Cruising to PUERTO COSTA MAYA and COZUMEL

VICKIB114

Hi Guys

We are traveling from Australia and was wondering if we would need Peso's for the Mexico part of our cruise or could we get by with US dollars or we could just us our key card.

Thanks for your help

Vicki

I would say you are more than fine in both with US dollars, I honestly think they prefer it. Most places seemed to take cards as well (probably not key cards). And I would recommend the Mayan ruins in Costa Maya. It’s a bus ride but so very cool!  

FYI, the Mexican Rivera is the Pacific side. None of those ports are on the Pacific side...all are on the Caribbean side, and have their own sub forums of the Caribbean board.

Can I use pesos or dollars in Australia?  I am being sarcastic...have been to Australia several times...ALWAYS used Aussie dollars.

Your key card is to be used on board the ship and not in ports!!

Agree that you have posted on the board for towns on the Pacific side of Mexico and you are going to the Caribbean side. You can use USA $$s but you will get change in pesos. You can use a credit card for large purchases . We live near the border with Mexico in California and so always get pesos to use for our purchases on land.

IF you want specific advice you need to go to the boards for those towns. You can also find info on Trip Advisor forums for those towns as well.

Cozumel has beaches,ruins, and easy taxi to town for shopping if you prefer. The port itself has shops and restaurants.

For your other port there is a bus from the ship into the actual town. The bus is free and the bus company runs tours that are less expensive than the ship tours.