Southampton Transfer to Gatwick

wendyp247

I'm new to NCl so please excuse if this has been asked before.

We are schedule to dock on the return at Sunday 5 am. we have a  1 pm flight out of Gatwick.  Are we safe to book the NCL transfer to Gatwick or should we book a private transfer to make sure we arrive in plenty of time to make our flight. NCL says you need to allow 6.5 hours from time of docking to make a flight at Gatwick, I've also read the shuttle doesn't  leave until it's full, which could be 9 am.   Thanks

I am not sure what NCL charges for its transfer but last year we used Smith’s and had a pleasant trip for £105.  We actually changed time of pickup the day before when we had a flight time change and Smith’s acknowledged that and was right on time.  We might have been able to save a little if we had found another couple but were unable to do so on our roll call.

Arrival time is irrelevant, ships berth any when from about 4.30am but disembarkation is normally about 7.00 (haul your own bags) and from 7.30 for regular disembarkation.

Buses leave for the airports from shortly after 8am, with the last bus around 9am. So it rather depends whether NCL will have several buses for LGW, or just the one.

The big factor is that it a sunday. The route to LGW, which heads toward London on the M3 then around London on the notorious M25 beltway, can  be exceptionally slow during the week, but Sundays are normally a dream. Expect a journey time of 2 .5 hrs by bus.

But that timing doesn't give you much wiggle-room unless NCL has more than one bus bound for Gatwick - and I've seen a post on CC which says  that unlike other cruise lines, NCL's Gatwick buses go via Heathrow airport. So that's something you need to check with NCL.

if you book a private transfer the cost is likely to be about the same as two seats on the ship's bus. A car booked for 8am would be ideal, and wheezedr's suggestion of www.smithsforairports.com is a good one.

LGW is also easy by direct National Express bus, but the timing is tight.

Also easy by train - but not on Sundays.

JB :classic_smile: