revenue neutral compared to the existing complex formulas and much easier to sell and administrate .

At times it seems as if STAR head office almost go out of their way to re-invent the wheel and make things so complicated in their marketing and administration .

Its all revenue and yield control. Certain period of time e.g. peak school holiday season, third and fourth berth are filled up more easily thus lower % of discount. Whereas during low season or time when only 2 berths are filled, it is beneficial to lower prices to gain revenue as the capacity will be "wasted" anyway

Its market mentality that different sets of discount apply for different times and condition due to demand and supply. Most cruise line do that in case you are wondering.

Whereas fixed increase in room prices as costs increase are required as they cant have a balcony room cheaper than window because consumers fill out window cabins first if it moves along with demand supply curve yes?

Also, fixed prices are given out to wholesalers/TA/online TAs instead of a guideline 42-48%, lower the discount the better so I dont see why is it complex and troublesome for anyone except for the revenue department.

It all boils down to economics.