Lamanai Ruins/Riverboat Tour - Carnival

Clarasgrandma

My husband and I just returned from a cruise and I thought I would share some info on the Lamanai Ruins excursion.  First of all, I was able to price match and save $27.49/pp thanks to another post on CC.  At the end of this tour, we had approximately 1 hr before the last water shuttle to look around the port area.  We started the day off by meeting in a group and being dismissed together.  We were told to meet at a specific pier and look for the sign.  The bus ride was interesting with our guide Bernie who kept us entertained the whole way to and from the ruins.  Once we got to the area where we would board the riverboat, everyone had a bathroom break opportunity and then a chance to buy beverages, etc.  They do not supply any food or drink until after the ruins tour when you are having your lunch.  Everyone wears a life vest on the boat portion of the tour.  Once we got to the ruins area, we were offered another bathroom break and off we went. Lots of walking involved, sometimes on uneven ground.  Mostly gravel/rock paths.  Several ruins to look at.  I recommend wearing close toed shoes for this excursion.  One lady was getting her toe bandaged up as we climbed up the ruin....she had on flip flops and I am assuming her shoe got caught on a step during the climb and her toe got damaged as I had my shoe catch under a step once on the way up also, but I had closed toe shoes so no problem for me and because of the hand railing I was able to catch myself before falling. Only one to climb.  This one has approx 5 levels of wooden steps with hand rails to climb up. Once you reach the top of the wooden steps, you actually climb the last portion on the ruin itself up to the top.  This is somewhat steep but you can go at your own pace.  The view from the top is absolutely stunning!  On the way down, we were given the choice of scooting down those ruin steps on our bottoms which made it a little easier.  Some people chose not to climb up the ruin and waited at the bottom - I saw a guide sharing info with them during this time.  From that point, we were offered a chance to either head back to the riverboat or hike about a mile each way to the last ruin site.  I will say it was somewhat buggy during this excursion.  We each got bit a time or two but not enough to make us want to use bug spray. Once we got back to the lunch location, we were able to scoop out our own rice but the rest of the meal (chicken, plantains, potato salad) was served to us.  It looked like small portions but once we got back to our table, really, for the average person, it was more than enough food.  They also offer a fruit punch  and water to drink.  Bernie kept us entertained on the way back with more history of Belize as well as some small gifts which we thought was a nice touch!  All in all, it was a nice way to spend the day. We got to see a lot.  And the ruins were just amazing to see first hand. If I can ever figure out how to post pictures, I will share some.

We did this tour through Princess and loved it.  Great guide, beautiful ruins and Tour and nice lunch.  Also were thankful for the CC thread about the price match, we were a group of four and I think we each got around $60 on board credit.  We did not have any bugs, thankfully!  

6 minutes ago, indycdca said:

Howmdidmyounget price match? Show online price?

Yes, I just found a private tour that match info with the cruise ship excursion and then submitted online a request to price match. For Carnival, there is a place on the form you fill out to add a link to whatever site you've found to match with.  The more info you can supply, the better chance of getting the price match.  There is a thread on here that has more info if you do a search.  I'm not sure how to link that thread up here for you or I would. 🙂

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing your experience! We just booked this for our next cruise on Breeze. Excited to see Mayan ruins! I hope you can get your photos up, would love to see them! 

How much time time was left at the port before having to get back on board? Was there much to do?

9 hours ago, d-train said:

Thanks for sharing your experience! We just booked this for our next cruise on Breeze. Excited to see Mayan ruins! I hope you can get your photos up, would love to see them! 

How much time time was left at the port before having to get back on board? Was there much to do?

We had enough time to visit a few of the shops on our way back to the tender area....can not remember exact time...but want to say about an hour.....hope this helps...

• 2 months later...
On 4/20/2019 at 9:01 PM, d-train said:

Love the pics! Thanks again for sharing! We signed up for the excursion, looking forward to it!

We just booked this excursion.  Is the riverboat ride bumpy?  Says speedboat, but looks calm in the photos.  DH has back problems.  

6 hours ago, OC SeaPA said:

We just booked this excursion.  Is the riverboat ride bumpy?  Says speedboat, but looks calm in the photos.  DH has back problems.  

We didn't think it was bumpy. We didn't see any other boats and the water was calm.